A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 D4 Bang & Olufsen retrofit

Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A8 D4 Bang & Olufsen retrofit

Hello everyone,

I have retrofitted a complete B&O system in my 2010 A8 4H, the install was a big job which required a lot of planning plus it wasn't a cheap thing to do even using used components however it was interesting to do and has taught me a lot about the car.

I have 2 fault codes which are 3389 data set implausable and 3175 data set invalid, everything works apart from the front/rear/all/movie mode doesn't change anything and the volume leveling does not seem to do anything apart from increase the volume but makes no change when driving at different speeds. other than that it all works fine although I can't help but think it might be stuck in movie mode.

I had my local Audi dealer remove component protection from the main amp as it was used, they didn't have any problem about doing this.

The main amp is a 4H0035465A with software 150 H06

Any ideas as my only thought is to get Audi to update the amp software or check what the software managment status of the car is.

Many thanks

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Old 10-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the menu settings problem and the data implausible errors, it sounds to me like there is a coding issue. Have you checked the advanced settings with the VAG-COM?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply,

The more I look at the problem the more I think it is the parameters/data in the amp, I had mu local dealer do the SVM on the car but it would only work with the original Bose amp installed. The 5F errors are now gone. SVM won't work on retrofitted components so I'm not quite sure what the next step is.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

A quick update about the retrofit.

I now have the system working well with all menus functioning properly, it looks like the master amp didn't have a software set that had ever been set up in a car, I now have a pair of amps from a 2010 W12 (with 2011 software) and after having Audi remove the component protection there are no errors.

What I must stay is that the sound was very clinical and way too bright, I'm not sure if this was down to this being a retrofit but I suspect not as I have used an original harness and a pair of amps from the same car.

I have made some simple modifications which have made a big difference and the system is much more balanced now. I would like to hear honest opinions of people who have either owned cars or listened to one with B&O for a while.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think nobody in USA has done this retrofit yet
Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey there D4s!
on the subject of B&Os stereos (it s more than that) got a couple of questions-

*morning start on AM radio /news/sports, etc/ gets a rumble on the center speaker,
but later after warm up and higher temperatures it seems fine, so does it warm up?

*2nd: the drivers lower (larger) speaker has a long scratch & a few others so I need a use one or a new one (expensive) any ideas??

Thanks
David
Old 12-15-2014, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi David,

From my experience the centre speaker can vibrate more than the others but sometimes the grille is causing the noise, I used fabric tape under the grille and it cured this fault, if you are going to remove the grille then be very carefull and use something made of plastic especially prising the clips up further away from you. you do the ones nearest you first then working under the grille the further ones next.

The Aluminium grilles are difficult because they are anodised the grey colour so you can't polish marks out, I had a small chip in one and used a very small amount of Audi Atlas Grey which took your eye away from the damage, with a scratch I don't know. New grilles are around £200 ($250-300) each, ouch.

What do you honestly think of the sound overall?

Alan
Old 11-16-2015, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just a quick update for anyone with B&O in their A8 4H.

I have done quite a few mods since the retrofit as I wasn't happy with the sound and have found various ways of making it better but the 2 biggest ones were to fit a 100mfd high voltage capacitor inline with the positive side of the centre mid to reduce vibration and replacing the front door mids with D7608/920000 soft dome midranges fron Scanspeak as the standard mids seem to break up and scream, I have done various mods to balance the levels etc but these are the biggest changes
Old 11-16-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

waaaaay too technical for me but I like the idea!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by synchrocnc
Just a quick update for anyone with B&O in their A8 4H.

I have done quite a few mods since the retrofit as I wasn't happy with the sound and have found various ways of making it better but the 2 biggest ones were to fit a 100mfd high voltage capacitor inline with the positive side of the centre mid to reduce vibration and replacing the front door mids with D7608/920000 soft dome midranges fron Scanspeak as the standard mids seem to break up and scream, I have done various mods to balance the levels etc but these are the biggest changes

Just imagine what you could achieve if you had a proper DSP installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8 D4 Bang & Olufsen retrofit