A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 S8 Delivered

Old 08-13-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 S8 Delivered

My brother recently took delivery of a 2015 S8. Glacier White / Black leather interior. Car is obviously super nice. Few quick questions, wondering if there is a most active forum discussing these cars?

Audi GMBH was out touting heavily the new Matrix lights for 2015. Sadly, it doesn't look like these were delivered as functional in the USA. Trying to figure out if that is something that can be enabled by VAG-COM or if there is a separate module / assembly all together. The lights look the same but they don't appear to function the same. Gives me hope that this could be a simple vag-com tweak but don't see too much discussion on the forums regarding the A8/S8 series.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Drew

Last edited by drew138; 08-13-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drew138
My brother recently took delivery of a 2015 S8. Ibis White / Black leather interior. Car is obviously super nice. Few quick questions, wondering if there is a most active forum discussing these cars?

Audi GMBH was out touting heavily the new Matrix lights for 2015. Sadly, it doesn't look like these were delivered as functional in the USA. Trying to figure out if that is something that can be enabled by VAG-COM or if there is a separate module / assembly all together. The lights look the same but they don't appear to function the same. Gives me hope that this could be a simple vag-com tweak but don't see too much discussion on the forums regarding the A8/S8 series.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Drew
The Matrix lights are illegal in the US. Audi and other car manufactures are lobbying NHTSA to change their outdated laws, but so far, no luck.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jatp
The Matrix lights are illegal in the US. Audi and other car manufactures are lobbying NHTSA to change their outdated laws, but so far, no luck.
Yup. Aware of their status in the USA. I'm curious if they can be enabled via vag-com for use on private roads and tracks, of course. I know others have change the behavior of the led signal blinker to work in tandem with the turn signal on other Audi models; wondering if the same can be done on these Matrix setup lights or if there is some more complicated hardware enabling the Matrix function.

here is a pic of the car: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9c...it?usp=sharing
Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Would be great if they could be retroactively enabled if/when the DOT gave Audi the green light, but I doubt that's the case. We also don't get the sequential front/rear turn signals; but that might be an easier fix to achieve---just guessing on that though.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Few quick questions, wondering if there is a most active forum discussing these cars?
You found it - this is the most active D4 forum I've found anywhere.

I'm curious if they can be enabled via vag-com for use on private roads and tracks, of course.
In general if a vehicle is FMVSS certified with certain equipment and operational methods, the Ross-Tech team will not discuss how to achieve such changes with VCDS.
That doesn't mean it can't be done, but there are liability reasons and you'd be specifically 'changing' the functionality.

I have yet to look through erWin or PL24, but I suspect there are different part numbers for the non-matrix versions.
If that is the case it would be a moot point...
Old 08-14-2014, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm thinking a few more 2015s will need to be delivered in the USA before there is any real investigation. My understanding was that Audi is looking to get these Matrix lights approved in USA and the hope was that it could be enabled retroactively.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I'm thinking a few more 2015s will need to be delivered in the USA before there is any real investigation. My understanding was that Audi is looking to get these Matrix lights approved in USA and the hope was that it could be enabled retroactively.
Having a 2015 on order, I really hope your "understanding" is correct. However, I doubt that's the case. The matrix units are available in Europe as an option over the standard LEDs---they cost out at approximately $1400 (US currency equivalent). Can't really believe the way the option is priced that it's merely a software coding issue with no associated hardware/parts: different headlamp units with individual controllers for each LED; different sensors maybe; matrix units do not have a manual hi-beam control, which probably means those cars use a different turn signal stalk; perhaps also different wiring harnesses. If my speculation is correct, then it makes retrofitting an expensive proposition, if it were possible to do it at all. Perhaps that's just me being skeptical, but I'm not confident that it's as easy as you hope it is---but really hope that I'm wrong :-)

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-14-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Having a 2015 on order, I really hope your "understanding" is correct. However, I doubt that's the case. The matrix units are available in Europe as an option over the standard LEDs---they cost out at approximately $1400 (US currency equivalent). Can't really believe the way the option is priced that it's merely a software coding issue with no associated hardware/parts: different headlamp units with individual controllers for each LED; different sensors maybe; matrix units do not have a manual hi-beam control, which probably means those cars use a different turn signal stalk; perhaps also different wiring harnesses. If my speculation is correct, then it makes retrofitting an expensive proposition, if it were possible to do it at all. Perhaps that's just me being skeptical, but I'm not confident that it's as easy as you hope it is---but really hope that I'm wrong :-)

Have to think you're probably right. Didn't realize it was an increased option in EU. I didn't see it on the UK configurator. Wishful thinking. Still holding out hopes. Are you specing an A8 or S8?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Perhaps that's just me being skeptical, but I'm not confident that it's as easy as you hope it is---but really hope that I'm wrong :-)
I agree with this and the rest of your post.
Unfortunately I don't have access to the 2015 parts info... yet...

VAG historically never spends one thin dime extra putting hardware in a vehicle that's disabled in SW.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
I agree with this and the rest of your post.
Unfortunately I don't have access to the 2015 parts info... yet...

VAG historically never spends one thin dime extra putting hardware in a vehicle that's disabled in SW.

Would love a parts list / price breakdown when you get it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 S8 Delivered