A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 A8 To Be Unveiled in July

Old 03-21-2017, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 A8 To Be Unveiled in July

I guess this new model will be designated D5, but since there isn't a D5 platform forum, I thought I would post it here.

Some notable highlights/speculation include the new shared, universal platform (as found on the Q7 et al.), more powerful 4.0 V8tt engine at 460 HP, lots of autonomous driving features, virtual dashboard and possibly the 354 HP V6t found in the S4 for the 3.0t.

The body shape doesn't look drastically different. I assumed we would see more of the prologue concept, but it's not apparent with the camouflage.

No idea about the wicked S8, but kind of hard to top the HP numbers now found on that beast, but who knows.

Videos can be seen in the linked article.

All-New 2018 Audi A8 Will Be Unveiled in July - The Drive

All-New 2018 Audi A8 Will Be Unveiled in July
Expect more tech, new engines, and less weight from Audi's flagship sedan.

BY AARON BROWNMARCH 20, 2017
NEW CARSA8AUDISEDANS
PURE VENENO/YOUTUBE
AARON BROWNView Aaron Brown's Articles
twitter.com/aaronmaxbinstagram.com/aaronmaxb

A new generation of Audi A8 will debut in July in front of journalists at the Audi Summit in Barcelona, Carscoops reports.

The new car will be the fourth generation of the A8. The executive sedan will be built on the MLBevo platform, which is also used for the current-generation Q7, Bentley Bentayga, Volkswagen Phideon, and a few other Volkswagen Group vehicles, the report said.

The new A8 is expected to be lighter, more powerful, and have more tech than the current generation car—which is generally how it goes when a new generation of a model is unveiled. Specifically, the new car will have new semi-autonomous driver assistance tech, a new 460-horsepower V-8 engine, a new 565-HP W-12, and a handful of diesel powertrain options that probably won't make it to America. (Thanks, Dieselgate.)

Don't expect any massive departures from Audi's general look, however. The new car will be just as Audi as the previous A8, which means angular and clean corners, but tweaked to go along with the looks of recently-updated Audis—the Q7, A4, and A5 to name a few.

Check out video of the not-yet-released car below.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking forward to it! IT will be evolutionary but more chiseled with awesome tech in it!I prefer the sharper and less bloated look of the D3 A8 vs my current D4 A8 and so i expect the new D5 to be like that. Cant wait.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Looking forward to it! IT will be evolutionary but more chiseled with awesome tech in it!I prefer the sharper and less bloated look of the D3 A8 vs my current D4 A8 and so i expect the new D5 to be like that. Cant wait.
while i do think the a8 d3 looks good i disagree that it looks sharper and less bloated than d4...the d4 has sharper lines and corners making it look less bloated...the d3 looks a little rounded to me and makes it look more bloated.

either way looking at the way the new a5s look the face looks too small to me...so im guessing d5 will look semi similar which its going to be a coin flip for me...but im just hoping they dont make the d5 look too good and sharp so i wont have the urge to trade my just bought s8 plus for a new one lol.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
while i do think the a8 d3 looks good i disagree that it looks sharper and less bloated than d4...the d4 has sharper lines and corners making it look less bloated...the d3 looks a little rounded to me and makes it look more bloated.

either way looking at the way the new a5s look the face looks too small to me...so im guessing d5 will look semi similar which its going to be a coin flip for me...but im just hoping they dont make the d5 look too good and sharp so i wont have the urge to trade my just bought s8 plus for a new one lol.
Interesting observation but again the Audi A8L is a timeless machine and a handsome design. I know Audi will make it even more sexier and sharper. There is your issue now lol.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting. I have been wondering when I would get a sneak peak. I'm relieved to see it is not a radical redesign. Thank you for posting.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
In looking at what Merc has, AUDI needs a major exterior change to make it as nice or nicer than the Mercs (The AMG's especially). The mercs are coming up with some beautiful color combo interiors. The Designo white and the creme color interior of the mercs, coupled with their cherry wood steering wheels creates unparalled elegance imo

The A8 console and interior design gives it more potential than what we see in the mercs but if AUDI isnt carefill it will fall behind. Merc is producing some beautifull stuff. Their upgraded 3d Burmister audo isnt bad either, perhaps rivaling the stellar B&O in the A8, although the BUrmister has had some early issues

Anyway, the next A8 gen has to make owners want to buy it. Right now the new front headlights of the A8 (compared to my 2013) does nothing for me. The new gen car has to be a major face lift for me to move on it. I dont need technology as MUCH as I need beauty and elegance on the inside and a more streamlined and elegant look on the outside.

Personally I dont see the next gen A8 with a big enough change to move me to another A8 but one never knows
Old 03-27-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mercedes reliability is pretty bad. I guess many don't care as they do sell a lot of cars.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Lots of autonomous..." has me squarely in the not interested category. Frankly the '17 I just bought I may trade on a new Panamera Turbo in large part because of the driver assistance package I wish I would have researched. Any care with more intrusion into MY abilities to drive the car disinterests me. If Audi starts including wood steering wheels in their car, I'll take that as a direct hit to leave for more sporting grounds after this driver's assistance shot over the bow.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerli
"Lots of autonomous..." has me squarely in the not interested category. Frankly the '17 I just bought I may trade on a new Panamera Turbo in large part because of the driver assistance package I wish I would have researched. Any care with more intrusion into MY abilities to drive the car disinterests me. If Audi starts including wood steering wheels in their car, I'll take that as a direct hit to leave for more sporting grounds after this driver's assistance shot over the bow.
Guess you don't drive much then because I also love driving my cars. However I drive a lot of highway also and the lane keep assist and active cruise control helps a ton. I know I should always be very attentive while driving but its hard when you've been driving for 5 hours already.

It's not like you can't turn the system off when you don't want to use it. When I had the genesis i had the lane keep assist on 100% of the time as I never felt the need to drive that car...however with this s8 plus I love driving the car without any of the nannies so i keep them off unless I'm on a long trip.

The new panamera turbo will also have this feature as an option so i dont get what the difference will be except that the passengers will most definitely drive better lol...but if it's only because of the drivers assistant package then i dont get it.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerli
The Panamera is a truly beautiful car but quite different is it not? A lot more flash and a lot less interior space. I've never driven one so really just curious.

Regarding the Mercedes comparo: Agreed: No thanks to the white interior and a wooden steering wheel. The D4's steering wheel shape and hand feel is one of my favorite changes from my D3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 A8 To Be Unveiled in July