A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'12 A8L, making 'whoop' noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Yes. My 2011 A8L does it too. Like everyone says is only in the morning when is cool then when things warm up it goes away. I took it to the dealer for other service and mentioned it. They always come back that they can duplicate the noise. They even had it overnight last week and drove it when it was cold and said they did not hear anything. If anyone finds a fix let me know.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by egarriga
Yes. My 2011 A8L does it too. Like everyone says is only in the morning when is cool then when things warm up it goes away. I took it to the dealer for other service and mentioned it. They always come back that they can duplicate the noise. They even had it overnight last week and drove it when it was cold and said they did not hear anything. If anyone finds a fix let me know. Thanks.
It may be useful to tell the service guy that it is definitely NOT a groaning, grinding, hissing, or knocking sound. Other than describing it as a SHORT and CLEAN "whoop" or "twip" sound, it resembles a noise made by a pneumatic actuator.

Eric, have you taken yours in yet?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had always thought mine to be a re-compressioning (sp?)of the trunk lid latching system or a re-charging of a pneumatic something in the suspension. As to having it Service'd away, no biggie...
Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by doctorharrison
I had always thought mine to be a re-compressioning (sp?)of the trunk lid latching system or a re-charging of a pneumatic something in the suspension. As to having it Service'd away, no biggie...
Thanks. This sounds reasonable and is good to hear. The mentioning by some of control rod and suspension bushing related problems got me worried. It would still be good to get some comments or confirmation from dealers.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have not had this matter resolved yet. Asked the service advisor to ask Audi, nothing much from them. Does not impact drivability, just an annoyance.

The damn car is awesome except for crap like this.

Our '06 A8L has a thunk in the shift from 2nd to 3rd or 1st to 2nd, ended up being a mechatronic unit on the tranny (see posts elsewhere on this). Replaced it via Audi after 2 years of pestering the AudiUSA folks as they were denying anything wrong.

But this whooping noise is known, it's consistent, happens just about every day, and they have zero answers other than it may be suspension related (nothing broken), just how it works.

Hard to believe there are not other reports of it.

For those of you who had control arm bushings replaced, or other parts changed out - a) did it make any difference and b) what else was done to the vehicle?

May be our last Audi. Hard to imagine as well as these cars are engineered they can't get the annoyances out.

Bummed.

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 06-20-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Whatever it is, I had it in my 2005 and 2008 D3's and now it's in my 2012 D4. Same sound. Dealer says it's "somewhere in the suspension". Usually when cold/first mile or two but not always. No consistency and mildly annoying. You'd think by now this would have been addressed by Audi.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine does it almost every morning - once and only once.
If this is the biggest thing we have to complain about, then I don't consider it a problem.

Last edited by jakematic; 06-22-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2005 D3 does this and I've asked them to fix it and they don't know what it is. I always figured it was something in the front suspension.

It is surprising that the D4 still does the same thing. jeez, it's a different car, isn't it?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had it on my 09 and it didn't bother me they told me that is the air suspension and I have it on my 13 much less but is there, it does it once when cold and that's about it. it is what it is.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2013 A8 3.0T Glacier White/Blk CPO car with 8.5k miles with EVERY option available.

Previous cars Infiniti M35X, Lexus LS430, Acura Legend. As you can see I have been partial to premium Japanese brands. This is my first German automobile.

Initial bitches:

Small trunk
Small cup holders
No extension on sun visors coupled with bushed aluminum on dash makes for some really annoying driving at certain times in bright sunlight.
MMI / NAV controls WAY to complicated
No tire pressure read out

Big Problem

One trip to dealer to correct door closer problem and slow speed “whoop” on turns when car is cold. The whoop solution / problem is what has me REALLY annoyed at Audi. They tell me this is normal and will get better over time? The car has 9K miles on it how long do I have to wait? The dealer gave me a technical bulletin #2023187/2 that states, “folds of outer rubber boots for front axle shafts rub or make contact when turning” this is normal! ! If this is German engineering I have had my fill already.

How would you react in this situation? You are picking up a customer C-Level Executive for golf, dinner or trip to the airport and when pulling out of the parking lot the car goes “whoop” on a slow speed turn. Customer says, “Bob what’s that noise”? Bob says, “Oh Audi tells me that’s normal for a $100k car - isn’t that a bunch of BS, I love the performance of the A8 but if this is normal for the flagship I will NEVER buy another Audi product.”

Any advice from the Audi community on this would be greatly appreciated.

Unhappy Bob ☹

Quick Reply: '12 A8L, making 'whoop' noise