A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB 2006-2007 AUDI A8 what to look for?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Also with 2007+, you can try to find one with Bang & Olufsen stereo. It was originally a $6K option but doesn't add to much to a used vehicle. If you are an audiophile, you will notice a big difference but if not, the Bose sounds good for 90% of the customers.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I've been over ruled.
Everything depends on your budget. Adaptive cruise and B&O are hard to find. Don't be afraid to travel a bit for the right one.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys
Travel isn't issue , I cant afford 2008.
So it will be 2006 or 2007 .
Adaptive cruise isn't an issue for me.
I guess ill see what better deal I can get on both years and Ill try to aim for 2007.
Worst case on 2006 if the timing belt wasn't replace I will do it right away.
Once again thanks guys
Old 10-18-2016, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Also look for a car with AMI. That was my biggest regret with my D3. I had a 2005 without AMI and I really missed the ability to listen to audio from my phone. Personally I wouldn't own one without adaptive cruise either.
You don't need to find a car with AMI. Don't use this as a dealbreaker. Duke, why didn't you just put a AMI in your 2005? I put one in my 2005 myself and got all the kit for less than $350. So definitely don't make this a reason not to get a D3 in great shape over one with an AMI (audi music interface)

Adaptive cruise is a nice feature, but it's prone to breaking and falling out of sync. Happened to me twice. Regardless it is a nice feature if the price is right but it is far behind the adaptive cruise on modern day cars. Just like everything on these cars, remember all the tech incorporated is from 2003-2005. I.e. the bluetooth is near useless for call quality, the AMI is nice but without bluetooth streaming it isn't that great, and the bluetooth dongle isn't worth the $$$.

Essentially look for what is in good shape. I.e. the interior, the suspension, and the engine. If it doesn't have little bells and whistles that's not an issue.

Main things after owning two D3's. Get a 2007 or newer. Listen to everything MP stated in his post.

Last edited by Brozee; 10-18-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I didn't retrofit AMI because I decided to get a D4. It was on my list of things to do. But it's probably worth it to just get a car with it already.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

My brother's D3 has excellent bluetooth call quality, not sure what was wrong with yours Brozee, but you're right, AMI is great to have already, but is a simple enough retrofit.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

guts what about 2006 W12?
whats AMI?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2016, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts

Don't agree with either the bluetooth or the ACC comment actually, having owned both D3 and now D4 with both of them factory.

I continue to think somewhere between 90 and 99% of bluetooth issues are ultimately phone side, not car side, even though no one ever seems to want to admit phones take hard hits about 100+ times more than cars. The one time I had an issue with hearing other person on D3W12, I found same issue on Q5, which led me back to phone. The just replaced phone the supposed Apple Gods gave me at the flagship Palo Alto store where Tim Cook and others periodically materialize. The same phone they swore was not broken when they synced it to a speaker set to play music. The same phone I had to educate the "Geniuses" at a known flagship store no less that music (A2DP) bluetooth is completely different than phone (call) bluetooth. The same phone that indeed was yet another Apple lemon right out of the store after the prior one went back the preceding week for failed logic for SIM card. Anyway, no obvious quality difference from Q5 to D3 to D4, and with same phone (currently 6+)owned across all three.

ACC: worked well. Far better than Toyota/Lexus of similar vintage (2004) that wife would whack out of alignment occasionally and that was much more herky jerky and approximate speed wise than ever smooth W12. Never had a calibration issue, and had car aligned twice with my standard low budget tire shop guys that do the pickups and SUV's all day long. New one can go down to zero and now has twin sensors, but as they go very accurate tracking. I really don't think that (or many other aspects of D3) are particularly obsolete against similar equipment in D4. Had to get into tricky mountain corner sweepers at decreasing radiuses with semis in other lane at big speed differences to fake it out. Corner cases where frankly ACC or even std. cruise probably shouldn't be used, at least without being right there ready for either brakes or gas in literally a second. Did/do it consciously to see how system responds to toughest scenarios. It would black out pretty easily in rain, but once again not really when it should be used. Still haven't finished my fog testing as another corner case--not to go faster but to see using a low default speed and then overriding with a little more gas if it can pick things up beyond my sight range and actually give me another heads up.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-18-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah the Bluetooth in my 2005 works flawlessly. Very clear to the point that people who are on the other line ask if I'm at home or something.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Junius
Yeah the Bluetooth in my 2005 works flawlessly. Very clear to the point that people who are on the other line ask if I'm at home or something.
Bluetooth in my 2006 improved with the latest round of MMI software updates. So I believe there is a fix for those who are having issues. I recall there were 2 discs in the latest upgrade; most folks only ran the 1st disc, but the phone bluetooth fixes were on the 2nd disc. That made the difference for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTB 2006-2007 AUDI A8 what to look for?