A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 comparison with LS460

Old 12-26-2016, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi All,
I test drove an LS-460 and an A8 on Friday the 23rd. My Wife and 30 yr old Son (works for Daimler on the truck side) joined me. The LS-460 is a beautiful car and very well put together. It definitely isolates one from the outside world. We then drove the A8 and would agree with most, that there is really no comparison to the LS, as many have replied to this thread. My wife and I have been married for 33 years and she has never gotten excited over a car. Well.....that all changed with the ride in the A8. The reason was that the A8 had the massaging seats! She was sold and super excited. Even my son, the MBZ guy was highly impressed and told me to go for it. There was no comparison in driving experience. I really was impressed with the 3.0. If we did not have some unexpected major expenses on the house in 2017, I would have bought it. In fact, it was a good thing that the dealer closed early on Christmas Eve because they probably would have gotten a credit card deposit on that car. We were within a millimeter of a deal. In any event, our plan now is to wait and get one of the last of the 17 builds and maybe even special order later in the New Year. I shall also be keeping an eye out for that perfect CPO vehicle that we would want. Thanks to everyone who had input on this thread. One concern I do have is with the carbon issue of GDI vehicles. Any reassuring words from you all might help put my mind to rest. Best wishes for a Happy and Prosperous New Year to All.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I just wanted to put my opinion on the subject. I had a 2013 Lexus LS460 F sport in Black. Beautiful look and finish. Never could get used to the mouse/controller. Ride was comfortable, more wind noise that I expected, but a boring, disconnected ride. The doors appeared flimsy. Have a 2015 A8L 4.0T - love the power and ride! Glad that you test drove both! You should test drive the 4.0T as well.

Name:  DSC_0132_zpse4a6609d.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  c9196da24b39f4904dbb9683f642f056_zps1hk8m9ee.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  804.8 KB
Old 12-30-2016, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS460 is notorious for leaking air around side mirrors. The low tech fix is to pull mirror, glue pennies over the body holes and reassemble. ..poor design. It's embarrassing. But does have a smooth ride. The D4 is still my pick hands down. Best daily driver on the road. You can keep the BMW , MB, jag etc. D4 is the best car PERIOD!!

Last edited by Garycw; 12-30-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven an ls460 and it doesn't hold a candle to the A8/A8L in terms of ride/power/fit-finish.

That said, I would expect it to be easier on the pocketbook when it comes to maintenance and it will be a bit gentler on the depreciation. Not my cup of tea.

Best,
Old 12-31-2016, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, My wife, son, and I all agree with everyone's assessment and we purchased the last 2016 at Audi Beaverton (Portland, OR).......Got a deal too good to walk away from. Monsoon Gray/Black, Executive Pkg, Driver Assistance, 20" wheels/AS tires, Audi Beam Rings, Audi Guard All Wx Floor Mats and Trunk Mat. Picking it up next Thursday. We are really EXCITED!!

Next question. Would the Audi Care Plan (4yrs/45000 mi) be worthwhile at $849? The Finance guy said it would save me about half of the first 4 yr maintenance costs. I cannot find the service requirements yet. Is he blowing smoke??

Thanks Everyone. I am looking forward to hanging out with you all.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It'll save you if you plan on going to the dealer for everything. You can do all the maintenance yourself, if you're a little handy, but I'd keep some kind of record for the next owner, and you'll save another few hundred.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummel
Well, My wife, son, and I all agree with everyone's assessment and we purchased the last 2016 at Audi Beaverton (Portland, OR).......Got a deal too good to walk away from. Monsoon Gray/Black, Executive Pkg, Driver Assistance, 20" wheels/AS tires, Audi Beam Rings, Audi Guard All Wx Floor Mats and Trunk Mat. Picking it up next Thursday. We are really EXCITED!!

Next question. Would the Audi Care Plan (4yrs/45000 mi) be worthwhile at $849? The Finance guy said it would save me about half of the first 4 yr maintenance costs. I cannot find the service requirements yet. Is he blowing smoke??

Thanks Everyone. I am looking forward to hanging out with you all.

If you are over 50, buy it! Or experience service sticker shock after the first comp service is done. I quit twisting wrenches after getting rid of my Alfa's and Lancia's and have no regrets. Just not worth the busted knuckles and laying on a cold garage floor! Yes, Audi is more dependable and straight forward than any Italian marque but still takes time and expertise. And congratulations! You made a very wise decision! Great automobile!
Old 01-01-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
If you are over 50, buy it!
LoL

$849. I would especially considering oil changes are 1-200 varying depending on dealer
Old 01-01-2017, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
If you are over 50, buy it! Or experience service sticker shock after the first comp service is done. I quit twisting wrenches after getting rid of my Alfa's and Lancia's and have no regrets. Just not worth the busted knuckles and laying on a cold garage floor! Yes, Audi is more dependable and straight forward than any Italian marque but still takes time and expertise. And congratulations! You made a very wise decision! Great automobile!
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I'm approaching 50 and I look forward to working on the car. I find it relaxing and gets me some much needed "me time." Cold garage floor? What's that? Heated garage is the only way to fly.

Best,
Old 01-01-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jlam1017
LoL

$849. I would especially considering oil changes are 1-200 varying depending on dealer
That's 2 x 4L jugs of Rotella T6 @ Walmart and maybe another $20 for the filter cartridge (assuming 4.0T). $60-70 and you're sure you get it done right and with quality oil/filter rather than the bulk oil that 90+% of the dealers will dump in there. And it only takes about 15 minutes (when YOU feel like doing it...no waiting around a stealership).

Would saving $100 every 7500 miles change my life? Nope. But I kinda like doing it and the fact that it's cheaper and on MY schedule is icing on the cake. I don't ever let a dealer touch my vehicle unless it's some sort of warranty/recall issue or I'm THAT strapped for time.

Best,

Search this Thread