A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W12 owners, tell me why I shouldn't upgrade to this one!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by greginfinity
I don't know, I am so fickle. Every day I waffle back and forth between thinking about splurging on a Tesla, or just dumping these stupid depreciating assets all together and getting a decent Camry Hybrid or something. But maybe now that I have an A8, I just am assuming that all other cars are made equally

Thanks all!
Dilemma between Tesla and Camry is unreal. Tesla is a toy for a rich boys, pure waste of money. Camry is for zombies (almost dead people ) If you are concerned about depreciation just keep your A8. That depreciation you already swallowed.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
By the way, never heard of W12 Diesel. Any link?
No W12 diesel for the A8. Only for the Q7.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I really like my W12 and have never regretted getting her. I get compliments from people all the time, not that it should make a difference. I have the black on black 4 seat config. The ACC is one of my favorite things on my W12. I have a different perspective since I drive with hand controls. Long drives before made my hands very sore but now a joy with ACC. I don't use it on daily drives even though I drive about 20 hwy miles each way. If it's in good condition, I would go for it.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by blankhopp
No W12 diesel for the A8. Only for the Q7.
That one is V12 not W12. It wouldn't fit in a8.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Hybrids are not so bad

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman
You'll never forgive yourself for driving an appliance like a Camry if you are seriously looking at a W12.
My long trip vehicle is an ES300H. 70,000 miles in two years and only gas, tires, and oil changes. Not as boring as you might expect.
What it does not have is; suspension that requires regular parts replacement, MMI gears that fail, differentials that only Houdini can get into to service, coil packs that fail, trunk hinges that fail, and brake rotors that only last 70,000 miles.
But I drive the D3 more and more. Just been fixing the issues. The upper control arm bushing should be a recall. Replace with a material tough enough to go 200,000 miles. Tougher MMI gears like Misha sells, agree with Audi that the differential fluid is lifetime (when the fluid fails the differential dies), and replace the OEM rotors every 70K if driven in traffic.
Kind of like the women in my life, high maintenance.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default about the price...

Originally Posted by greginfinity
Loving my car, but I cannot help but lust after this one:

2007 Audi A8 W12 quattro, $22,995 - Cars.com

It has all the things I am missing, adaptive cruise (from what I can tell), the color combo I really want, ventilated/massage seats, B&O (why not!).

Carfax looks decent. Dealer seems to have reviews of a typical auction car lot. I am so tempted to upgrade....
Last week at one of the Manheim auctions a 2007 W12 with 90K sold WHOLESALE for $25K ! So it would seem a very good deal they are offering at retail in the ad.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
That one is V12 not W12. It wouldn't fit in a8.
You are right! My bad. I always thought that they used the W12 in the Q7 but after some resarch now I am so wrong. That's why I love this forum. Always something new to learn!
Old 01-30-2015, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have both the 4.2 ('04) and the 6.0 ('06), the W12 is a step above and I do not get tired of driving it ever. It is black on black, 4 seat configuration. I believe if you buy one you will not regret it, I sure have not. I plan on hanging on to mine for years to come. I put 30k miles on mine this past year and I can easily see it lasting into the 200k miles range, maybe more. It is solid, quiet, and powerful. Most people have no idea what a W12 is, or what it is capable of doing and that is fine with me, stealthy is good. It is a very special car though, there were 229 of them sold in the states in 2006, fewer in 2007. So it is somewhat of a collectors car as well. I took mine to the detailers shop this past week, to have it wet sanded and polished, as well as some touch up work left over from the previous owner. The finish should be near new when I pick it up tonight and I am excited to get it back and get into the drivers seat again.

One quick note to you on your potential purchase. My only concern would be the miles, although 90k miles is not a lot for these cars in my opinion, I have seen 2007's with close to 50k miles on them for a few thousand more. Either way you go you will have no regrets. Just expect the usual expenses involved with ownership that have already been covered within this thread.

Best of luck to you.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I actually bought my A8 over a really amazing A5 that M&I was selling. I've been there, I can tell you that from what I remember, they try to pull "carmax" pricing. As in, no negotiations. They seem really nice and low key, but I've also read some really interesting reviews from some of their customers via google searches. They also pretty much only deal in high end luxury cars, seeing as that's the area they're in.

I think they also deal primarily in Auction cars, so obtaining service history on a used 12 cylinder car is going to be next to impossible, and I think it's also sort of telling the owner ditched it just shy of 100k. If you do get this car, spend the extra dough and buy a really good warranty for it. I'm sure you'll get that money back in no time in savings!

I too disagree with Brozee, I have the Amaretto interior on my 8, and I love it. It really isn't as orangey in person, and wears FAR better than the black, gray, tan that you see everywhere else. It's a real head turner. I think you could probably find one for a better price, but maybe they do negotiate a little. Let us know how it goes! I'm in Chicago, so I can take a ride up there and look at the car for you if you'd like. Scope out some details if I can

Last edited by MikeW83; 01-30-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default a better price ?

Originally Posted by MikeW83
I actually bought my A8 over a really amazing A5 that M&I was selling. I've been there, I can tell you that from what I remember, they try to pull "carmax" pricing. As in, no negotiations. They seem really nice and low key, but I've also read some really interesting reviews from some of their customers via google searches. They also pretty much only deal in high end luxury cars, seeing as that's the area they're in.

I think they also deal primarily in Auction cars, so obtaining service history on a used 12 cylinder car is going to be next to impossible, and I think it's also sort of telling the owner ditched it just shy of 100k. If you do get this car, spend the extra dough and buy a really good warranty for it. I'm sure you'll get that money back in no time in savings!

I too disagree with Brozee, I have the Amaretto interior on my 8, and I love it. It really isn't as orangey in person, and wears FAR better than the black, gray, tan that you see everywhere else. It's a real head turner. I think you could probably find one for a better price, but maybe they do negotiate a little. Let us know how it goes! I'm in Chicago, so I can take a ride up there and look at the car for you if you'd like. Scoop out some details if I can

The seller is asking less than wholesale (you evidently did not see my post in this thread) so how do you figure the price is too high ? If someone has found a car they like you should be more knowledgeable about the real world values before you advise them to pass due to price...with the scarcity of W12s the buyer could be a very long time finding exactly what they want again. And its not likely to be any less expensive.

Quick Reply: W12 owners, tell me why I shouldn't upgrade to this one!