A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does this button do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this button do?

I have a couple buttons/things that I don't know what they do... because they don't seem to do anything. So I'm guessing either they are broken or my car doesn't have the option to do what they are supposed to do.

I thought this might fold the mirrors in or something. Nothing happens when I push the **** to this position. Do I need to indicate a mirror when I push it down? I've only tried it in the center position. I've tried to search on it but I don't really know what to call it.

I've tried pushing it. I've tried holding it. Nothing happens that I can see. What is this supposed to do?

Last edited by Dusty280z; 07-07-2015 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Reduce picture size
Old 07-07-2015, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The first one is not a button. It just indicates **** position that folds mirrors. The second one is for ambient lights.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Twist the **** round to that position and the mirrors will fold. Also if the **** is in the right mirror control position, the mirror will dip automatically when you shift into reverse.

The roof console button as advised switches the interior ambient lighting on and off.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In regards to the mirror switch, your car must be equipped with the feature to work. My '08 shows that symbol just like yours, but I don't have folding mirrors.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This thread is funny, because it's so familiar to me. For the first few months that I owned my A8, I kept on discovering new buttons whose function was a complete mystery to me. Typically if my wife was in the car, I'd point to the button and ask her to look up what it did. I think I've got a handle on this car now, but it was sure a transition from my older less complex cars.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Twist the **** round to that position and the mirrors will fold. Also if the **** is in the right mirror control position, the mirror will dip automatically when you shift into reverse.

The roof console button as advised switches the interior ambient lighting on and off.
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE. Mirrors are folding back/up now that I know how to activate it. The mirror dipping when I shift into reverse is EXCELLENT. Now how do I get it to automatically go back to where it was? I assume there is a way since everything else in the car is so automated.

The roof console button must be broken because it doesn't seem to do anything. I believe, in fact, that the lights it is supposed to control are permanently on. (two led's in the bottom of the mirror)

Originally Posted by seamore2001
This thread is funny, because it's so familiar to me. For the first few months that I owned my A8, I kept on discovering new buttons whose function was a complete mystery to me. Typically if my wife was in the car, I'd point to the button and ask her to look up what it did. I think I've got a handle on this car now, but it was sure a transition from my older less complex cars.
There are so many buttons... I love buttons. I have been googling my butt off for the past few days as I discover things I can't explain that don't happen on my 350z.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty280z
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE. Mirrors are folding back/up now that I know how to activate it. The mirror dipping when I shift into reverse is EXCELLENT. Now how do I get it to automatically go back to where it was? I assume there is a way since everything else in the car is so automated.

The roof console button must be broken because it doesn't seem to do anything. I believe, in fact, that the lights it is supposed to control are permanently on. (two led's in the bottom of the mirror)
There are so many buttons... I love buttons. I have been googling my butt off for the past few days as I discover things I can't explain that don't happen on my 350z.
The big light button in your photo cycles through the interior lighting custom "schemes" which you get to in MMI by car -> setup -> lighting IIRC. You can have "cockpit" mode, with everything off but the cluster/controls; "city", with the inside lights on dimly (you set the brightness of footwell, overhead, and door panel lighting). I've set mine quite bright in the rear seat ares for driving on well-lit roads. Then click again for "Highway" and most all but the door panels go off on my car; they just look too cool to shut off!. I think there may be an "Off" position within the cycle, not sure.
If you want the lights on to find a dropped cartridge or something, just push the light button - the one in center of three with the yellow light and "door" icon; it cycles through front, rear, both or door-dependent(rear door open = rear lights on) I love that feature!
Also, if you hold the on button next to that door button down the lights come on and cycle bright/dim/bright. Wherever you leave it is where it will come on next time you turn it on!
Yes I love LIGHTS and these cars are a lighting designer's wet dream.
RTFM with all due respect, and I feel your excitement. Could N o t believe it when I read this stuff.
Tom
Old 07-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic
RTFM with all due respect, and I feel your excitement. Could N o t believe it when I read this stuff.
Tom
If I had a manual I would have studied it like I was prepping for an exam, but the car didn't come with one and I haven't had the opportunity to go to audi to order one. I supposed I could do it online. Gonna go check amazon. Thanks for the help btw.

Edit: Checked amazon, $90. I found a pdf manual. Excellent.

Last edited by Dusty280z; 07-08-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

The two lights on the bottom of the mirror are controlled by the light buttons on each side of the overhead console. They are the "map lights", as opposed to the big white rectangular ones that come on when you open the door (depending on how you have the other overhead lighting switch set), plus the big rectangular lights change dimming settings in some of the lighting modes like "City" that are controlled by that button in back center of overhead console. Also controlled by MMI, which is how I normally do it.

Manual doesn't cost $90 BTW--for the owners manual. On Amazon you were likely looking at the shop manual (Bentley). There are two primary owner's type manuals for the car--the standard owners manual, and the MMI one which is entirely separate. Sold on e bay a lot, probably often supplied by a variety of low lifes in the distribution channels who took them out of your car along the way...

Originally Posted by Dusty280z

Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check audi-resource for the manual they have an online one they are adding to and some quick reference guides.

Quick Reply: What does this button do?