A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon light on one side is no longer working

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon light on one side is no longer working

Good morning! Everyone!
It’s been a while when I was posting anything in this forum. Life was so busy!
Anyway, recently I started to have strange issue. In the evening started the car, turn on lights. In few min. parked at the gas station. Started again and the xenon from passenger side stopped working.
Next day everything started to work again with no issues and the warning went away from the dash board. Then few days later when I’ve started the car I noticed the Passenger head light started up with noticeable delay from the driver side. Yesterday evening it didn’t light up again.
Does anyone have any suggestions on the troubleshooting steps? The car is A8 2007 4.2 FSI. It is hard to blame the Xenon bulbs at this age (I think). But if that’s what it is can someone suggest the brand and how to replace it?

Thanks a lot!

Victor
Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Loose electrical connector, corrosion in wiring harness somewhere (unlikely unless tampered with or car was in an accident) Igniter or bulb. Use standard automotive troubleshooting techniques.

Good bulbs last about 5 years under average useage. Less under constant use or lots or power on-off-on cycles such as auto mde driving under bridges etc. Cheap Chinese junk bulbs last about half the time under the same use from my experience. Usual failure mode is the light color is pink instead of white/blue for a few weeks. Then, nothing.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Somehow I do not think that is the connector or wiring... No accident on the car.
That's why I'm not sure what will be the next step for me.
Buying the bulbs may not solve the issue.
Igniter - not sure as well...
So, the "standard" troubleshooting techniques is really out of picture for me as it is more about Igniter or Bulb question.

I hope someone had same issue and will be able to point me to the right path.

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Std. troubleshooting to me is in there...

which to me says, take out the bulb(s) and either replace or reinsert as first step w/ headlights. More detailed troubleshooting approach is to swap them side to side. Then proceed to igniter w/ same approach.

Of course the diagnostic issue is a combination of nothing is a sure thing here (the way bulbs and socket/connector electrical typically are), and the HID bulbs-- if you mean that by "xenon"--are a hassle to get to. You have to go in through the plastic fender lining, but its not a big deal once you have done it once. Wheel off, punch out a few quasi sacrificial retaining plastic pins/clips, remove a few screws, undo fasteners at fender liner to belly pan, and start pulling it away. Only need to pull away front half of it generally in front of the strut area, and the plastic liner is flexible enough to let you bend it up some. Been posted on a fair number of times before, including in last few months. If you mean halogen by "xenon" instead, then easier here--no igniter, somewhat more access, etc. But most blinking light type issues seem to involve the car having being HID's.

You could also VAG COM/VCDS it. But assuming no warning lights that may not show anything.

Net, most posts by folks w/ the issue seem to resolve with either a bulb change and/or getting in there to the ignitor connector and taking it off and on the bulb.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-24-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 and since it is a bit of labor I would start here.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Might be of help that i just had the exact same issue and was fixed with replacing the xenon ballast. It's fixed with 3 screws on the side of the headlight. Could also of course be the igniter in your case, less likely the bulb

Last edited by brigadier; 10-25-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

For those that wonder what I mean by "standard automotive troubleshooting techniques"; these are procedures that are learned over many years of working on vehicles. For me, out of necessity to save money to afford vehicles I have no business owning. I also would read entire vehicle service manuals bought when I first buy a new vehicle.

I have also taken some Automotive Service classes at local community colleges in the past. This was prior to the internet but be careful with internet "help pages". Many are there just to sucker you in to buying their parts. Recently one for a Trailblazer/Envoy had me convinced I needed a transfer case switching motor ($200.00 part). Instead, with standard troubleshooting technques, I determined it was a front wheel bearing, a $140.00 part. Symptom was a "dragging" feeling as if 4WD, Low was engaged but there was no problem turning at all speeds.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 10-25-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everyone for the tips!
I'll start from VAGcomming it. And the next step fro me would be the HID bulbs replacement. The existing onces are 7 years old and will have to be replaced any time soon anyway.

Swapping ignitors and bulbs - not my the good idea to me at this moment.

Also, I noticed the HID (xenon) passanger light will not ignite after the short trip. So, somehow I'm blaming the bulb.

Will try to find the assemble \ disassemble instructions and will try to post the results and instructions with pictures here as well.

Mr. Belly - yes I agree with your statement in general.
And yes, I normally do the same.

Victor.