A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What trends do you hope Audi will defy?

Old 05-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I hope Audi defies the elimination of manual transmissions. Sadly, the only model currently available with a stick is the R8. Even the TT's only come with slushboxes these days.

The S4 that I just ordered would beg to differ.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default #5 Front window sills are lower than the hood

Don't do it Audi!
Attached Images   
Old 05-02-2014, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by angryRotarian
The S4 that I just ordered would beg to differ.
So a TTS is slushbox only but an S4 still can get a stick. Wow. Enjoy your S4 and thanks for helping "Save the Manuals".
Old 05-02-2014, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

So a TTS is slushbox only but an S4 still can get a stick. Wow. Enjoy your S4 and thanks for helping "Save the Manuals".
Do you even know what a slushbox is? Slushbox refers to a traditional automatic transmission with a torque converter. The TTS does not have an automatic transmission. It has a dual clutch transmission, which falls into the category of automated manual transmissions or aka semi-automatic transmission. There is nothing slushy about a DSG. The similarities to an automatic transmission are purely superficial.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Do you even know what a slushbox is?
It is somehow obvious that you are not driving A8.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
It is somehow obvious that you are not driving A8.
Sorry, didn't realize you guys were a members only kinda crowd.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
Do you even know what a slushbox is? Slushbox refers to a traditional automatic transmission with a torque converter. The TTS does not have an automatic transmission. It has a dual clutch transmission, which falls into the category of automated manual transmissions or aka semi-automatic transmission. There is nothing slushy about a DSG. The similarities to an automatic transmission are purely superficial.
Reworded for you:

So, a 2014 TTS is only available with an automatic transmission but an S4 still can get a stick. Wow. Enjoy your S4 and thanks for helping "Save the Manuals".

I never looked close at the construction of a Dual Clutch automatic. Since I first started driving in '77 or so, I have only had manual transmissions save for the minivan when kids came along and my first car, a '74 VW Super Beetle with their "Automatic Stickshift" that I soon removed and replaced with a totally manual 4 speed. And my '04 A8, which is not available with a stick. Even my '87 5000 CS quattro had a five speed manual.

Again, thanks for helping "Save the Manuals"!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Reworded for you:

So, a 2014 TTS is only available with an automatic transmission but an S4 still can get a stick. Wow. Enjoy your S4 and thanks for helping "Save the Manuals".

I never looked close at the construction of a Dual Clutch automatic. Since I first started driving in '77 or so, I have only had manual transmissions save for the minivan when kids came along and my first car, a '74 VW Super Beetle with their "Automatic Stickshift" that I soon removed and replaced with a totally manual 4 speed. And my '04 A8, which is not available with a stick. Even my '87 5000 CS quattro had a five speed manual.

Again, thanks for helping "Save the Manuals"!
Happy to contribute to the cause. The lack of a manual option with AWD is actually what ruled the ATS out, leaving me with the unoriginal 335xi vs S4. Needless to say, the F30 3 series, while nice, is not the S4.

Thanks Audi for keeping the manual option! Please don't drop them altogether as some of us like rowing the gears ourselves!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 03_AR_CO
+1 on the dinosaur, the older I get the less interest I have for driving a manual, I like things easier these days
That's why Automatics or <choke> Manuals should be an option on sportscars. IMHO.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Question for stick lowers: is paddle shifting manual or automatic?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What trends do you hope Audi will defy?