A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What trends do you hope Audi will defy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Question for stick lowers: is paddle shifting manual or automatic?
+2 (paddles), MishaR!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Any transmission that changes gear without the operation of a clutch and shifter directly by the driver is an automatic. No argument.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Any transmission that changes gear without the operation of a clutch and shifter directly by the driver is an automatic. No argument.
OK. So all real sports and racing cars this days have automatic transmission. Starting with Formula 1, Le Mans prototypes, all WRC cars, Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Porsche's, Bugatti's ... everything really fast. Driving fast one have much more important things to do than to shift gears. Automatic transmission do that much better anyways.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Yes, they are all automatics of one form or another. Note that I'm not bringing into question what sort of transmission is better from an outright speed perspective (whole different topic), just what defines an automatic vs manual transmission.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Point taken. Let's see than if synchronized gearbox is real manual. No need for a double clutch. It deprives gear shifting of any skill.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Point taken. Let's see than if synchronized gearbox is real manual. No need for a double clutch. It deprives gear shifting of any skill.
That and the current crop of manual gearboxes that automatically rev match on a downshift as in all 2014 Audi models that still come with a manual gearbox and the new M3/M4 etc.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Like I said, if it has a clutch pedal and a shifter that have to be operated each time a gear change happens, it's a manual. Syncro and rev matching are just conveniences to help the process.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Like I said, if it has a clutch pedal and a shifter that have to be operated each time a gear change happens, it's a manual. Syncro and rev matching are just conveniences to help the process.
LOL! Make the theory fit your world view :-). So, syncros and rev matching are simply conveniences, but the computer operating the clutch automatically in a dual-clutch transmission is going too far...interesting.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Originally Posted by superswiss
LOL! Make the theory fit your world view :-). So, syncros and rev matching are simply conveniences, but the computer operating the clutch automatically in a dual-clutch transmission is going too far...interesting.
All I'm talking about is about what defines a manual trans vs an auto. What you're talking about I don't know??? So "LOL" right back at ya!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All I'm talking about is about what defines a manual trans vs an auto. What you're talking about I don't know??? So "LOL" right back at ya!
I'm pointing out that the lines are getting blurred. Moreover, though, you are leaving out an important category of transmissions. The most common type of that category is the dual-clutch transmission, but in general these transmissions are referred to as semi-automatic transmissions or automated manual transmissions. Following is a good definition from Wikipedia. Modern versions of these transmissions have a fully automatic mode for convenience.

A semi-automatic transmission (SAT) (also known as a clutchless manual transmission, automated manual transmission, flappy-paddle gearbox, or paddle-shift gearbox) is an automobile transmission that does not change gears automatically, but rather facilitates manual gear changes by dispensing with the need to press a clutch pedal at the same time as changing gears. It uses electronic sensors, pneumatics, processors and actuators to execute gear shifts on the command of the driver or by a computer. This removes the need for a clutch pedal which the driver otherwise needs to depress before making a gear change, since the clutch itself is actuated by electronic equipment which can synchronise the timing and torque required to make quick, smooth gear shifts. The system was designed by automobile manufacturers to provide a better driving experience through fast overtaking maneuvers on highways.

The full write up is here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-au...c_transmission

Quick Reply: What trends do you hope Audi will defy?