A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L 2011-2014 D4 Front strut "humming/harmonics" claimed by Audi to be Tire noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baloo588,

You lost me on the road force for each tire/wheel. ??? The drive shaft to the differential is the way I might have envisioned where the noise was emanating.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Joeluck,

Road force balancing is another method for balancing the wheels and tires and is far superior method then the standard dynamic balancing. IT allows for measurement of the high spot of the tire and low spot of the rim and tells the tech to mark them so they can line the tire and rim to the best position to make the rim/tire more round. Then there is a 1,200 lbs roller that will roll against the wheel/tire like the road when the tire is spun on the machine to measure the wheel hop. Every 0.001 inch of a run out will cause 1 lbs downward force from the wheel/tire onto the road. Thats very small and if its greater then 10-12 lbs the Audi will vibrate at high frequency no matter how well the wheels/tires are dynamically balanced. Mostly all cars are sensitive now and I have my wheel/tires road force balance from the beginning with a new tire/wheel set and when I need to replace a tire or rim. This gives me glass smooth ride at all speed and detect slightly out of round tire and bent rims from pot holes easily so I can get replacement quickly.

All car dealers have this machine and charge a premium to get it done but it also matters how well experienced the technician is. I have had dumb techns at discount tire that have no clue about this machine and cannot balance the wheels properly. This is why i choose my Audi dealer or independent mechanic with the road force machine that is recommended by tirerack.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by joeeluck
Baloo588,

You lost me on the road force for each tire/wheel. ??? The drive shaft to the differential is the way I might have envisioned where the noise was emanating.
I think you should get a regional representative to come out and test drive the car with you. I did that with my dealer and the representative discovered the problem and had the dealer rotate the shaft 180 degrees to cancel out the harmonic but it did not help so they ordered a new shaft from Germany and the car is smooth and quiet again.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I think you should get a regional representative to come out and test drive the car with you. I did that with my dealer and the representative discovered the problem and had the dealer rotate the shaft 180 degrees to cancel out the harmonic but it did not help so they ordered a new shaft from Germany and the car is smooth and quiet again.
You might very well have something there.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 PM
FWA
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Andoiwebb
Just a question for everyone suffering with this noise; when you press the brake pedal, does the noise reduce or change frequency? It does on my A8, it pretty much goes away.

I have some dynamat type material and will be fitting it to all suspension components and front bulkhead when the weather gets a bit warmer.
I have the same issue. Touch the brakes very gently and either the pitch of the noise changes or it goes away completely.
Had it aligned and all looked green on the screen.
Can it be the tie rods? Maybe it starts tracking different when applying the brakes .
Old 10-03-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by FWA
I have the same issue. Touch the brakes very gently and either the pitch of the noise changes or it goes away completely.
Had it aligned and all looked green on the screen.
Can it be the tie rods? Maybe it starts tracking different when applying the brakes .
I have the same issue the noise seemingly coming from the windscreen area and yes applying the brakes does get rid of it. I have just purchased the car 4 days ago having part exchanged a Lexus LS460. Its a 2014 A8L with 6000 miles on it. It has Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres 255/45/19 and obviously 19 inch wheels. It has the double glazed glass in the side windows and no sound appears to emanate from them. The noise is road surface dependent, going from virtual silence to a roar. In my opinion the noise is generated at the tyres then transmitted to the car. Tyres that are less sensitive to road surface imperfections should reduce the noise, but which tyres are best ?? Also the car should have been designed better to isolate this vibration/noise. The car is capable of being very quiet on some road surfaces unfortunately the vast majority of roads are far from perfect. Its a big disappointment compared to the Lexus in this respect. The fact that applying the brakes gently dampens the noise indicates resonance in the suspension, brakes, wheel etc being suppressed by the brake pads touching the discs. Like touching a tuning fork with your hand. Driving about with the brakes on all the time is not the solution though. But what is?? I am considering buying different tyres but which ones?? Do the Continental contisilents actually work. Strangely I can't find any reviews on these tyres on the web?? What a shame a fantastic car ruined by a basic problem. As has been said previously Audi obviously know about the problem otherwise why bring in noise cancellation technology on the 2015 model.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Correction to my post above. It turns out my car is a 2015 model complete with the automatic noise cancellation technology. Apparently the ANC is there to prevent noise entering the cabin when the engine goes into 4 cylinder mode as do the active engine mounts. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to work for other frequencies/noises.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Get the pirelli "noise cancelling" tires

