A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8l 4.0T Crapped out on Highway

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default A8l 4.0T Crapped out on Highway

13k Mikes just bought it used 2 months ago has been great except dreaded engine vibration had at dealer last week they couldn't replicate had already made appointment to bring in today! Driving on Highway with frequent stop lights up a hill, everything was running fine all the sudden it stalls. Message says restart car manually the auto stop is not activated. I leave it switched off 100% of the time. Try to restart it just cranks. People beeping behind me I pump the gas and try again it starts but won't idle and stalls. So I pump it up and keep the revs at 1000 and put in drive it worked. It lumped through the next mile to my destination I parked and that was it. Audi roadside brought it to my dealer they just called. Some special "breather assembly" under the turbos failed, they have to special order it won't be in until Monday afternoon. I don't know what to think never heard this one before. Then they will work on vibration if it's still there.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out and back on the road quickly.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, had a similar experience with my two month old S5, water pump failure left me stranded on side of the freeway.

Good news is never had another problem with the car...

John
Old 08-03-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update service advisor called yesterday the car is not ready. I said why what happened he said they replaced the defective breather assembly and the tech didn't like the way it ran on the test drive not enough boost/power. I said wow that's weird is everything ok he said don't worry we have our best tech working on it he has won awards from Audi and he won't let it leave without it running to his satisfaction, they are replacing the turbos! I don't know what to think but I am happy they aren't pinching pennies and trying to figure it out.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good tech and dealer. I've got slot of respect for s dealer that'll fix it right on warranty work, rather than how little they can get by with you giving it s ok. New Turbo's... Wow! It should have plenty of pep when they get done with it. Curious as to what else they find and why?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cars finally done they just called. I'm in AC so I'll be picking it up Monday and will provide an update. Hoping it runs like a raped ape, it was great before it crapped out we'll see.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Make sure you get a very thorough description of what was done, parts, etc. Might be worth poking at whether they by chance did downpipes change out for vibration per TSB since they were right in there. If not, watch for it per that thread.

Also see if they changed oil and filter, or maybe even flushed it if it implicated oil/bearing side of turbos.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Absolutely will do, he told me briefly that the left turbo impeller had come apart which seems crazy. If any junk went through the engine it's under warranty I have 2.5 years and 37k miles to go.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom C
Absolutely will do, he told me briefly that the left turbo impeller had come apart which seems crazy. If any junk went through the engine it's under warranty I have 2.5 years and 37k miles to go.
If it did, also find out more. Impeller has two sides, so intake is a potentially catastrophic engine scenario, while exhaust is more like shake some pieces out of the next part of exhaust or catalytic converter. But add to question list, what did they do about any broken pieces? Guessing it is on exhaust side, that leads to what did they do about the TSB about vibrations, aligning exhaust, potentially replacing head pipes, etc.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hope everything was sorted out. Out of curiosity, what dealer did you take it too? I've had a bad experience with my dealer so I wanted to take it in one last time for some end of warranty goodies but definitely not taking it back to that one lol

Quick Reply: A8l 4.0T Crapped out on Highway