A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone signing up for the "lawsuit" agaist Audi for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HBarlow
What "law" do you believe was circumvented?
I admire VW for deceiving EPA for some seven years with the TDI in order to sell American consumers the cars we want to drive.
I know it is late, but am I reading this right? This logic (or lack of) is hurting my head...

Wait! Climate change isn't real and dinosaurs are made up? Ok, got it.

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 12-10-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

No I am not an ambulance chaser or plaintiff's lawyer. I do not appreciate the personal insults, whether directed here or to others. You seem to have missed that I even stated I am not a real fan of plaintiffs' lawyer driven legal actions that don't flow benefits through to consumers and others injured. Instead, sure enough the usual political spin comes out. I recognize it from the Q5 board as well, and at the TDI intersection. The board is not a place for political ramblings in my opinion. Start with some of a technical, factual, legal or regulatory understanding of what has been going on the past year, and go from there.

Re-read your latest reply BTW against the whole import of what has been stated throughout the thread. Seems like confusion and sort of preoccupation with the TDI situation. You state: "If VW also played a little loose with emission standards on the gas 3.0 engine I don't blame them." The TDI situation is about emissions and pollutants. The gas 3.0 situation is about fuel economy standards, and only secondarily CO2 emissions that invariably tie to fuel consumption. NOx and the other pollutants in question with TDI are just plain unrelated here. I would suggest you get better up to speed on what the gas situation even involves; lots of other similar feedback I think is coming through in other replies.

Meanwhile, fraud is fraud, and has been under the FTC Act since 1914 and lots of other law before and since then. One can learn that in business school, law school, or even a decent American History class. EPA or not, same result, and fraudsters will continue to get nailed at federal level, state level and by private parties for that matter. Besides that, no polluting the atmosphere with excess levels of crap that hurts people--while engaged in fraud--is not a good thing in the TDI context either, nor achieving better fuel economy by spewing extra NOx. That can be done on gas motors too by defeating EGR--both the better fuel economy and generating more noxious NOx--but has been a no-no since back to the early 70's. And in Germany, the guys with the handcuffs are checking it out as well, and not yet clear how much further U.S. and various state investigations will go. CEO of corporation has been ejected--in Germany--and the casualties continue to mount, way beyond U.S. legal reach in some cases--after trying the Schultz defense that is that didn't even fly out of the gate. Besides all that, frankly I have little doubt Audi and VW will be among the definitive case studies for really poor corporate governance and oversight in business schools for probably decades to come.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-10-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally if I buy something that turns out to be troublesome I accept responsibility for making a bad choice or assign blame to the manufacturer and then repair or replace the item. It the item simply doesn't perform as advertised I'm not very surprised or concerned. That's the way marketing often works.

I just don't think about the use of lawyers and courts to redistribute what belongs to others.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wow, this thread took a wrong turn somewhere. We all have opinions, obviously, but this is what it is, it's possibly cheating if proven, which seems to be the case. I would refrain from insulting people on this thread, they are extremely helpful and fun to chat with. Again, this is just an opinion...
Old 12-11-2016, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

This may be the strangest thread I've ever made the mistake of entering.

I recall reading a post or two on another website that quoted an article about someone claiming to have discovered VW/Audi cheating on gas engines about two months ago. Others ridiculed it and I scanned and dismissed it. I'm not sure now but I thought at the time the focus was emissions deception not fuel economy.

Fast forward to this and I am amazed that a small group of people are outraged about alleged dishonest claims about fuel economy and sincerely discussing a lawsuit against Audi claiming they were defrauded.

As far back as I can recall most consumers basically ignored manufacturers fuel economy claims printed on MSRP decals as optimistic. In my own experience cars simply didn't achieve the highway fuel economy claims but combined mileage claims were closer to accurate in highway driving.

In the case of VW and Audi I've read many owner claims that their cars actually deliver fuel economy better than advertised claims. And some want to sue Audi.

