A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L vs S8 - LWB v NWB dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8L vs S8 - LWB v NWB dilemma

I have a 2006 A8L with an S8 body kit, 22" Velanos. I'm getting up there in mileage and looking at the S8 as my next purchase. I'm curious as to how the difference in interior room feels with the shorter wheelbase? I have 2 small kids still in car seats and the LWB is amazing. But the S8 is just a sick ride, that I think my kids will just have to deal with less space. Also can anyone tell me if the difference in the trunk is very noticeable...golf clubs, etc?
Old 11-07-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If you mean difference in trunk space between LWB and NWB, there isn't any. Between the D3 and D4, it's a noticeable loss of space. Best bet, bring your normal course load in your car to the dealer with you and see how it fits. Interior space in the NWB is notably less but still very good when compared to anything but a LWB car.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a NWB D3 and a NWB D4, so I'm probably hitting this from the other perspective, but on the occasions where I've had an LWB D4 as a loaner I find the additional space in the back to be quite noticeable.
Not in an "OMG it's a totally different car" kind of way, and not much (?any really) difference in the driving dynamics, but more a generalized awareness of a larger empty space behind you.
I've had rear seat passengers on 3-4 hour trips in the NWB, and they seemed perfectly comfortable.

The D4 trunk is notably smaller than the D3, but I can still easily fit my clubs into it, thanks to the indentations behind the wheel arches. Clubs + trolley + small bag with a change of clothes and you're pretty much full. You can get two sets of clubs in...but the awkwardness of the angle means you don't have much room for anything else, unless it's small and can get stuffed into nooks and crannies.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by makeithappen
I have a 2006 A8L with an S8 body kit, 22" Velanos. I'm getting up there in mileage and looking at the S8 as my next purchase. I'm curious as to how the difference in interior room feels with the shorter wheelbase? I have 2 small kids still in car seats and the LWB is amazing. But the S8 is just a sick ride, that I think my kids will just have to deal with less space. Also can anyone tell me if the difference in the trunk is very noticeable...golf clubs, etc?
Not sure from your post if you are considering new or pre-owned. If new (or finding a pre-owned 2015) then the trunk space from 2015+ was made a bit larger in terms of effective depth. The below pic shows the 2015 D4 trunk depth with a 2011 D4 trunk mat---it's about 4" deeper vs. pre-facelift dimension. As has been said, there is no difference in trunk dimensions between LWB and NWB---the difference is in the wheelbase length. Kids in car seats should be fine in a NWB S8---but maneuvering back there to set up the car seats would be easier in a LWB I'd imagine.

Also, getting a LWB with the Panaramic rear sunroof might be nice for the kids in back. 🤗
Attached Images  

Last edited by derfA8L; 11-07-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the LWB (2013) and the rear seat legroom is crazy. My 4 year old, who is tall for his age, can't come anywhere near kicking the back of the front passenger seat.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a '13 A8L before my '14 S8 before my '16 S8 and I never really felt comfortable in the LWB car--I always felt like I was driving a limousine. You could literally lay down on the rear floor board and take a nap and I do not have anyone in the back seat most of the time. However, definitely enough leg room in the rear of my S8.

Last edited by HouTexAudi; 11-07-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I get it! I came from a BMW 750 SWB. Didn't think I'd want a LWB but the Audi doesn't have that option any longer in the A8. Surprisingly I love it. I don't feel that it's that big, until I try to park it in my tandem 3 car garage. One side is tandem and when my wife has the LR4 in front my car, it BARELY fits. Like 3 inches of space between my car and the garage door.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a D3 before my D4 ( Both NWB) and I often wonder where all the trunk space has gone. Rear legroom seems the same, overall length seems the same.

My legs definitely haven't got any longer. So why is the trunk so much smaller ?
Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i came out of a 2008 S8 and into the 2015 A8L 4.0. I have 2 4 year olds, and this is the car we take on road trips. they can't quite kick the seats yet, which they could on the S8. The A8 out performs the D3 S8 in all areas but the glorious sound that was emanated from my pinned open exhaust.

i am going keep the A8L 4.0 a couple of years for them to get older and then look at the S8 Plus!
Old 11-10-2015, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought the L would feel bigger but it doesn't while driving at all. And I came from the 750i. It is bigger in the garage though and we have a tandem garage on one side (3 car total) and if the LR4 is in front of the Audi, it's pretty tight

Quick Reply: A8L vs S8 - LWB v NWB dilemma