A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window tint

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Not in my case

Around here in SF Bay Area, tinting is sometimes very dark for (non-) show. And then also sometimes I suspect to aid lawbreakers in carpool lanes and such, sometimes laughably with a baby on board sign to boot. Seen that game? Not always of course, but I notice some correlation if you look closely, sometimes empty baby seats and all. Easier to see from SUV height. An increasing version of the game seems to involve cell phones and texting; again some correlation if you look around, though it's rampant in general, let alone the also laughable "crotch gazing" fad of the the last few years. If I can see the games even from sedan height and with all but quasi limo (asking for a fix it ticket) tint, Johny Law certainly can too.

More seriously, in other parts of country, you want it for heat load.

In my own case, I lived with my once new 2000 A6 4.2 and how the interior got beat to hell sitting in the full sun parking lot 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, 240-250 days a year. Kind of broke my heart since it was one of the few I bought brand new. Had to finally replace (very painfully) the dash which curled up on the two ends; old vs. the replacement I got was dramatic on the sun damage when put side by side. Saw the same trends on my C4 and C3 over the years too, especially since each stayed in the family after my use. Hence quality side and rear tinting on D3. Was not going to let it happen on my extended leather and alcantara W12. A guy in Fremont actually for all of mine. Cut way, way down on sun damage. My D3 interior looks very nice and still quite fresh at 8 years since its build. My A6 was looking like your faded old Honda junkier look by the same 8 years. Both with dark paint colors; A6 also had solar roof and I was using a quality full windshield shade when parked a lot at work. And if you get a performance type tint, drops way down on heat producing iR relative to light reduction. Thus on mine it has 50% reduction tint in back and only 30% down in front. Looks stock basically in most light conditions, yet sun load and heat is way down. Much less apparent (visible) light reduction than factory SUV type tint, so much better night time/low light visibility toward rear. Also, many think typical SUV darker factory glass tint does the same kind of thing iR or uV wise, but variously it often isn't so effective on iR heat rejection (relative to % shading) and it may not be all that effective for long term sun damage type issues either. True solar glass is different, but that's unusual and sometimes pricy Porsche option type stuff.

FWIW, if you buy a newer Audi with a panoramic roof (like all the D4 L's), you may find yourself tinting the roof glass yet more too. I have on both the Mini and the Q5 with big glass panels. If you get out to the Central Valley or even around here on a very hot day, you really feel the heat even with the built in sunshade closed. Again modest further reduction light value wise, but even a good 30% down tint (70 % transmission) can take out close to half the heat load, yet the airiness still feels great.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-22-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just wanted a light tint to help with the sun thats all nothing dark. thought you guys might know what piece was doing this and if it was possible to fix it without tearing something up in the door thats all.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It's a pain to have to remove the old tint...

I bought a black XJ6 many years ago with dark windows tint all around, looked great but when I had to remove them, especially with the back window with all the defroster copper wires. The x-owner had to reduce $500 off the price for me to take them off. It's still not worth the labor. It doesn't matter how expensive and high quality of the film, it's still degraded over time.
The sun is bad sometimes, but I do roll down the windows a little to let the heat out in the parking lot.
The rear with the screens do help and the front with a big after market shield do help blocking the rays and heat a little.
I would never buy a car with tinted windows regardless how good it looks. Again, it's just my experience.

Cheers,

Louis