A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Noise On Startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Noise On Startup

So I have noticed that upon startup when it has been sitting for awhile I get a loud grinding noise that lasts for about half a second and it appears to be coming from the steering column or inside the dash. When I turn the car off and start it again there is no sound, only when it has been sitting for a bit.....say 2 hours. I don't see anything moving until a second later when the noise has stopped and the tweeters and MMI screen rise. I don't hear any hissing sounds or what sound like a compressor either.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

You've answered it yourself where to look first. Tweeters or mmi mechanism. Could also be the steering lock disengaging.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

The steering lock disengaging should not cause that noise, is that normal or is something wrong?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Nothing should be making a noise like that unless it's faulty. I'm giving you ideas what to check. I.e Interior motors that run the first few moments after inserting the key/key on.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

probably just one of the vents actuator or something fell in the cabin filter box.... goto the front remove the cabin filter and see if anything strange is in there. look really good, if not check the vents actuators, that is the motors that moves the electronic vents, especially the fresh air vents, the reason you don't hear it immediately, because after the car/gateway goes to sleep the vents close. that takes a while like maybe 10 mins after you close/lock the car. also it could be just one of them defective but that's rear, so you got your work cut out for you.... tip: you can use a high pressure vacuum and suck the vents to see if anything comes up, but you will need to do a dash teardown.... good luck...
Old 05-20-2016, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am thinking it is the steering column unlocking, will get that looked at. On another note when driving out of my parking garage I can hear the brakes echo off of the walls rubbing like tsst....tsst....tsst....tsst should this sound go away after driving a bit or should it not be there at all?
Old 05-20-2016, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ArabianKnight
I am thinking it is the steering column unlocking, will get that looked at. On another note when driving out of my parking garage I can hear the brakes echo off of the walls rubbing like tsst....tsst....tsst....tsst should this sound go away after driving a bit or should it not be there at all?
Is that when you step in the brakes? If so, OEM Audi brakes are quite noisy. Mine did the same thing until I changed to EBC Red pads for front brakes. Much quieter and same stopping power.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

When the car has sat overnight, particularly after a rain or on a dewy morning, you can get a thin layer of corrosion on the surface of the rotor. After I wash my car, it's clearly visible and audible until the first stop or two, where the sound is gone. As long as it goes away quickly, it's fine.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I am on the top of the garage (5 floors) and I still hear it when i leave, without depressing the brakes. It goes away after they heat up apparently a few miles down the road.

Also,just went from Ft. Meade, MD to Johnstown, PA (about 200 miles). It appears that both the braking and acceleration have 2 stages, depending on how firm you depress the pedals, have to get used to that.....have to say though that the ACC works amazing, glad I have that feature.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I am on the top of the garage (5 floors) and I still hear it when i leave, without depressing the brakes. It goes away after they heat up apparently a few miles down the road.

Also,just went from Ft. Meade, MD to Johnstown, PA (about 200 miles). It appears that both the braking and acceleration have 2 stages, depending on how firm you depress the pedals, have to get used to that.....have to say though that the ACC works amazing, glad I have that feature.
That construction they're doing around the north side of Ft. Meade has really got the road messed up. I drive onto base in the Challenger and I feel like the steel ball in a can of spray paint.

Quick Reply: Weird Noise On Startup