A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to buy 2008 Audi A8L, but walked away. :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
Wife is still dreaming about this car. Dealer dropped asking price to $23k (from $24k). I thought maybe offering $20k is worthwhile for this car considering its problems, after all, no used car is perfect and if it's priced accordingly, might be worth it?

Also found another, better equipped and lower miles. Anyone in the Houston area willing to take a look at it.
I am, PM me the details and will try to go look it over. I can run a scan if left alone for 15 minutes. Ask for a Carfax to see if there is a reason it had three owners the first year.
Sounds like a solid car.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KBB Fair Purchase Price on the 2nd contender is actually $32,968. NADA says $30,100 clean retail. It may actually be the better deal compared to its book prices. Quite a large jump in value for being just 1yr newer.

Unfortunately, we're out of vacation so can't take a look at it in person, and this one is even further away than the first.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

KBB Fair Purchase Price on the 2nd contender is actually $32,968. NADA says $30,100 clean retail. It may actually be the better deal compared to its book prices. Quite a large jump in value for being just 1yr newer.
So it should be $30K-$33K, it is offered for $27K and the $3K jump from nowhere is too much? With this kind of thinking you will newer by an A8.

It is very low millage (try to check it) for A8. Very good year too. So check if it is clean, especially interior, buy it and make your wife happy. They tend to be very grateful.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
So it should be $30K-$33K, it is offered for $27K and the $3K jump from nowhere is too much? With this kind of thinking you will newer by an A8.
Nah, it's not too much. Just mentioned the jump because I think nothing at all changed between 08 and 09 so in that case I might prefer saving money on an 08. Not like 06-07 where there were mechanical changes + new options and 07-08 had aesthetic changes + new options.

However, if this particular car is a good one and the price is reasonable, that's what matters.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

So an update. The 2009 was a far bigger heap than the 2008. PPI results are that it has evidence of right front impact damage, underneath bumper shows impact damage, and the entire car has been repainted, poorly. The mechanic outright told us if we're looking for a clean A8, this is not it. None of this was on the Carfax.

Now the 2008 which had a great body and all original paint, is long gone and no longer an option to go back to. Sadly, I think he may have even had the CEL fixed as I checked Carfax on it again and it had been serviced since. It sold while we were distracted by this 09.

The search continues. May have to give in and buy a Ford Fusion or something since wife's car seems to be on its last legs.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

So an update. The 2009 was a far bigger heap than the 2008. PPI results are that it has evidence of right front impact damage, underneath bumper shows impact damage, and the entire car has been repainted, poorly. The mechanic outright told us if we're looking for a clean A8, this is not it. None of this was on the Carfax.

Now the 2008 which had a great body and all original paint, is long gone and no longer an option to go back to. Sadly, I think he may have even had the CEL fixed as I checked Carfax on it again and it had been serviced since. It sold while we were distracted by this 09.

The search continues. May have to give in and buy a Ford Fusion or something since wife's car seems to be on its last legs.
Another reason to only use Carfax as one piece of data. Nothing like seeing it yourself.

When I bought my '04 at the end of '06 sight unseen, 300 miles away a friend saw the car as he travels a lot like I do for work. He told me the dealer had five, one in my color and it looked good. I looked at internet pictures, called and talked about the car, had them send me a carfax. I gave the $1k down over the phone (they stressed it was non-refundable unless they sold the car to someone else) but until I paid it in full, someone else could buy it. I said fine, it has been there for over three months, I'll gamble and if I lose, there will be another one. Eventually, I had them finance it through their local bank. When I went to get the car, I came the evening before I promised to pick it up. I drove it and all was well except no Nav disc. The internet photos showed a working nav system. Also one of the small speaker grills was missing. I told them to rob another car of these two items otherwise I was walking. Didn't care about losing 1K. They took care of it. Also, if the car turned out to be a lemon, I would have returned it right to their bank. I could care less about ruined credit. I just wanted to avoid getting screwed,

Most car rental places have deals on weekly/monthly rentals to get you by until you find a car you want to buy. Just sayin'....

Last edited by Mister Bally; 02-17-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this car is in the Dallas area I can check it out I have a VCDS cable. Just let ne know.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nah, don't do that..........you will regret it. Gimme your search parameters: color mileage options and so forth. I have access to the auction from time to time and I'll keep looking for ya. I can typically get a car thru my buddy who is a dealer here in Dallas for $750.00 over what he pays. It pays for his time and hassle of doing a deal that he otherwise would make a couple to three grand on. Just a thought for ya to consider.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Really low mile example of an A8L

Here is s cherry looking rig but its pricey and might not be your colors. Its mileage is really really low though and appears to be in awesome shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A8-2009-audi-a-8-l-navigation-camera-heated-rear-seats-/131419667453?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e9938fbfd&item=131419667453&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 02-19-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wife's car is still hanging in there, so going to cross our fingers and hope we don't need to go the temp car route.

Thanks for the offer. Must haves are:
- Black on black
- LWB
- Ventilated seats
- Blindspot warning

Prefer under 100k and looking at $20-30k. May consider higher if it has extra options like extended leather, dual pane windows, B&O, alcantara, etc., though seems those things are really rare.

3 on Autotrader/cars.com fit our minimum requirements, though all from the Northeast which makes the wife very nervous. From what I've seen, I'd never consider a steel bodied car this old from the Northeast, but how well do A8s hold up?

Also not sure we'd be willing to commit to something without a PPI and I'm guessing that's something we might not be able to do if someone just buys a car at auction for us. That 09 would have been a nightmare come true and we never would have known without a PPI. The way the mechanic described it, it sounded as bad or worse than something with a salvage title. For the curious or someone Googling its VIN, this is it:
2009 Audi A8 L 4.2L Used Car Details | Houston Northside Alfa Romeo - FIAT | Spring TX Fiat Alfa Romeo Used Car Dealer serving Houston, Texas
Definitely avoid that one! Such a bummer, as it has almost everything (except B&O and alcantara). Have to wonder if they used such a terrible camera on purpose.

Quick Reply: Went to buy 2008 Audi A8L, but walked away. :(