A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Light Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adaptive Light Failure

Just got this error message on my dash, Adaptive light failure. It happens at night and comes on after I turn left with the lights on. I can't see any obvious failure as lights seem to work just fine. My car just went out of warranty and these potentially expensive repairs are coming up as if by magic. I just had a coolant leak in the back of engine repaired (cost split between the dealer and me because it happened so close to warranty expiration).
Old 08-17-2015, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I don't know about your problem, but I had a really bad experience at a dealer in Norfolk where it turned out they were causing the problems I was having. I caught that one when they said my radiator sprung a massive leak while they had it and I dragged it out of there to pull the radiator myself and found where it had been clearly stabbed with a screwdriver. Cost me $3,000...

Long story short, my tolerance for believing in coincidence is very small these days.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read a review of the AB once that said there are two types of cars, ones you want to own and those you don't. The reviewer said the A8 was fantastic in every way, but it was not a car they would want to own, lease yes, trade in before the warranty expires, sure. Own, which they defined as long term ownership, no. Their reasoning was the technology, while impressive, would it stand up to the test of time and be worth the expense down the road.

I wanted to disagree with the reviewer because I have known D3s that have stayed on the road for a long time with little to no issues, it's just another VW product that will get 100k miles with little more than fresh oil and a widget replaced here and there.

After my A8 went out of warranty I had a very minor issue so I brought it in. While it was covered under my extended warranty, I was blown away by the cost of one tiny motor used to direct air from the ac vent to the winshield, $932.00. It was at that point that I began to agree with that reviewer. My original warranty as well as extended warranty lasts for 7 years with no deductable and covers everything but trim and maintainance parts.

I love my A8, but there is no way I am driving it one day past warranty. To be honest, I rarely drive cars that long to begin with, but there is just too much technology to justify the cost once that technology becomes obsolete and begins to wear out.

My only real decision is if I want another A8. If I did get another, it would be one, maybe two, years old when my warranty expires, because the depreciation on A8s sickens me. That would put me at a 2015/16, which, other than than the motor, is nearly identical to my 2011 except i won't be able to get a SWB. Life is too short to drive any car, no matter how fantastic, for that long. I think that may be the point when I get my mid life crisis car.

Last edited by kobanna; 08-18-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I agree with you. The car will likely be sold once I get this issue fixed.