A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will fix-a-flat damage TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will fix-a-flat damage TPMS?

I have always kept a can of Fix-a-Flat in my car. For most small leaks, like nail holes it will get you to a garage. I have a can in the A8, but have not yet needed to use it. I had a thought. Would using it damage the pressure sensing valve stem?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default No...

putting aside whether to use it or not, technically it shouldn't affect it.

The sensor part of the unit is sealed--as in, you can't change the batteries absent a homebrew cut it open approach. The stem is just barely exposed on the inside--a small amount of the ball shaped area where it fastens to the sensor and allows a little fit adjustment. Even there, an inner rubber sealing washer basically covers it. But if you don't change wheels, you wouldn't touch it to start with unless the batteries go low. Could easily be wiped clean even if anything got on there. Theoretically it could get in the back of the torx head screw that attaches the sensor to the stem (the only way it is actually mechanically fastened). But again that could be picked out, and torque on it is light anyway--no more than modest screwdriver torque basically. Plus, the goop will tend to get thrown outward toward the tire anyway when the wheel spins.

Tire monkeys will curse at you though.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woke up Sunday to find my B8 back right running low. Drove it to church and when I came out of church it was lower... Was about 1/4 mile to a Pep Boys so made it there with the thought that I can put fix-a-flat in and bring it to my regular ture guy next to my work today...

When I walked in and told him my story, both mechanics said "oh ****" out loud. They have seen numerous sensors can completely ruined by the fix-a-flat. When he looked through the Audi manual, it actually says do not use it... Luckily he was able to wipe off the gook and it is ok (Thank God)

I pay like $12 a year for Geico roadside, I definitely learned my lesson this time and will not be using it ever again!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

They don't get ruined, they can get covered in goop and unless it gets cleaned off, it can interfere with the function of the unit.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The latex sealant is pretty everything friendly - like Green slime. But that fix a flat is nasty stuff, what a horrible smell and sticks to everything.

Tire sensors look pretty robust to me, they would have had to design with sealant or some tire goop (bead sealant) in mind.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Well, there's this

Originally Posted by MikeNSX
I have always kept a can of Fix-a-Flat in my car. For most small leaks, like nail holes it will get you to a garage. I have a can in the A8, but have not yet needed to use it. I had a thought. Would using it damage the pressure sensing valve stem?

Thanks
AudiEnthusiasts Tire Repair Kit
Old 02-11-2016, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they will no ruin your sensor but will ruin your wheels
Old 02-11-2016, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

From the fix-a-flat website:

Will Fix-A-Flat® damage my tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)?
As stated on the can, it is important to have your tire inspected and repaired as soon as possible and notify the tire care professional that Fix-A-Flat® has been installed. At the time the affected tire is inspected by a tire care professional, they should clean the sealant from the tire, prepare the area and repair with a Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (RMA) approved patch/plug. The TPMS device should also be cleaned off with water to remove any sealant which may have come into contact with the device. After the repaired tire is replaced and inflated the TPMS system will resume operating as normal.