A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upsizing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
ABS module wise, why do we need to enter twice the same data in a different order
I suspect it is a double check for safety reasons considering what this module does.
If you screw up radio coding it's one thing, but this... you mustn't.

why is that coding available and documented in VCDS if it can't change anything?
For coding a virgin module as Jef showed in the video.
The documentation in VCDS wiki is the Ross-Tech value add - that's why you don't see every DTC listed.

Why are security access codes secret?
Same reason we lock our doors
As you start coding newer models you'll find the access codes aren't available anywhere except within VCDS itself.
The easy coding we are used to on D3 is sadly a thing of the past with UDX, and other challenging things like the 'byte 18' issue.

NB: Version 14.10.0 is out along with a firmware upgrade for the dongle.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
If you screw up radio coding it's one thing, but this... you mustn't.
Not really. Brakes work with the broken ABS module. Even without it completely. So safety net is there.

Same reason we lock our doors
So nobody can get in and change my radio settings?

As you start coding newer models you'll find the access codes aren't available anywhere except within VCDS itself.
The easy coding we are used to on D3 is sadly a thing of the past with UDX, and other challenging things like the 'byte 18' issue.
That is counterproductive. Many nice improvements where first made by hackers. Why close that door and deprive yourself of many free smart ideas?

NB: Version 14.10.0 is out along with a firmware upgrade for the dongle.
That was the first step last night.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not really. Brakes work with the broken ABS module. Even without it completely. So safety net is there.
Sticking a foot out would too... just not as well as if the system was functioning properly.
Getting into FMVSS territory and liability here.
If someone will do this... mostly to line lawyer pockets in exchange for a $1.40 pickle voucher... just imagine what they would do if ABS didn't function they way they thought it should

So nobody can get in and change my radio settings?
Yes. Damn kids.

That is counterproductive. Many nice improvements where first made by hackers. Why close that door and deprive yourself of many free smart ideas?
I don't think there's a need to get into IP issues here.
However it's not just a matter of stealing someone else's hard work.

The modules communicate differently now and have many channels - think 255 channels for each old byte.
Instead of 7 bytes you have something like 44E6F20022674F00E200 or 09072091073C9FE18B000804A0003800009CD3088200012180 01085C3B00
Those are my module 03 and 09 codings, respectively.

Based on pull-downs the long coding helper Niels wrote computes the changes, and examples can be seen here.
This adds up to a mountain of information that Ross-Tech chose not to publish (along with the security codes) and instead include in encrypted label files for newer vehicles/modules.
The days of adding +4 to a code to enable/disable something are pretty well gone....

All this said the SAC is available in factory repair manuals most of the time.

That was the first step last night.
There probably aren't many changes for the D3 but always good to have latest version of VCDS.

Last edited by jakematic; 11-06-2014 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added class action lawsuit link
Old 11-06-2014, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Getting into FMVSS territory and liability here.
Scaring us is their way to take over everything. Resistance is not futile.

I don't think there's a need to get into IP issues here.
I was talking about free offer of hackers IP. Nobody is going to steel Audi ABS software and use it on Hyundai (if they need it they will get it from Bosh ). But somebody might come with a good idea, share it here and Audi can have it for free. If Art is not too proud?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Scaring us is their way to take over everything. Resistance is not futile.
Well considering you have a multi-billion dollar company with everything to lose, I can't blame Audi or Bosch (and now TRW) for their positions.

I was talking about free offer of hackers IP. Nobody is going to steel Audi ABS software and use it on Hyundai (if they need it they will get it from Bosh ). But somebody might come with a good idea, share it here and Audi can have it for free. If Art is not too proud?
Well we both know that the modules can be 'touched' by other software.
Art is very proud ! And stubborn
Old 11-06-2014, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well considering you have a multi-billion dollar company with everything to lose, I can't blame Audi or Bosch (and now TRW) for their positions.
All great civilizations trough history had internal problems that eventually brought them down.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

All great civilizations trough history had internal problems that eventually brought them down.
Yep, like democracy and fiat currency

Got me curious now.
Going to have to look up how much each spends on R&D per year and calculate the ratio for legal costs.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

As it was kinda decent temperature outside today, I used the opportunity to change to brakes in the front. Very easy operation, it’s just to unscrew and disconnect everything and then all in reverse with the new stuff.

The new disc on the right and the old one on the left.

The new and old dust shield. Didn't need to be replaced for space, but I guess they didn't make several sizes for fun.

The old front disc on the left and the new rear disc on the right.

A few observations so far:
No left or right carrier, both look exactly the same.
No left or right caliper, it all depends on where you connect the short brake pipe and the bleed screw.
The brake hose for the bigger sizes brakes are slightly longer than for the smaller ones, not sure why as I can’t see the short one being too short for the bigger brakes.
With only the big ones at the front, then brake balance is obviously not good. Don’t have to press the pedal much before the front tires screams for mercy. But probably better than starting with the rears first, that could be more than interesting in braking situation.
Did just a short test drive today, and the ride comfort is remarkably similar to before, despite the increased unsprung weight.

Last edited by NightOwl; 11-10-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, finally I did the rear brakes too. A simple bolt on, but I decided to take the calipers off to be painted as in I did in the front.

First a picture of the new and old rear disc.

And then one on the car.

And finally with the wheel on.

A few observations in the rear.
Left and right carrier fits both sides, not sure which one is correct but I chose the one I think looks best.
There are two brake hoses on each side in the rear, and the outer one for the bigger sizes brakes should be slightly longer than for the smaller ones. Although the short one fit, it’s tight to get the caliper over the pads. Will probably replace all four in the rear during next year.
VCDS gave me no problem with EPB.
Just a short test drive today too, but already the balance feels much better.

Last edited by NightOwl; 11-25-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just realized that I haven't posted a picture showing the front 18" rims full of brakes:

And then one of the whole car: