A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Audi A8L Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Audi A8L Oil Change

My buddy purchased a 2011 Audi A8L , when it got delivered the service due light was on, and the oil was at a minimum. Car has around 72,000 miles

He needs a step by step on how to change the oil, and what oil would be best to use?

I told him to go to the Audi dealership but the dealership is a little pricy here I'm guessing, I have not done an oil change on my Audi yet so I'm really no use to him, I was wondering if you guys could help out???
Old 05-24-2016, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

First off, he will need a vacuum pump. There is no drainplug, here. Second, is it at it's minimum, or at the line marking exactly where it's supposed to be? As far as oil type, pick it up from the dealer or order it online from the dealer site. Lastly, is your buddy in Maryland? I just sold my 2011 A8L with 72,000 on it, but it was up to date on everything and certainly not losing anything...
Old 05-24-2016, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

No drain plug?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:50 PM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a drain plug option as well but using a vacuum pump is much quicker and as far as I could tell you still got enough oil out.
I posted a basic procedure for the 4.2 FSI a while back, its here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...80100-2878331/
Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Pay (work) now, or work and pay more later...

Yep, I figured there was/is, and saw one on my 2015 S8 when I checked it out post purchase closer up.

FWIW, I really am not a fan of the suction pump stuff. I realize in some limited or no garage situations in winter it may be the only short term practical alternative. I also get that it more or less works for the narrow job, BUT only if filter comes out from above. On my 2015 S8 and my preceding D3 2006 W12, they are directly underneath and simple to get to with belly pan off. I'll also put aside the post or two where someone snapped something off with the pump tube and got to enjoy a pan pull. The real trouble is in the name of labor savings--when the filter is accessible above, like my Q5 for example--it gives up probably the single biggest diagnostic benefit I can think of on most any car on the mechanical side. That is, actually getting under there and looking physically once a year/every 10K miles. Only other arguable equal is a VCDS scan on the electronic side.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I have found some evidence of a leak or issue on various Audi's, including lots of ones under warranty. Thus, a slight drip or leak in a hose. Or, on my 2006 A8 W12, a slight weep at the radiator at about year 3 that the dealer then replaced under 4/50 with a brand new one. They never spotted it, and coolant loss was insignificant as another alternate diagnostic. Or, various simple hose o rings later on. Maybe a water pump starting to weeps past seal at higher miles. Or, blown CV boots that if caught early are just a boot replace, but if caught late when they start making noise are a joint/axle replace. Just found that on 2006 W12 last winter--when I put snow tires on and caught the first signs of grease oozing through deteriorated rubber. Or, some minor pan leak. Or, a little oil coming down off the valve covers. A little wetness going on below headlight squirter area or its hose plumbing. Or...and so on... All real been-there-seen-that scenarios BTW. And yes, while its a pain on Audis to deal with the belly pan, that pan also does a really good (bad) job of concealing lots of drips and other give aways of beginnings of issues. But if you pull it, it actually tells a great and easy diagnostic story--little oil stains, little pinkish white dry coolant residue or marks, grease splatter, maybe hydraulic fluid out of a blown/cracked motor mount, etc.

Some of these heads' ups avoid bigger repair costs later. Some can avoid on road breakdowns, without the luxury of seeing beginnings of issue and then getting it in if warranted (or to an indy shop if too hard for DIY post warranty), or getting part ordered with time to spare and at less cost. By doing close under car inspections I have literally saved thousands on various pre warranty expiration items over the years--not just Audis but both Japanese and domestic. With a DIY oil change it is of course simple once under there anyway, especially if you use ramps. Or, pump away but then be visually ignorant of whatever lurks beneath. I have AudiCare for the early years, but still may squeeze in an "in between" change here and there. Plus I will definitely pull belly pan (and pans farther back below tranny) a time or two pre 4/50 and then eventual CPO warranty expirations.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-25-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A 8
There is a drain plug option as well but using a vacuum pump is much quicker and as far as I could tell you still got enough oil out.
Dang it, lied to again. There is a drain plug... Sorry for passing bad info.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Dang it, lied to again. There is a drain plug... Sorry for passing bad info.
Thanks for all the help guys honestly, sorry for getting back to you guys so late...but what oil would you recommend to buy from Audi with 72,000 miles on the car....and by any chance how much would it be at Audi for the oil change? A few hundred I'm guessing?
Old 05-27-2016, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

First off, he will need a vacuum pump. There is no drainplug, here. Second, is it at it's minimum, or at the line marking exactly where it's supposed to be? As far as oil type, pick it up from the dealer or order it online from the dealer site. Lastly, is your buddy in Maryland? I just sold my 2011 A8L with 72,000 on it, but it was up to date on everything and certainly not losing anything...

Sorry to hear that you sold the A8, but there will be another one in the future I'm guessing? But no the car came from California-Auction I'm not sure where it was before that.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Detroit313
Sorry to hear that you sold the A8, but there will be another one in the future I'm guessing? But no the car came from California-Auction I'm not sure where it was before that.
Just curious. I'm borrowing my brother's A8 at the moment, but my replacement should be here soon, assuming there aren't any more delays. I'd love an S8, but that's on hold. In the meantime, I'll get by with the Mercedes coupe.

The dealership is a pricey way to get an oil change, but if you're not doing it yourself, that's the way I'd go. I don't trust those quick change places with a car like that. Feel free to browse the forum for the applicable horror stories.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just curious. I'm borrowing my brother's A8 at the moment, but my replacement should be here soon, assuming there aren't any more delays. I'd love an S8, but that's on hold. In the meantime, I'll get by with the Mercedes coupe.

The dealership is a pricey way to get an oil change, but if you're not doing it yourself, that's the way I'd go. I don't trust those quick change places with a car like that. Feel free to browse the forum for the applicable horror stories.
I'm driving my fiancés ml320 today 😭 diesel and boring lol

Quick Reply: 2011 Audi A8L Oil Change