A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

22" Upfront Rub on Turn?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 22" Upfront Rub on Turn?

I have 22x10.5 with 285/30/22 in front and I rub when turning in while encountering uneven pavement. I don't rub when going over speed bumps or anything else. I am not lowered. I know there are people here with 22" and lowered. Does anyone else rub on the front corners? I'm wondering if it is the width of the rim and tire, or if it is the rubbing on a turn in due to the overall wheel diameter.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Is it rubbing on the inside or the outside?

If it's rubbing on the inside perhaps a small spacer will move the wheel out a little to allow it to clear.

If it's rubbing on the outside you'll need a wheel with more offset to allow the wheel to sit further in.

How do the rears fit?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spacers/offset are band aids for the fact that you are putting wheels/tires on your car that it was not designed for...do you enjoy buying tires? Why anyone wants to molest an A8 platform is beyond me....why not bolt a giant wing on the trunk while your'e at it?
Old 05-23-2016, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Rubbing is on the outside. There was a 3MM spacer installed by the wheel manufacturer to clear calipers. However, it does not look like the spacer is needed for A8 calipers. I will remove and see how much it helps.

Rears fit like a glove.

I was just trying to see if there are any others with 22" wheels that experience front wheel clearance when the wheel is turned and the suspension is under hard compression.

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Is it rubbing on the inside or the outside?

If it's rubbing on the inside perhaps a small spacer will move the wheel out a little to allow it to clear.

If it's rubbing on the outside you'll need a wheel with more offset to allow the wheel to sit further in.

How do the rears fit?

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 05-23-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, the 3MM spacer and a giant wing on the back of the trunk is a prefect analogy! You obviously know so much and you must be right. Thank you for that contribution, it was very helpful.

Originally Posted by boomer28
Spacers/offset are band aids for the fact that you are putting wheels/tires on your car that it was not designed for...do you enjoy buying tires? Why anyone wants to molest an A8 platform is beyond me....why not bolt a giant wing on the trunk while your'e at it?
Old 05-23-2016, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Boomer...

I assume you made your post in response to my post above.

While I can not argue the putting wheels/tires on your car that are not designed for comment, your comment about spacers in this situation couldn't be more incorrect.

If in fact the offset on his current wheels is incorrect a set of spacers could move the wheel center line back to where it should be and eliminate tire contact on the inside.

It doesn't matter if the center line is achieved with part of the wheel or a spacer. From a mechanical point it's one and the same.

Now, if you're saying putting on spacers to move the wheels out past the normal center line then you are 100 percent correct. But that is not what I was suggesting.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Rubbing is on the outside. There was a 3MM spacer installed by the wheel manufacturer to clear calipers. However, it does not look like the spacer is needed for A8 calipers. I will remove and see how much it helps.

Rears fit like a glove.
Ok, pull the spacers off and see if that helps. Do you know the offset of the wheel? It may be on the inside of the wheel.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey! I have both 22's and a spoiler on my S8, so I was a little scared to respond to your post, but I won't let others keep me from trying to help out.

I am not sure if you have the same problem me and my buddy had, but in the front wheel wells, at about the 12 O'Clock position (wheel well is the entire clock face), there is a small screw and retaining clip. After much investigation, this screw is not essential, and can be easily removed. I cannot remember if its a torx or philips head. As soon as you remove the screw, the retaining clip will come loose and will fall out, either into your hand, or drop behind the plastic wheel well cover. I took those out two years ago and it has not been an issue.

The rubbing would occur when I was turning left or right and there was change in the incline of the road. Otherwise, it never happened, and I think you are describing a similar issue.

I hope that helps.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Apparently 3MM spacers were not necessary and are now removed, but the rub is still there on occasional turn-ins with elevation.

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Ok, pull the spacers off and see if that helps. Do you know the offset of the wheel? It may be on the inside of the wheel.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think I am describing the same issues and that's what I was thinking... because I could not tell anywhere on the inside of the wheel well where the rub is happening, so I too thought it was the screws.

Are you saying that it were the screws in your case and after you removed them you no longer had rubbing issues?

Originally Posted by uashruf
Hey! I have both 22's and a spoiler on my S8, so I was a little scared to respond to your post, but I won't let others keep me from trying to help out.

I am not sure if you have the same problem me and my buddy had, but in the front wheel wells, at about the 12 O'Clock position (wheel well is the entire clock face), there is a small screw and retaining clip. After much investigation, this screw is not essential, and can be easily removed. I cannot remember if its a torx or philips head. As soon as you remove the screw, the retaining clip will come loose and will fall out, either into your hand, or drop behind the plastic wheel well cover. I took those out two years ago and it has not been an issue.

The rubbing would occur when I was turning left or right and there was change in the incline of the road. Otherwise, it never happened, and I think you are describing a similar issue.

I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: 22" Upfront Rub on Turn?