A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 or wait for D5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derfA8L
The Pan 4S V6 twin-turbo is rated at 440-hp. Probably will see a Pan GTS at some point, but not sure about it having a V8.
Right you are--I didn't search well enough on the Porsche website to see the 4S. Still, there's no substitute for the torque of a V8 (405 for 4S vs. 567 for the Turbo) so I hope the GTS will have one.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

The Pan 4S V6 twin-turbo is rated at 440-hp. Probably will see a Pan GTS at some point, but not sure about it having a V8.

We were given one a few years ago to use as a pace car at VIR.

It was a very nice car. If the visibility out of the car was better, I might have not given it back :-)
Old 12-08-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexAudi
Right you are--I didn't search well enough on the Porsche website to see the 4S. Still, there's no substitute for the torque of a V8 (405 for 4S vs. 567 for the Turbo) so I hope the GTS will have one.
Yeah, having the extra torque is nice, but the interesting thing about the Panny is that (at least on the original generation cars) all the test reviews of the previous 3.6L V6 said it handled better than the V8 models due to the reduced front end weight. So I'd think the smaller 2.9L block in the 4S (Porsche calls it 3.OL) balances the car better, but yes, not as torquey as the prior V8 version.

The D5 A8 is supposed to still have the 4.0L V8, but with it being delayed who knows what engine line up we'll see. BTW, Porsche is certainly not ashamed to price up the new Panny...It's hard to spec a 4S with the same option list available on a 2017 A8L and stay anywhere near the Audi MSRP---and that also goes for the Pan 4 in Executive trim (LWB).

Last edited by derfA8L; 12-08-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, Porsche is certainly not ashamed to price up the new Panny...It's hard to spec a 4S with the same option list available on a 2017 A8L and stay anywhere near the Audi MSRP---and that also goes for the Pan 4 in Executive trim (LWB).
I know that Porsche's sales are off now and they are offering some pretty big discounts off MSRP but who knows what the demand vs. actual pricing will be on the new Panamera's. Hopefully by July when I'll be considering one the newness will have worn off and those that have to be the first to get one and willing to pay MSRP will already have theirs. I sure like them but I will reserve my opinion until a test ride.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HouTexAudi
I know that Porsche's sales are off now and they are offering some pretty big discounts off MSRP but who knows what the demand vs. actual pricing will be on the new Panamera's. Hopefully by July when I'll be considering one the newness will have worn off and those that have to be the first to get one and willing to pay MSRP will already have theirs. I sure like them but I will reserve my opinion until a test ride.
Yes, I have the same timeframe and plan. Will certainly do several test drives when they arrive next month. My salesman is currently in Los Angeles at the new Porsche Driving Experience Center for training on the new Pan. I'm checking in with him on Saturday when he returns. Really need to see the unveiling of the D5 before getting too committed. :-)
Old 12-08-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, I have the same timeframe and plan. Will certainly do several test drives when they arrive next month. My salesman is currently in Los Angeles at the new Porsche Driving Experience Center for training on the new Pan. I'm checking in with him on Saturday when he returns. Really need to see the unveiling of the D5 before getting too committed. :-)
Derf, when do you expect the unveilling to take place?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Puzz1
Derf, when do you expect the unveilling to take place?
Haven't heard anything on that recently, but it had been expected sometime this Winter...perhaps this Spring. European launch will be first, with North America in Spring '18.