A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have info on recent purchase prices?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ImpartialFocus
Backstory:
So a friend/neighbor of mine is the Sales Manager for my local Audi dealership. He convinced me to move to the A6 platform a few years back and then upgraded me to a 2014 S6 last October. An unfortunate head-on crash with a car running a red light totaled my beloved S6. That car went back to my Audi dealership for a refined look before the repairs took place and determined just about everything was destroyed. I was bound and determined to get the exact same car.

New requirements:
My friend/Sales manager put me in an A8L with the luxury & rear seat comfort package to test drive for the weekend. My wife didn't like the S6 much, and much prefers the A8L ride. I take VP's/CTO's/CEO's out to lunch/golf/dinner a lot, so cramming into the 6 platform was proving difficult. So the A8L was becoming the platform of choice.

Research:
I'm an Engineer by degree, but in a Business/Finance career now. I used cars.com to expand my search to locate and research prices/options, ran a spreadsheet, scored the cars based on cost, mileage & options. I weighed the options from 1-5 and worked on the upper portion of the list. I have found that a 2 year mark seems to be where the depreciation levels out more; so I focused in on the 2014's. The 2013's didn't have massaging rear seats, and with my A6 (2013), had more issues with the MMI connection with my cell than my 2014 S6. 2015 A8L's seem to be close to my budgets, but the 4.0t's were out of my willingness range. Regardless, I'll be spending 20k less for an A8L than what I had in my S6.

Acquisition:
There were a handful of 2014 A8L's out there. With less than 35k miles, I think cars.com came back with 70 cars or so. 60% of those could be eliminated with the 3.0t and TDI motors. If an Audi dealer has a CPO used car in stock, they have more invested in the car than the used car lots would. So, my Audi guy said that the best way to acquire a car was to locate one on a used (non-audi) car lot, or find one non-CPO'd at another Audi dealership.
My search had 1 car meeting 90% of my criteria. I wouldn't consider the entertainment package... I really dislike the screens. I really wanted the sport diff, but found a car decked with: Luxury, Premium, rear seat comfort, driver assistance, Night Vision, B&O, 20 inch, Cold weather packages. 4 cars nation wide came close. All under 35k miles and under $55k
I found a few great cars at Audi Marin & several in CT and NJ. But for me to get better costs, I'd have to have the car shipped to avoid taxes in various states. Shipping can cost between $1k and $1.5k.

The buying/selling process:
I did the research, told my Audi guy that I found a car (in Florida). He reached out to the dealer there, bought the car, is shipping (currently in transit) to Boulder Audi, and then he'll CPO it and sell it to me. The car is supposed be here Thursday. Baring no massive issues, my dealership will CPO it and I'll have a car by the weekend. All I have to do is the paper work. Done.

I use car brokers. I have two neighbors I use to purchase vehicles. One is my Audi guy, the other is a general broker. Both can handle my OCD requirements and help me get a vehicle. If it's Audi, I use my Audi guy for the CPO reasons. Plus when I take the car in for service, the guys there treat everyone like royalty.

If you want to see my moronic spreadsheet, you're more than welcome to it. The hardest part is getting the details of the cars listed. Not all "REAL" options are accurate, nor mentioned. Of the cars I was interested in, I was able to have my Audi guys provide a monroney (Window sticker) based on the VIN. I know exactly the options I'm getting with the car and the original price. So, I'm acquiring a $116,110 car, two years later for $49,900. 34k miles. What I like about this platform is you're most likely buying from an older dude that isn't as aggressive as you'll get from a used S4 or S6.
thank you for your explanation. i have been going back and forth between leasing new, 100k msrp, but the prices are stupid high, approx 1300 a month for 36 months 12k a year because of the low 46% residual. I also have been looking at buying slightly used 2016 ( i do like the new lights and new 4.0 sport). problem there is when i check the wholesale values they drop approx 15k a year starting with 2015. i really like the a8 but might have to consider the 750x although i think it is a less solid and sporty car.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Robert,
The A8, 750i, XJ, S550 and the LS460 all drop insanely. If you look at 2013s in Cars.com you will find that all these models range from $40k to $55k depending on options and mileage. The S550 and 750s are impossible to find in CPO in my area. A8s and Jags (2012s) are plenty in CPO.

There was also a recent article that showed that the depreciation for the flagships were about the same, the Lexus being slightly better and Jag lower. So taking your stack of pennies to BMW is going to be just as painful in the end.
Resale Value: 2016 Jaguar XJ vs. Lexus, BMW, and Audi - Motor Trend

I just bought a 2013 A8 for $41k. The car stickered at $89k. Someone else paid out over $55k in about 3.5 years (assumes $5k margin for dealer) for mine. I think the 2013 models are the sweet spot now for depreciation vs. specs for all the flagships. In 8 months, it will be the 2014s.

I am with you that the 2016s are the best looking of the bunch and have some evolved features. I also like the interior options. If you have a biz you can hide it in as an expense, then go for it. Otherwise, I suggest the 2013s now, or wait until fall for the 14s to arrive off lease. If your still set on spending 70k, then get a used S8.

