A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'12 A8L, making 'whoop' noise

Old 07-11-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

geez, jmo but what an example of making a mountain out of a molehill... one whoop, not persistent, no effect on driveability. Until someone proves to me that it's diminishing value or is a safety concern, I couldn't be bothered. If anything, it's kind of endearing and makes the car "special".

People willing to bail from a marque because of a "whoop"? Gimme a break... my wife has blemishes and occasionally f@rts, I love her nonetheless.

Not for me to say as I do not walk in your shoes, but if this is the way people react to the trivial and insignificant, I just dunno... There's a lot more significant problems in life.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorharrison
geez, jmo but what an example of making a mountain out of a molehill... one whoop, not persistent, no effect on driveability. Until someone proves to me that it's diminishing value or is a safety concern, I couldn't be bothered. If anything, it's kind of endearing and makes the car "special".

People willing to bail from a marque because of a "whoop"? Gimme a break... my wife has blemishes and occasionally f@rts, I love her nonetheless.

Not for me to say as I do not walk in your shoes, but if this is the way people react to the trivial and insignificant, I just dunno... There's a lot more significant problems in life.
Having driven different luxury & premium brands over the last 10 years including Mercedes, Bmw & Acura I disagree with you, I recently purchased a new Audi A8L and I find that it is lacking in various areas of reliability and driving experiance quite a bit more so then the other brands I have enjoyed owning. I think Audi's look great and have offer good engines and features but the overall quality and perfection of important details is just not as good.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Angry

Originally Posted by doctorharrison

Doc with all due respect, the analogy to your wife does not cut it. She is a living human being; unique in everyway I would have been horrified if you did not love all of her imperfections.

We are talking about Audi’s signature product, top of the line, big $$, a testimony to Audi’s engineering and manufacturing. I have the expectation of perfection per the marketing of the car and company to me from the dealer and Audi! My standards are very high for this kind of car. I don’t consider this trivial at all and it tells me Audi is looking at the cost of fixing this compared to their reputation and your attitude does not hold them to the standards they purport to have for their cars.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just heard this for the first time this morning. Heard it 3 or 4 times going over dips in the road. 2011 A8L with 17500 miles on the odometer. When I heard it, I knew exactly what it was thanks to this board. As to the significance of the sound, I'm not so sure. I didn't hear it this afternoon, going over the same road.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

GOOD NEWS (I hope):

Dropped of the 2012 A8L for new rubber yesterday (20's were on nationwide backorder, but thank you Tire Rack!), and a 4-wheel alignment (holy cow that's expensive).

Asked the service advisor to please check with Audi again on this whooping noise. Got the call this morning that there IS a reported fix in the Audi Tech info now. Replacing the 'propeller shaft' as of today/Monday so I will report back if this resolves when I get the car next week.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to hear. Hope that fixes your problem.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, great to hear! I have been waiting for a fix for almost three years! Let us know if it works.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
GOOD NEWS (I hope):

Dropped of the 2012 A8L for new rubber yesterday (20's were on nationwide backorder, but thank you Tire Rack!), and a 4-wheel alignment (holy cow that's expensive).
What rubber did you go with?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dbbogey
What rubber did you go with?
The only thing available was the OE Goodyears. Decided to do this as the car was sitting over a week with one bald, one near bald, and one with nail. Really did not love the Goodyears, but did not hate them as much as Pirellis years ago, so I went with that - and they are made in Germany. Go figure.

Michelin, where are you?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
GOOD NEWS (I hope):

Asked the service advisor to please check with Audi again on this whooping noise. Got the call this morning that there IS a reported fix in the Audi Tech info now. Replacing the 'propeller shaft' as of today/Monday so I will report back if this resolves when I get the car next week.
Eager to hear the outcome. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '12 A8L, making 'whoop' noise