A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive air suspension

Old 03-27-2014, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Adaptive air suspension

Hi there,
I was wondering if Audi A8L 2012 (D4) has an adaptive Air suspension.
I had a 2004 A8L and it had the air suspension. As matter of fact I could see it in the dash the light, car up or car down arrow.
But there is no way to see this on the dash of the 2012 model. You can choose the Driving mode on the MMI but I have noe seen any signs on the dash as in which mode the car is.
Any ideas?

Thank you
Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only way to see it is to go into the MMI settings and see what it is set to.

The raising/lowering arrows don't show up in DIS on the D4.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
Only way to see it is to go into the MMI settings and see what it is set to.

The raising/lowering arrows don't show up in DIS on the D4.
Hi Jake,
I have been playing with the air suspending via the MMI. When using the interface to operate the suspension, how long will it take to take effect?

Must I get out of the car to visually see it lowering or raising? I am assuming I won't be able to feel it inside the car, right?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by antmay
When using the interface to operate the suspension, how long will it take to take effect?

Must I get out of the car to visually see it lowering or raising? I am assuming I won't be able to feel it inside the car, right?
Hi Anthony-

It's immediate from my experience.
Other than the manually raising/lowering function I've never felt any change to height, just the ride.

It is easy to notice if you can safely change, or better have a passenger change, it while in motion.
When I first got mine I would change while stationary, drive a pre-set loop, change again, to notice the differences in suspension, steering, and transmission.

Some excellent videos on settings here: http://www.audiusa.com/help/video-tutorials
There are a couple I wasn't aware of like the Curb View mirror setting.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
Hi Anthony-

It's immediate from my experience.
Other than the manually raising/lowering function I've never felt any change to height, just the ride.

It is easy to notice if you can safely change, or better have a passenger change, it while in motion.
When I first got mine I would change while stationary, drive a pre-set loop, change again, to notice the differences in suspension, steering, and transmission.

Some excellent videos on settings here: http://www.audiusa.com/help/video-tutorials
There are a couple I wasn't aware of like the Curb View mirror setting.
Jake, I might have interprets the question wrongly. I am not referring to the tightness of the suspension or ride, rather the height of the car for example when parking to raise it higher to clear a curb and wont hit the bumper. What what I read in the manual. When I play with it, I don't feel anything

Last edited by antmay; 03-28-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by antmay
rather the height of the car for example when parking to raise it higher to clear a curb and wont hit the bumper. What what I read in the manual. When I play with it, I don't feel anything
I don't really either.
The only way I can tell is to visually reference something with the hood or deck lid.

Under Car when you hit the top left soft button for raise or lower it will blink while in motion.
As I recall there are arrows on either side of the vehicle image indicating the direction.

It's definitely not as intuitive as the D3 was, but has much quieter and smoother operation of the air suspension.

EDIT: Picture of MMI with arrows here: http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a8/2012/...igh-rider.html

Last edited by jakematic; 03-28-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: additional link
Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can definitely notice when it is adjusting.

The rear raises first and then the front. If you site a fixed object in front of the car you'll notice the shift in position as it raises.

You can do this will moving if you have VIM turned on (Video in motion).

It's handy to raise the suspension when you enter a steep drive at a parking garage or similar. Or when dropping off a passenger near a pile of snow on the sidewalk. LOL...

Mike.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... I don't have VIM and I can still raise and lower my car while in motion.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Lazydog
Hmmm... I don't have VIM and I can still raise and lower my car while in motion.
I think Dr. Aronis means you can see it on the RVC/TVC with VIM.
That's one mod I've been toying with - adjusting the speed at which RVC shuts off...