Bill
Old 04-20-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

A year ago I paid $71.5 for a nearly new 2015 A8 3.0t with 2400 miles. Car stickered for $87,000. I know my car has continued to drop but it was the best deal I could find a year ago for a current model year car. Mine was a service loaner and was basically new - AND it has a CPO warranty. Perhaps you can find a good deal on a loaner. Also, why not the facelifted A7? Just curious.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OhNoMrBill
Robert,
The A8, 750i, XJ, S550 and the LS460 all drop insanely. If you look at 2013s in Cars.com you will find that all these models range from $40k to $55k depending on options and mileage. The S550 and 750s are impossible to find in CPO in my area. A8s and Jags (2012s) are plenty in CPO.

There was also a recent article that showed that the depreciation for the flagships were about the same, the Lexus being slightly better and Jag lower. So taking your stack of pennies to BMW is going to be just as painful in the end.
Resale Value: 2016 Jaguar XJ vs. Lexus, BMW, and Audi - Motor Trend

I just bought a 2013 A8 for $41k. The car stickered at $89k. Someone else paid out over $55k in about 3.5 years (assumes $5k margin for dealer) for mine. I think the 2013 models are the sweet spot now for depreciation vs. specs for all the flagships. In 8 months, it will be the 2014s.

I am with you that the 2016s are the best looking of the bunch and have some evolved features. I also like the interior options. If you have a biz you can hide it in as an expense, then go for it. Otherwise, I suggest the 2013s now, or wait until fall for the 14s to arrive off lease. If your still set on spending 70k, then get a used S8.

Bill
well put bill I agree on the purchasing thing. I guess i should expand a little on my thoughts. traditionally the audi does not lease well but do maintain their resale value better than bmw. but in this case both loose a lot on resale. however, the bmw residual is 60% for the same 36 month 12k which make leasing a lot more affordable by as much as 300 to 400 a month less than leasing the A8. So buying and leasing is expensive with the A8, the 750 is expensive to buy, reasonable to lease, especially since they are having a real hard time selling them.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Puzz1
A year ago I paid $71.5 for a nearly new 2015 A8 3.0t with 2400 miles. Car stickered for $87,000. I know my car has continued to drop but it was the best deal I could find a year ago for a current model year car. Mine was a service loaner and was basically new - AND it has a CPO warranty. Perhaps you can find a good deal on a loaner. Also, why not the facelifted A7? Just curious.
i should update my profile. I have moved on to a m5, paying less than 950 a month, msrp was 128k. Loved the a7, but i want more room, hence the 7er or A8.

I am looking at loaners. I want the 16 4.0 with drivers assist and BandO. Hard to find. There is one out there but asking 80k, too much.

any advice on how to find or search for the loaners before they are posted?

Last edited by robertsalem; 04-20-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertsalem
i should update my profile. I have moved on to a m5, paying less than 950 a month, msrp was 128k. Loved the a7, but i want more room, hence the 7er or A8.

I am looking at loaners. I want the 16 4.0 with drivers assist and BandO. Hard to find. There is one out there but asking 80k, too much.

any advice on how to find or search for the loaners before they are posted?
Call the big dealers in the east coast. Valenti?? Has a lot of A8's, as well as NJ. Out of my 2014 search, only 5 or 6 cars with B&O came up. More with 15's but they were still too expensive.
The B&O seems to be rarer than I thought. The loaners end up on the used market, but sometimes cost more at the initial purchase. My dealer had better deals on new A8's at the 85k range than the used one he had. So many incentives on the new cars brought the price well below the used one!
Find out when their quarter end is. Find an A8 and hook them some. Wait until quarter end, if they're hurting, you get a good deal.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice to have those dealer connects. I did similar to the S600 Lorinser I bout about a decade back.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick update. Although I posted a long discussion of what I intended to do, I finally saw the used car that was shipped in, and it had obviously been put into a ditch or something equivalent. The car was so badly damaged underneath, it came close to totaling it. Ugh. Not a good place to be. I'll have more in another thread. I ended up leasing a 2016 A8L, 3.0t. I wasn't going to put my friend and dealer through another search, only to get a lemon again. The 3.0t is much slower than the 4.0t, no doubt, but will put me in a better position with the fact that I have a lead foot.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A quick update. Although I posted a long discussion of what I intended to do, I finally saw the used car that was shipped in, and it had obviously been put into a ditch or something equivalent. The car was so badly damaged underneath, it came close to totaling it. Ugh. Not a good place to be. I'll have more in another thread. I ended up leasing a 2016 A8L, 3.0t. I wasn't going to put my friend and dealer through another search, only to get a lemon again. The 3.0t is much slower than the 4.0t, no doubt, but will put me in a better position with the fact that I have a lead foot.
That really sucks! I was wishing that I was able to get the deal you listed but it seems that there are always chances of issues occurring when you can't see the car yourself. Last week I went to 4 different Audi dealers and looked at many '13 A8L 4.0T's, all priced from $43K to $55K. I noticed that spending more did not guarantee a nicer equipped or condition car. Luckily I found one that had all of the options that I really liked ($97K list new), CPO, in as close to new condition as I could imagine priced in the middle range of what I was looking for. Online the all looked nearly perfect, but I learned that seeing them in person is much more reliable.

Good luck with your '16, that new face/rear is definitely a nice option compared to the 4.0T engine in an older one.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

thats rough. sorry to hear that.

Quick Reply: anyone have info on recent purchase prices?