A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to buy 2008 Audi A8L, but walked away. :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypocrite ??? Really???

Boy I tell ya what, it doesn't take long for someone to turn things into a personal war of words.....Louis, I have one last thing to offer you based on your quickness to hit the keyboard and call me hypocritical and/or irresponsible......and here it is: That's why they make brand new cars with bumper to bumper warranties, big fancy showrooms, and commissioned salespeople. Anyone is free to spend their money any way they see fit. If the used car market is so much of a gamble that a person is going to spend sleepless nights worried about a bad car purchase, then they are shopping in the wrong place. They need to be at the new car showroom buying something brand new that they wont have to lose any sleep over for 4-5 years, or spend any time waiting in a shop for something to get fixed. Generally, with a new car purchase (or a high-line certified preowned car from a big name brand) they provide loaners when your new car needs something. Lastly, what specifically did I write that implied I was suggesting he be careless? Guys like you mystify me and dulls my interest in sharing the experience I have had over the past 23 years of buying, selling and trading high-end performance cars for my own driving and owning pleasure. Yes Louis I have suffered thru a bad car deal or three in my years but that doesn't detract from the exhilaration of the ones that go right!!! I said it's a crapshoot and anyone who wants to argue that point is ignorant and foolish. The reality is however you can make a square deal out there and an illuminated CEL should not queer a deal. It could be something very small and easy to remedy. On the other hand you could have a complete turd that's about to need a brand new motor. How does anyone ever know? YOU DON'T !!! You can make use of whats available to ya thru pre-purchase inspections and running a VIN history from a dealer (which by the way I have never had any issue with from Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or Lexus) as these are not private records. They are tools to help prospective buyers protect themselves. I would go to the Audi dealer where you are gonna service the car and simply develop a relationship with a service writer and get him or her to pull the history. I did it at Coral Springs Audi in FL where I bought my 2007 one owner S8 that oddly enough was headed to Auction the very next day if I hadn't purchased it. So, there's a car that out of pure happenstance was about to end up at one of these mega used car showrooms and I could have done the exact same thing from there. So, with all that being said.........I'm not sure what your point really is. Enjoy your Christmas out there on the left coast.

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Life is too short to drive to dealers or shops to sit and wait to get things fixed on your car which they may not know what the problems are. Life is too short to spend tons of money to have sleepless night due to car troubles. Life is too short to be careless to get into troubles and try to solve them. Life is too short to be hypocritical and irresponsible.

Yes, there will be tons of advice from the forum, it does take intelligence to disregard unsound advice.

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/2007-a8-right-side-vents-blow-scolding-hot-2872282/#post24608726">Do you know what's like to have bought a wrong car?</a>

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-24-2014, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Buy it, Merry Xmas!

I don't suppose anyone knows an independent pre-sale inspector in the DFW area that specializes in Audi, has VAG-COM, and could go beyond just pulling codes but actually diagnose what caused the code, swap coils to see if the problem moves, etc.?[/QUOTE]

Someone here, Petah maybe can help with someone capable to checking out this car. It is evident that you really want it.
Mine experience with a Check Engine Light was caused by a bad coil pack. But the symptom was very evident. After driving perfectly for about 100 miles that day it started to run rough, misfire, flash the CEL, and lose most power. Was about 5 miles from home and was not sure it would make it. Mine is not a FSI, bad coil pack may not act the same.
Eight new plugs and coil packs were about 250.00 with shipping from Audipartsusa. Took me about two hours to swap. First plugs I have changed in 20 years. Used to do this regularly, when cars had points and plugs and points were 20 - 30k.
The Carfax makes it sound like a solid car. Most likely is. Get it checked or just purchase a warranty.
The evaluation of the dealer is correct. We see these as more than are to them. To them, they see what it has on the books, they get a cut on the profits. They get zero for selling below what they have in it. The salesman is not interested in negotiating if there is no wiggle room.
These are rare in Houston. I see big BMW's all the time. One next door and one across the street. Look for A8's and very seldom spot one. Lots of A-4 and A-6. Lots of 5's and 7's.
Buying a D-3 from a local private seller(best source IMHO) would be tough. But there are several high volume resellers that have everything. Most are a commodity. Paid X dollars, ask X plus 3, want X +2, will take X+1.
One neighbor purchased a cherry, three year old LS-460 for half sticker from Texas Direct. This was three years ago. Gas and oil changes so far.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Make it real simple...

If you want the car because it meets all your criteria, color, milage, model, package etc. Go for it. When I brought my 2008 A8L I simply checked out the carfax to see what the service history was like. Went to the dealership popped the hood let it run while we talked drove it on the highway opneed her up and that's about it.

I didn't do a pre purchase inspection, didn't do a Vag-Com check. I just went with my gut feeling.

If you think the dealer is shady he could've very much have had the engine detailed where as you couldnt see the leaks just a pretty shinny engine compartment. As far as doing any repairs most dealers only want to do enough to get the vehicle through inspection.