I don't get it.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Can I back up and ask you why you are here on the Audi D4 board--S8's and A8's-- posting on this repeatedly, whatever merit or not aside? Your sig says you own a Q5 TDI, not a 3.0T and not a D4. I don't see any indication of being interested in a D4 either. Sure, free country and all so keep having at it. But why not on the Q5 board where 3.0T's are far more numerous? Feels more like blowback from the TDI situation, even though again one is NOx and other emissions fraud--which VW/Audi have admitted--and the other is estimated MPG gaming.

But for those here in a community of ongoing members who share and try to find informed common ground, yes they probably are concerned if the gas mileage was fraudulently represented. Other owners and prospective buyers are interested in whether there really is a mileage advantage to the 3.0T over the V8's as one would normally think, but may not really be the case at least by the ratings--if not gamed. Whether the ratings represent real world in full or not, folks also use them on a comparative basis, just like they would in thinking of a Q5 2.0T vs. 3.0T in the gas models. On the technical side, superchargers are known as great for avoiding turbo lag, but also as a gas and parasitic power suck. So, if the #'s were cooked, I expect all the more interest in what the data really says.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-11-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Generally if I buy something that turns out to be troublesome I accept responsibility for making a bad choice or assign blame to the manufacturer and then repair or replace the item. It the item simply doesn't perform as advertised I'm not very surprised or concerned. That's the way marketing often works.

I just don't think about the use of lawyers and courts to redistribute what belongs to others.
I fall into this category as well. It wouldn't even occur to me to sue. If the "defect" bothered me that much, I'd just get rid of the car. In this case, it wouldn't bother me at all. On the gas mileage issue, I could care less (who buys a $100k car and then complains about the gas mileage?). On the TDI front, as long as a way is found to "fix" the issue so it would pass an emissions inspection in my state, I'd be a happy camper. If The Man (Tm) simply punished VAG and allowed current owners to skate on the emissions tests that would be fine too.

Best,
Old 12-11-2016, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
No I am not an ambulance chaser or plaintiff's lawyer. I do not appreciate the personal insults, whether directed here or to others. You seem to have missed that I even stated I am not a real fan of plaintiffs' lawyer driven legal actions that don't flow benefits through to consumers and others injured. Instead, sure enough the usual political spin comes out. I recognize it from the Q5 board as well, and at the TDI intersection. The board is not a place for political ramblings in my opinion. Start with some of a technical, factual, legal or regulatory understanding of what has been going on the past year, and go from there.
I will guess that If the courts decide Audi will offer a significant renumeration to 3.0TDI owners, he will be fast to pocket Audi's money. Or, perhaps if the courts decide there will be no award and he discovers the damaged resale value of his Q5 TDI, he will willingly accept responsibility for making a bad purchase decision.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Occasionally, there are threads on forums where the poster is perceived of taking advantage of a situation. To ease their conscious they pander to the audience by essentially saying "isn't it right what I'm doing"? When everyone doesn't agree they act all offended. Moral of the story is that if you aren't prepared for all possible responses then don't start the thread looking for approval.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm impressed. You must be a genuine card carrying ambulance chaser. I can understand why you would fervently believe someone was wronged by Audi being a little tricky with EPA.

I suspect you would have a very hard time proving that VW defrauded anyone because many forum members here report fuel economy greater than VW actually claimed.

Personally, I think the entire case against VWAG is nothing but harassment. I admire VW for deceiving EPA for some seven years with the TDI in order to sell American consumers the cars we want to drive. If VW also played a little loose with emission standards on the gas 3.0 engine I don't blame them. My guess VW is only the first one the government has gone after. Most if not all auto manufacturers have probably been forced to do the same.

I've noticed that BMW and M-B have withdrawn their turbo diesel engines from the US market.

If we allow EPA to continue as they have in recent years we'll all be forced to drive electric golf carts or ride bicycles.

I'm pleased that the new administration reportedly plans to castrate EPA and get rid of many of their excessive regulations.
I am glad you were impressed.

Sorry to see that you feel companies violating U.S. sovereignty, and our laws, is a good thing.

Also, sorry to disappoint you - but I happen to have been lucky enough to go to one of the top 10 best law schools this country has to offer. Neither I (myself), nor anyone else at my firm, has every "ambulance chased".

Here is wishing you happy holidays.

Last edited by polo1; 12-11-2016 at 03:25 PM.