Originally Posted by cadillacv8
I have the same issue the noise seemingly coming from the windscreen area and yes applying the brakes does get rid of it. I have just purchased the car 4 days ago having part exchanged a Lexus LS460. Its a 2014 A8L with 6000 miles on it. It has Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres 255/45/19 and obviously 19 inch wheels. It has the double glazed glass in the side windows and no sound appears to emanate from them. The noise is road surface dependent, going from virtual silence to a roar. In my opinion the noise is generated at the tyres then transmitted to the car. Tyres that are less sensitive to road surface imperfections should reduce the noise, but which tyres are best ?? Also the car should have been designed better to isolate this vibration/noise. The car is capable of being very quiet on some road surfaces unfortunately the vast majority of roads are far from perfect. Its a big disappointment compared to the Lexus in this respect. The fact that applying the brakes gently dampens the noise indicates resonance in the suspension, brakes, wheel etc being suppressed by the brake pads touching the discs. Like touching a tuning fork with your hand. Driving about with the brakes on all the time is not the solution though. But what is?? I am considering buying different tyres but which ones?? Do the Continental contisilents actually work. Strangely I can't find any reviews on these tyres on the web?? What a shame a fantastic car ruined by a basic problem. As has been said previously Audi obviously know about the problem otherwise why bring in noise cancellation technology on the 2015 model.
Sorry for the long disappearance - My car does not change with brakes applied however the Pirelli P Zero "Noise Cancelling" AO tires sold on Tire Rack almost eliminate the issue. The problem is resonance somewhere in the car generated by vibration from road contact via the tires. The foam inside the tire adequately stifles most vibration from reaching the unknown problem area(s).

If you have this issue and have 20's - buy the Pirelli P Zero Noise Cancelling Tires, they are $15 more than the regular all seasons... If you have 19's, I am not sure if the "noise cancelling" model is made - also when I had 19's put on my car there was little to no noise (dealership tried to blame the sound as a "characteristic" of having 20's...) I personally would try Michelin Pilot Sports if you have 19's, great tire and about as quiet as you will get in the A8.

The Pirellis aren't the best tire on the road and this is not a true fix, but it is a good and adequate crutch. I am very, very happy with my car now with these tires -- and that's saying quite a bit. I have about 5,000 miles on 'em so far... my fingers are crossed vibration will still be decently mitigated as rubber hardens.

With the whole VW/Audi Diesel debacle I hope the forum realizes bluntly put, we bought cars from a bunch of liars who happen to make some swell cars. The industry is most likely all the same however it is clear to me Audi trains every employee to deflect responsibility wherever possible and pretty much blatantly lie for the sake of profitability. So disheartening.

Good luck to all and again - get the Pirellis if you have the same issue as I; you won't regret.

Last edited by ffejrey; 10-05-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ffejrey
Sorry for the long disappearance - My car does not change with brakes applied however the Pirelli P Zero "Noise Cancelling" AO tires sold on Tire Rack almost eliminate the issue. The problem is resonance somewhere in the car generated by vibration from road contact via the tires. The foam inside the tire adequately stifles most vibration from reaching the unknown problem area(s).

If you have this issue and have 20's - buy the Pirelli P Zero Noise Cancelling Tires, they are $15 more than the regular all seasons... If you have 19's, I am not sure if the "noise cancelling" model is made - also when I had 19's put on my car there was little to no noise (dealership tried to blame the sound as a "characteristic" of having 20's...) I personally would try Michelin Pilot Sports if you have 19's, great tire and about as quiet as you will get in the A8.

The Pirellis aren't the best tire on the road and this is not a true fix, but it is a good and adequate crutch. I am very, very happy with my car now with these tires -- and that's saying quite a bit. I have about 5,000 miles on 'em so far... my fingers are crossed vibration will still be decently mitigated as rubber hardens.

With the whole VW/Audi Diesel debacle I hope the forum realizes bluntly put, we bought cars from a bunch of liars who happen to make some swell cars. The industry is most likely all the same however it is clear to me Audi trains every employee to deflect responsibility wherever possible and pretty much blatantly lie for the sake of profitability. So disheartening.

Good luck to all and again - get the Pirellis if you have the same issue as I; you won't regret.
Thanks for the information unfortunately they don't seem to make the Pirelli in the 19"size. The Continental contisilent system appears to use the same idea of a foam layer on the inside of the tyre and is available in 19". Maybe I will try them.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is an old post but if you happen to read, your description is identical to what I hear on my Q7. And yes it has made it a torture to drive rather than the joy it's supposed to be!
So it's a strut issue or wheel bearing? Tried the swapping if tired too and that didn't fix jack!

Quick Reply: A8L 2011-2014 D4 Front strut "humming/harmonics" claimed by Audi to be Tire noise