Long story short go with your gut and don't second guess yourself.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:30 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have purchased a number of used Audis over the years. I contacted my local Audi dealership, gave them the vin number and they provided me with all factory service work done on the vehicle. When I bought my 2008 S8 from the original owner, I contacted Scottsdale Audi and they emailed me all the service records. The carfax usually tells you where the car was purchased and where service was done. Audi seems to have good inter-dealership communication and, at least in my cases, able to provide all service records.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Any minute now

Any minute now Loius is due to chime in and tell you "your gut" is an irresponsible tool to use in your purchase process........yes I am still a little miffed about his post, can ya tell .....??? Maybe a dallas cowboys win against the redskins will get me past it.

Originally Posted by Youaliar
If you want the car because it meets all your criteria, color, milage, model, package etc. Go for it. When I brought my 2008 A8L I simply checked out the carfax to see what the service history was like. Went to the dealership popped the hood let it run while we talked drove it on the highway opneed her up and that's about it.

I didn't do a pre purchase inspection, didn't do a Vag-Com check. I just went with my gut feeling.

If you think the dealer is shady he could've very much have had the engine detailed where as you couldnt see the leaks just a pretty shinny engine compartment. As far as doing any repairs most dealers only want to do enough to get the vehicle through inspection.

Long story short go with your gut and don't second guess yourself.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lol....

Originally Posted by hunterp27
Any minute now Loius is due to chime in and tell you "your gut" is an irresponsible tool to use in your purchase process........yes I am still a little miffed about his post, can ya tell .....??? Maybe a dallas cowboys win against the redskins will get me past it.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Youaliar
That's about it. The most important thing is how clean the interior is. That can't be fixed.

I am always puzzled with service record fascination. It is record of what was fixed, not of what is wrong. Carfax so and so. If a collision record is there you know that there was collision, but without details it can make you walk away from a perfectly good car. If it is not there you most definitely can't be sure that there was not one. Or more. It is easy to conceal it.

So all those sophisticated online analyses can't help if on the other side you have a crook. But your guts and some knowledge can. We choose our life partners that way. Far more important than used car. Falling in love at the first site does't help either, but sometimes it is difficult to resist.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
That's about it. The most important thing is how clean the interior is. That can't be fixed.

I am always puzzled with service record fascination. It is record of what was fixed, not of what is wrong. Carfax so and so. If a collision record is there you know that there was collision, but without details it can make you walk away from a perfectly good car. If it is not there you most definitely can't be sure that there was not one. Or more. It is easy to conceal it.

So all those sophisticated online analyses can't help if on the other side you have a crook. But your guts and some knowledge can. We choose our life partners that way. Far more important than used car. Falling in love at the first site does't help either, but sometimes it is difficult to resist.
To quote the sales rep at the Audi dealer when I asked him about some paint chips on the nose of the S8... "If you would like to look at the new models, we can take a walk over to that lot"
Carfax only reports what is reported.....plenty of repairs can be a cash exchange or dealer fix with no reportables.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wife called the dealer Friday evening and he told her he had a shop look at it and determined the CEL to be triggered by bad gas. I guess it's theoretically possible, though I've never heard of gas so bad that it triggers a CEL. Only thing I can think of is if he put 87-octane in it instead of premium, but I'd think if that triggered a code at all, it would cause random misfire and not one cylinder so I'm skeptical.

The warranty they offer is ProGuard, not sure if it's any good or if it'd be of much benefit since I've always done all work on cars myself and can handle small to medium size jobs. Biggest job I've done on a car is head gaskets on a pushrod engine, never had to rebuild a bottom end or engine replacement. Mainly warranty would be to avoid huge jobs like that.

Tried calling University Audi of Dallas for service history records 3-times on Friday. 3-times they said they would return my call. 3-times they did not. I think they are a dead end. Also turns me off to getting any kind of pre-purchase inspection done there. Hunter referred me to an independent mechanic that specializes in Audi so I will call that guy.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Be aware of those warranty companies. One of their favorite lines on expensive repairs is "Pre existing conditions are not covered "
You'll argue they'll send a "Investigator" out to make you feel like they're really concerned.

Not sure about the company you mentioned but I'd Google them, look then up on Yelp, and check BBB for complaints and see how many are pretty much the same...

Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
Wife called the dealer Friday evening and he told her he had a shop look at it and determined the CEL to be triggered by bad gas. I guess it's theoretically possible, though I've never heard of gas so bad that it triggers a CEL. Only thing I can think of is if he put 87-octane in it instead of premium, but I'd think if that triggered a code at all, it would cause random misfire and not one cylinder so I'm skeptical.

The warranty they offer is ProGuard, not sure if it's any good or if it'd be of much benefit since I've always done all work on cars myself and can handle small to medium size jobs. Biggest job I've done on a car is head gaskets on a pushrod engine, never had to rebuild a bottom end or engine replacement. Mainly warranty would be to avoid huge jobs like that.

Tried calling University Audi of Dallas for service history records 3-times on Friday. 3-times they said they would return my call. 3-times they did not. I think they are a dead end. Also turns me off to getting any kind of pre-purchase inspection done there. Hunter referred me to an independent mechanic that specializes in Audi so I will call that guy.

Quick Reply: Went to buy 2008 Audi A8L, but walked away. :(