A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APR ECU Re-flash

Old 10-05-2015, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR ECU Re-flash

Has anyone done an APR ECU re-flash? And what are the repercussions, if any, regarding the warranty.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It will flag your ECU permanently and invalidate much of your drivetrain warranty.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
It will flag your ECU permanently and invalidate much of your drivetrain warranty.
You can have it flashed back to the stock code before going in for service, then tune again after the service is complete.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
You can have it flashed back to the stock code before going in for service, then tune again after the service is complete.
You can do that, but even if you do, the computer now has a permanent flag "TD1" that tells the dealership it has been tampered with. Reflashing it back to stock does not remove the flag. Once it is there, there is nothing you can do to hide from Audi that you have tuned your car.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
You can do that, but even if you do, the computer now has a permanent flag "TD1" that tells the dealership it has been tampered with. Reflashing it back to stock does not remove the flag. Once it is there, there is nothing you can do to hide from Audi that you have tuned your car.
No it doesn't, that's not how TD1 works at all.

If you take your car in for service with a modified ECU and your dealer runs a Spec/Actual scan on the car, as many do by default, the dealer's computer will send a notice to Audi that your car has been modified and the car's record will be tagged TD1 which will, unless you're prepared to argue under Magnuson-Moss, void your powertrain warranty.

Having your tuner flash the same code back to your car before your service will allow you to pass a Spec/Actual. This is not the same thing as leaving your car tuned and switching back to "Stock" mode using their dongle or the cruise control stick.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I repeat. Once you have put the tune on your car, it will be flagged, regardless of whether or not you change it back to stock. In the past, you could reflash it to stock and be good to go. Unless someone has recently come up with a new software I haven't heard about to dodge it, the ECU records every time it gets modified. The dealer can see this easily, and it will be flagged.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've got APR tune on my '14 S8. Absolute BEAST btw.
Dealer knows about it and have no problem with the tune whatsoever.
My occasional problem with APR ... engine's hydraulic mounts need to be reset every 5-6 months.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Intampie1
Has anyone done an APR ECU re-flash? And what are the repercussions, if any, regarding the warranty.
If Audi finds it, and they can find it….they will void your warranty when and if they see fit.

If you are going in for non engine, tranny, or power train issues, then I think you are OK, but if you go in for anything else and they detect it, do not think for one moment they will not blame it on the tune and refuse warranty claim.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RM-S8
I've got APR tune on my '14 S8. Absolute BEAST btw.
Dealer knows about it and have no problem with the tune whatsoever.
My occasional problem with APR ... engine's hydraulic mounts need to be reset every 5-6 months.

Its not the dealer that will ultimately decide if your warranty claims will be voided, it's Audi of North America. I'm sure your dealer will help you out and try to claim things a certain manner as to not attract attention to the tune, but you are always taking a risk!
Old 10-12-2015, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by exotich
Its not the dealer that will ultimately decide if your warranty claims will be voided, it's Audi of North America. I'm sure your dealer will help you out and try to claim things a certain manner as to not attract attention to the tune, but you are always taking a risk!
Yeah, but look at the rewards

APR tune - 667 HP, 697 TQ. Unreal.

And you are talking to the guy who drove '08 MB CL600 V12 for 5 years.
AUDI S8 beats them all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: APR ECU Re-flash