A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

BTW, I can see where this issue might be more prevalent with pre-owned vehicles, where original 4.0T owners often don't turn in all the electronic keys, and where dealers then have to program replacement keys---thereby triggering the problem (as described in the TSB). Yes, dealers should now be aware of the TSB and head off the issue, but that's in a perfect world---and when it comes to this stuff, well, you know...
Old 02-08-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Well, even if it were technically possible, I can see where it would be "impossible" for an Audi dealer to perform that deactivation of the variable cylinder setup. The 4.0T engine is certified for sale (in the U.S. Market) by meeting government CAFE emissions and mpg standards, which requires the cylinder deactivation. Mess with that and the car is no longer "legal," and no Audi authorized service department will do that...nor service the car, if they discover it has been done. And kiss any warranty you have goodbye.
Someone at VW will probably do it for you.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HouTexAudi
Someone at VW will probably do it for you.
LOL...Funny!!!
Old 02-08-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The quality of service from dealer to dealer seems to very greatly. My dealer sells both Porsche and Audi. Haven't had and TSB issues with the Audi, but I know in the past with my Porsche the dealer was always very interested when I provided them info on TSB. On my 911 there was a problem with muffler clamps cracking. I told the dealer, gave them the TSB #, they checked, called me and told me they had the parts on order and set up an appointment to have the service performed. I am expecting the same experience on the Audi.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has the dealer worked out the vibration issue? I think I may have the same... for some reason I kept thinking that maybe it's the wheels out of balance, but I knew that it couldn't be because the speeds were too low for wheels to vibrate the car.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What model years are affected by this?
Old 02-20-2016, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, here's the story. I took delivery of the car and they applied the TSB, plus the salesman said it still vibrated a little too much so they also replaced the downtubes. No idea what that would have to do with it.

I still feel the vibration, but it's less than the 2013 I wrecked. It is especially annoying on one winding road I like to drive on in the S mode of the tranny. It makes the engine stay around the 3000rpm mark where it is noticed the most. When I just bring it up to 3000 in neutral I don't notice it much at all, whereas with my other car just bringing it up to that without even driving it would make the vibration very obvious. I seem to notice some of it between 1500 rpm and 3000 and I'm pretty sure what I am feeling is the mounts. Either they just don't do what they're supposed to do, or maybe vibrating out of phase, or whatever, but for a $100K car is totally unacceptable. But I just wasn't digging the BMW or Mercedes. Although I just might go over to the darkside of Merc the next car. Although I don't like the styling as much, they have some great features.

I have a feeling a lot of people have the issue but don't really notice it. In fact, they gave me 4 new Pirelli's and I get so much road vibration from them compared to my last Continental tires, I find the tires actually more annoying then the engine vibration. I think I will have to see about getting some summer tires to alleviate that issue.

I don't know what models years are affected, but have felt it in every 2013 and 2015 I test drove. I never drove a 2014 and didn't have the problem in my 2011 as it didn't have those stupid active motor mounts and cylinder on demand.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Absolutely no front end vibration on my 2015. Not from engine, nor motor mounts. It's smooth as silk...And I notice every tic when something isn't right on my cars.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (12-14-2021)
Old 02-20-2016, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my '13 A8L 4.0 production 11/12 had vibration when cold but even @
operating temps it vibrated at times / thought it was the gas;

A TSB was issued for the exhaust pipes which eliminated the issue. But the dealer had to be 'pushed' to do the repair under warranty //also the transmission would vibrate in gears 4 -> 3 and 3-> 2

trade the car for a A8L 4.0 Feb /13 production w/ Sport suspension and Sport Diff.

much better >> early production of new gens should be avoided!

IMO
Old 02-21-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DavidA
my '13 A8L 4.0 production 11/12 had vibration when cold but even @ operating temps it vibrated at times / thought it was the gas;

A TSB was issued for the exhaust pipes which eliminated the issue. But the dealer had to be 'pushed' to do the repair under warranty...much better >> early production of new gens should be avoided! IMO
TSB for 4.0T exhaust pipes or for engine down pipes? Pretty sure it's for the down pipes, at least that was discussed on S6/S7 forums (4.0T engine). Also, the D4 new gen was 2010 in Europe and 2011MY in North America, with very few issues. The 4.0T replaced the 4.2 V8 2-years later in the 2013MY D4. Perhaps early production of the new engine, but not the D4 gen.

Quick Reply: A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!