A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used D3s / Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default 09 is nice with all the LEDS which I like... Oh well, the price was too much

for me as a used car. D4 will be my next A8L after I'm done with this 06 D3.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 09-25-2014, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have test-driven a couple A8s, most recently an '11 A8 SWB with 61k on the ODO. I am wondering if someone could explain how to test/confirm "all modes of the air suspension settings work in the MMI". In both the D3 and D4 I have test-driven, I selected the specific option to 'Lift' or 'Lower' the car, hit the ****, but didn't seem to notice any action up or down [as I sat in the driver's seat]. Is it so seamless/subtle you don't notice, or it is done dynamically when car is in motion? As for the '11 A8, it appears well optioned (with LED headlights, Driver Assist Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, 20" wheels) "priced to sell" at $37K, 1-owner, dealer-serviced. I didn't have a chance to do a full VCDS scan; will do during next visit.

It would either be a CPO'ed 2010 A8 L (at an Audi dealership in CA), for which I already ordered a PPI, or one I can source locally here. (for logistics/cost reasons).

PS: Quite interesting to see some lease returns with 70+k miles and only 1 (perhaps 5k recommended service) record on carfax.

Last edited by ebi718; 09-25-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default A few weeks ago I saw a 2011 SWB 31k miles $41k...

Fully loaded with massage seats, driver assist packages... It's gone now, my wife likes the "L".
<a href="http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=94555&endYear=2013&modelC ode1=A8&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=839 56&startYear=2011&makeCode1=AUDI&searchRadius=500& showcaseListingId=376636291&mmt=%5BAUDI%5BA8%5B%5D %5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=379937878&Log=0">this one has low miles although more expensive</a>. Yes, with 37k miles and only 5 services also. If you go outside the car, you can see the car raises in lift mode. It's about 1:20 minute in this video.

If you can get 2011 or newer, I think it's better to pay more for lower miles and still under warranty. Clean car fax is a must.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 09-26-2014, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Louis.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by milellie111
Do not get an A8 to use as a daily driver. Get a beater vehicle (if you don't already have one) then an A8. You can drive the A8 whenever you want but you are not reliant on it as your primary vehicle. Don't feel like filling up $80 in the gas tank one week? Drive the beater. Want your $1,000 brakes/tires to last 4 years instead of 2? Drive the beater. The A8 is out of commission getting worked on (which it will be at some point), you have the beater to drive. Use the A8 as a luxury and not a neccessity and you will enjoy it more.
This part confuses me. Who is the world buys a large AWD sedan and keeps the miles low and minimizes use? I like mine, but the entire reason I even have it is because it's a luxurious daily driver thats good in snow. That was the huge appeal of my A8 over many other vehicles is it's functionality as a daily driver. It's a great car, but I know eventually it won't be worth much, so it's best to use it and enjoy it rather than save it for the next guy. It sounds like the OP has a backup car anyway, so kind of a moot point though.

I agree about buying a good one and making sure you maintain it to the nines; whether it's at a dealer, indy or DIY. The key to reliability with anything is preventative maintenance. You can make the vast majority of cars reliable if you keep on it. Some cars need more PM than others, and these A8s definitely are needier than a Corolla.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 80srule
This part confuses me. Who is the world buys a large AWD sedan and keeps the miles low and minimizes use? I like mine, but the entire reason I even have it is because it's a luxurious daily driver thats good in snow. That was the huge appeal of my A8 over many other vehicles is it's functionality as a daily driver. It's a great car, but I know eventually it won't be worth much, so it's best to use it and enjoy it rather than save it for the next guy. It sounds like the OP has a backup car anyway, so kind of a moot point though.

I agree about buying a good one and making sure you maintain it to the nines; whether it's at a dealer, indy or DIY. The key to reliability with anything is preventative maintenance. You can make the vast majority of cars reliable if you keep on it. Some cars need more PM than others, and these A8s definitely are needier than a Corolla.
I agree, not putting the miles on a luxury, sport or exotic car is like not having dirty sex with a girlfriend or wife to make her more appealing for her next boyfriend.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I looked for mine for a couple of months as well. I found that the ones I really liked the price on ended up having some issues in their past.

What I ended up doing was setting up a search on Autotrader for my desired years, mileage, and area. Then I copied the search string and put it in a Notepad on the menu bar on my computer. Every day or two I would copy the string again and put it in the browser and see if anything new came up. After about two months I found my A8 in Atlanta with 41K miles and immediately emailed the dealer. Within a day I had negotiated the price as well as my trade (Cayenne S), and my wife and I did the 8 hour drive to do the deal.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:25 PM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Take Your Time and Find The Right One

I agree with most of the comments here and will add my two cents based on my experience. I purchased a '09 A8L in March of 2012 for $37k with 65k miles. I splurged $3k for an extended warranty that will take me to 2017 or 115k miles. I just accelerated past 95k miles...I have had to use the warranty once for a water pump (would have been $1200 w/o warr). In my 30 months and 30k miles I've replaced both articulating headlamps ($350/ea); 3 oil changes ($95/ea) tires at 92k ($1300) and various bulbs and minor items to the tune of another $600. Edmunds says it is worth between $22-25k today.

My vehicle was one-owner, the only way to buy a car in this category. The dealer had an OK reputation (the highest praise I would ever give any dealer)....and the price was a bit below book and nada. I'd been looking for about 6 months and saw a couple of real dogs.

When I had my tires replaced, one was out or round and when the Audi dealer fixed it, they told me the car was as close to perfect as could be. I agree. I don't go easy on it and it rewards me every time I turn it on. It is NOT my daily driver, I have a Dakota 4x4 for that.....I put about 10k per year on each vehicle. Coincidentally, both of my vehicles have almost the exact same mileage on them.

I plan to keep the A8L for at least 5 more years...at 140k it should still be running like the finely crafted machine it is.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:25 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I agree, not putting the miles on a luxury, sport or exotic car is like not having dirty sex with a girlfriend or wife to make her more appealing for her next boyfriend.
It all depends on what you do for a living, I suppose. I buy houses and fix them up to become rentals. There is no need for tenants to see their landlord stylin' on over to collect rent. I'm in my mid-50's and have had a daily driver/nice car combo since I was 30.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
It all depends on what you do for a living, I suppose. I buy houses and fix them up to become rentals. There is no need for tenants to see their landlord stylin' on over to collect rent. I'm in my mid-50's and have had a daily driver/nice car combo since I was 30.
In the event someone says something to me about what I drive, I let them know it is eleven years old and has 230,000 miles on the clock. I also drive a '01 VW Beetle. Also, when I am heading to the ghetto and have to park there, I keep the A8 in my eyesight or I take the bug.

Quick Reply: Used D3s / Questions