A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So audi sent in a tech guy from jersey and confirmed they are sending in the latest downtubes, said they are counterbalanced and should eliminate most all the vibration. He told me the nature of the motor is going to leave some vibration. Also mentioned that my audi brakegard should only blink when it is about to hit a object ahead. My 2012 a6 would blink when I followed the car ahead to closely. He mentioned they tuned that out so people wouldn't be annoyed.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's a blessing and a curse now, is that I moved so close to work, I'm now biking to work.

And all my vehicles just....sit.

So I can't to enjoy the vibration free car.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
What's a blessing and a curse now, is that I moved so close to work, I'm now biking to work.

And all my vehicles just....sit.

So I can't to enjoy the vibration free car.
Its that california lifestyle, my son moved from pgh to southern california(marine officer) surfs and is always in a good mood because the weather is always the same.

Sunny
Old 08-08-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the new pipes installed by my dealer, wow what a difference!!! It feels so much smoother and to me it feels more powerful.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by dougpaper
... Also mentioned that my audi brakegard should only blink when it is about to hit a object ahead. My 2012 a6 would blink when I followed the car ahead to closely. He mentioned they tuned that out so people wouldn't be annoyed.
FWIW, this info from the supposed Audi tech guy is incorrect. If you simply follow closer than car wants you to, it blinks. Have seen it 100x on my 2015 S8 in various slowing, lange change and tight traffic scenarios. Manual explicitly says that too, so tech would be contradicting manual. 50-75 feet back at freeway speeds and both cars at same speed and it will blink. Blink and tone is when it is getting another notch dicey and car is ready to cut in. From many reports about adaptive cruise, owners are frustrated and in general want to push cars even closer together than the systems permit to avoid cut ins as another example. Yet, ACC systems can already bring in following distance to like 0.7 seconds, which is way less than 2 second minimum drivers training type refrain. Reported with Audi, Tesla, Merc, BMW, whomever. Not advocating it, just observing. All this stuff is not surprisingly why when you read about some minor starting point incident, it so often now becomes a 3 to 6 car pile up even in moderate traffic. Seen it many times in my rear view in traffic when some yahoo with a junk mobile wakes up from texting or joint haze or whatever and suddenly veers into shoulder with slowing traffic. Or of course, blam-o if no opening, or crap brakes or tires, or stuck in middle lanes. At least brake guard will get on brakes for you if it sees a big speed difference and your gap is closing without driver being on brake some. That feature alone has reduced rear ender claims by like 30% for vehicles with it. Hopefully higher as the guys in my rear view eventually get it, or get it handed down in their beaters.

2015 manual page excerpt below to confirm the "official" explanation for D4.
Attached Thumbnails A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!-screen-shot-2016-08-08-10.02.43-am.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-08-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my 13' A8 to the dealer last Monday for the "vibration". I was called on last Wednesday to ride with the tech who was working on my car to pinpoint the vibration. When I rode with the technician to point out the vibration, he told me Audi knows about the problem and he has done the down pipe replacement several times before. He also told me that sometimes they refuse the down pipe replacement as the vibration is within the operational limits of the engine! I told him this vibration shouldn't be tolerated in a car that costs $30K much less in one that cost $90K! I told him I've had an A8 in my garage since 2001! And this dealership didn't even have A8s on the lot back then, and if I get this car back with that same vibration, this will be the last A8 that I own! I received a call today from my SA telling me they are going to replace the down pipes as per the tsb.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Got my car back and the vibration is gone! Thanks guys!!
Old 09-23-2016, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!

Dropped my 14 S8 off today for the fifth time for this recurring issue.
Second set of down pipes, "new version", going in on Tuesday.
Hope they do better than the first set installed less than six months ago.

First two visits I was told the issue didn't exsist. Third visit it was reported to be the motor mounts. Fourt visit down pipes. Fifth visit will be next gen down pipes.

$118k new, pretty disappointing. Hope they get it worked out the car is pretty sick otherwise.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is amazingly disappointing it it was my $188k , I wouldn't have it!!
I'm not sure if want a car that's been wrenched on that much.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just read this thread after I noticed some slight vibration in the parking lot around 1K RPM. Thought it was a little odd but wrote it off to getting used to a different car than my S5. After reading this I put it into tip mode and held it at 3K RPM and sure enough no matter what speed around 2850 to 3100 RPM very noticeable vibration. Set up appointment for the dealer and have printed the TSB to bring with me. This forum rocks - love the info and appreciation for Audi!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!