A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon(mono) to Bi-Xenon retrofit

Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon(mono) to Bi-Xenon retrofit

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me with this ?!

I have Xenon
originally equipped with this

Резултатът на Google за http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/MtIAAOxySFJSGiA3/%24(KGrHqR,!nYFIKMdJ-b%2BBSGi!3gWbw~~60_35.JPG
And I want to upgrade to this :
https://www.google.bg/search?q=xenon...55%3B800%3B533

What will I need ??

Thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2015, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The only difference in your pictures is that one headlight has static cornering light (the bulb pointing outwards between the headlights). Both should be Bi-xenon as far as i know. Only Bi-xenon available for A8 (and very rare low-spec V6 gasoline may have halogen).

Bi-Xenon without cornering lights (V6 and V8 models), can be distinguished from the halogen DRL:s (Daytime Running Lights), AND Bi-Xenon with cornering lights (S8 V10 and W12), these can be distinguished from the LED DRL:s.

And from the spare part catalogue i found "twin halogen headlights", tough I have never seen or heard of a A8 D3 with these, suspect they are some low-spec V6 gasoline model.

But anyway, there are 4 models of headlights:
1.Pre-facelift halogen
2.Pre-facelift Bi-xenon without cornering lights
3.Facelift Bi-xenon without cornering lights (V6 gasoline)
4.Facelift Bi-xenon with STATIC cornering lights (V6 TDI/V8)
5.Facelift Bi-xenon with ACTIVE cornering lights (= V10/W12)

And of course all of these have also LHT and RHT (left hand and right hand trafic) models.

I'm not 100% sure if the cornering lights have been available to other than high spec V10 and W12 models. IF, then there might be some rare pre-facelift headlights with cornering lights

This is a W12 model:
http://www.imcdb.org/i369830.jpg

But anyway, if you want to upgrade your headlights, you are up for modifying the electrical connectors. If you just want bi-xenon, i suspect the work isn't that big. But if you want the W12/V10 headlights, you are up for much more.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, thanks for your post.

In my case :
I have the headlights from the first picture. They are with factory Xenon on the low-beem and when I swich to high-beem it starts the H7 bulb in the internal part of the headlight (for DLR the car uses the xenon low-beem)
I have the headlights from the second picture (i will transfer the balasts and the igniters from my headlights from pic 1 to the headlights from pic 2) what else will I need to make the project work ?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

forgot to clarify:
- car came factory with headlights from pic 1 (currently on the car)
Headlighst from pic 2 are in the basment
Old 03-06-2015, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default here's what you need to know about your project...

Originally Posted by ivanvag

In my case :
I have the headlights from the first picture. They are with factory Xenon on the low-beem and when I swich to high-beem it starts the H7 bulb in the internal part of the headlight (for DLR the car uses the xenon low-beem)
I have the headlights from the second picture (i will transfer the balasts and the igniters from my headlights from pic 1 to the headlights from pic 2) what else will I need to make the project work ?
The list from the other post is incomplete, there was a pre-face lift Bi-Xenon version with static cornering lights. I know because I obtained a set off German eBay because I wanted the cornering lights and they were not offered in the US until the face-lift A8s. The set I got used from eBay did not come with the control boxes that bolt to the housing, so I thought I could transfer the boxes from my 2004 Bi-Xenon US spec lights.

The Xenon beams, turn signals, and city lights worked but not the cornering lights; which were the reason I bought the eBay set. I dont know if you have pre-face lift or face-lift lights in your car, but I should think that the differences between the lights with and without cornering lights will be the same as my experience.

So, to make the cornering lights function I had to have a circuit board made for each headlight. The cars that came equipped with cornering lights have a wiring harness that feeds info from the steering angle sensor into the control brain for the lights that tells them to come on when you turn the wheel if the headlights are on.

There is no way to retro fit that factory functionality, but I made the lights work in a practical way as cornering lights. My electronics guy made a circuit board that is powered by a switched wire in the headlight housing, so the cornering lights only work when the headlights are turned on. Then he used the turn signal wire as a trigger for a chip that triggers a relay to feed 12V to the cornering bulb.

When the turn signal turns off the chip keeps the cornering light on for another three seconds (just like factory) and then it shuts off the cornering bulb. However, my cornering light does not attenuate like a factory one when it goes off. The added electronics to make the light attenuate were going to make a complicated project more complicated than I wanted to deal with or pay for.

But I really appreciate those cornering lights in dark drive way situations particularly...well worth the effort for me. And its been two years now and the system has had no glitches.

Last edited by awdinut; 03-07-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I knew you had the cornering lights, but not the length you had to goto make them work! Wow! (jealous).

Old 03-07-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanvag

In my case :
That's normal behavior for the bi-xenon lights when coded "ROW" (rest of world). The bi xenon lights go to high beam and the H7's come on too. You completely sure your xenon's don't flick into high beam? All that happens for bi-xenon is a little light mask inside the lamp unit moves to make the beam pattern go high. It's not immediately obvious without looking carefully at the beam patterns against a wall.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What coding do I have to store in order to be absolutely sure that I have/don't have Bi-Xenon ?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

How is is currently coded in VCDS? That will tell you what type of lamps you have.