A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 A8L front arm bushing noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2011 A8L front arm bushing noise

HI to all, need some info please
have a very nice 2011 A8 L with only 42k on it. still on CPO warranty till mid April. i notice when driving in very cold weather like 10-20 f (-10-20 c), when i go over a speed pump i notice there is a squeaking noise from the front . my mechanic friend thinks its the front arm bushing. since its under warranty i can go to dealer.
but before i go, did any one had a similar noise? or its just the cold weather?
and the squeaking noise is normal.
thanks for info

Last edited by yuvalw123; 02-12-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Almost certainly going to be the sway bar links. Very common at that mileage, since you are under 50k miles, it should be covered by CPO, but I'd ask to be sure. If it's not covered, they are $60 each from Audi's parts site, and take 15 minutes to swap out, very very easy.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

There are two of them, made the noise you describe at a similar mileage on mine. It started just in the cold, but eventually it will do it over lesser bumps at any temperature.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
There are two of them, made the noise you describe at a similar mileage on mine. It started just in the cold, but eventually it will do it over lesser bumps at any temperature.
thanks for your info, now i know what to do.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by yuvalw123
... still on CPO warranty till mid April.

FWIW, backing out to bigger picture: If your CPO is almost expired, it is well worth your time and money to go over the entire car with a fine tooth comb. Check every switch, every function, every handle, every everything. Absolutely get under it (or have a mechanic do it) and remove all belly pan and other covers, looking for any leaks of any type of fluid, any issue with suspension (like here), drivetrain, motor, tranny and diff mounts, etc. Run full scan with VCDS to find any codes in any module and assess.

I did that with each of my prior Audis, including D3 at both the 4/50 "new car warranty" and then the extended CPO warranty. My punch list has been something 6-10 items long typically. I think the bill at Audi dealer rates on the D3 was high four figures (in U.S. $) including a pricy parts assembly or two--for which I paid my then $65 for a CPO visit. Shop foreman told me they were more than 20 hours into it before they were even done.

By inspecting very carefully, you can sometimes find things that otherwise only become obvious a year or two later and then come out of your pocket and car down time.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-12-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
FWIW, backing out to bigger picture: If your CPO is almost expired, it is well worth your time and money to go over the entire car with a fine tooth comb. Check every switch, every function, every handle, every everything. Absolutely get under it (or have a mechanic do it) and remove all belly pan and other covers, looking for any leaks of any type of fluid, any issue with suspension (like here), drivetrain, motor, tranny and diff mounts, etc. Run full scan with VCDS to find any codes in any module and assess.

I did that with each of my prior Audis, including D3 at both the 4/50 "new car warranty" and then the extended CPO warranty. My punch list has been something 6-10 items long typically. I think the bill at Audi dealer rates on the D3 was high four figures (in U.S. $) including a pricy parts assembly or two--for which I paid my then $65 for a CPO visit. Shop foreman told me they were more than 20 hours into it before they were even done.

By inspecting very carefully, you can sometimes find things that otherwise only become obvious a year or two later and then come out of your pocket and car down time.
hi
sure i want to do this, but was wondering if the Audi dealer is a good place to go for that inspection. not sure they will tell me if there is a future problem coming. my car drives like new and very low miles (42k)
will ask them any way
thanks for info
( before this D4 i had a D3 (2004) for 9 years. that D3 was in the garage every 3 months . the D4 is a much more reliable car then the D3)
Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by yuvalw123
hi
sure i want to do this, but was wondering if the Audi dealer is a good place to go for that inspection. not sure they will tell me if there is a future problem coming. my car drives like new and very low miles (42k)
will ask them any way
thanks for info
( before this D4 i had a D3 (2004) for 9 years. that D3 was in the garage every 3 months . the D4 is a much more reliable car then the D3)
Not sure the incentives are right for a dealer, plus labor rates are usually higher. Honestly, I have caught more than a few times where they are supposed to do something inspection wise on the 10K steps on other Audis where they just plain don't from things I can observe visually. I think an indy mechanic who has VCDS is a better bet. Basically you want the same as a "pre-purchase inspection" like if you were considering a used car and wanted it checked out, aka PPI.

And, I would still test all the buttons, handles, controls and other touchpoint stuff yourself. Even the well duh, like signals, bulbs, horn, wiper spray, etc. Found a headlight spray issue that way on my D3 that was hundreds of dollars to fix. Kicking myself that I have to go in an extra time when the one thing I forgot to check on the 2015 S8 was the horn, and sure enough half not working on a 3200 mile then year old car.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have 4,000 miles left on my 2014 A8 factory warranty, and so far the dealer has replaced control arm bushings and exhaust down pipes. Do you a list of suspect items that need looking at at about 50K miles. I personally will not know where to look, and do not know a mechanic who can either.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Cirrusaudi
I only have 4,000 miles left on my 2014 A8 factory warranty, and so far the dealer has replaced control arm bushings and exhaust down pipes. Do you a list of suspect items that need looking at at about 50K miles. I personally will not know where to look, and do not know a mechanic who can either.
Specific to D4 no, beyond those you mention that is, plus the sway bar links. Then from my own experience so far, the half working horn and the noisy clock spring behind the steering wheel. In general to Audi's and the usual litany of common sense things: already in my earlier post. The VCDS cable has also repeatedly paid for itself, often on a single scale like this if it finds anything covered under warranty that sometimes won't be easily figured out otherwise.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Specific to D4 no, beyond those you mention that is, plus the sway bar links. Then from my own experience so far, the half working horn and the noisy clock spring behind the steering wheel. In general to Audi's and the usual litany of common sense things: already in my earlier post. The VCDS cable has also repeatedly paid for itself, often on a single scale like this if it finds anything covered under warranty that sometimes won't be easily figured out otherwise.

made an appointment with dealer for next month. they offer for 150$, 300 point inspection for the car (end of warranty inspection) , and they promise if they find some thing wrong, they will fix. at the same time will do the sway bar links. i just did the rear and front brake pads last week ( the brake pad light was on). did not go to dealer , my total cost for pads and work was 570$
and the pads where original AUDI.

Quick Reply: 2011 A8L front arm bushing noise