A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi 2014 A8 - Top 5 Annoyances

Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 2014 A8 - Top 5 Annoyances

After driving my Audi 2014 A8 for 9 Months, I thought I would pass along my top 5 annoyances:

1) Parking sensor is not always on. Having to press the on switch before pulling into the garage or a parking space is a major pain. Lexus and Mercedes do not require this.

2) Car must be turned on to use garage opener. If you are in the car with key fob, the garage opener should always work even if the car is off. Another major irritant not in other luxury cars.

3) Road noise on concrete interstate roads. Quite loud for a luxury car. In fact, my previous 12 year old Lexus was a little quieter. I don’t understand why this is a problem with the adaptive cancelation technology.

4) Engine fan noise after car is driven in Sport mode and then parked. A loud fan goes for 5 mins or longer even after short periods of driving in Sport mode. The claim is that it is engine temperature based but it occurs even with sub-freezing temperatures and after short periods driving in Sport mode.

5) Sound controls and Album Cover size. The playback options are quite limited with no ability to play by song title in Jukebox or even random songs from various albums on SD card. Feels like something designed in the 90’s. The displayed Album Cover size is just too small. There is plenty of space to show at least a 50% larger cover. Also, after paying an extra $7000 for the Bang & Olufsen sound system, you would expect to have a graphics equalizer instead of just a treble and bass control.

The first two issues irritate me every day I drive the car. There is absolutely no justification for this, no matter what the Marketing and/or Engineers say. It could be easily fixed, even if it is an optional mode enabled in the CAR menu area.

Of course we all know that German engineers do not accept any feedback from users so this is just dust in the wind. The annoyances are not enough to trade in the car just yet but I will not consider buying another Audi with the above issues.

Old Man Mike
Old 12-30-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

30 days into owning my S8 I have to agree wholeheartedly with #1. This is my primary complaint at this point.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My thoughts:

1) Yes, absolutely horrendous. I nearly got a hangnail pressing the button once, and it takes many hours out of my busy day

2) This is to protect the battery

3) It can be especially loud with certain tires.
Surprising to hear the cancellation doesn't help, but that system is designed to keep you from hearing the motor go into CoD eco mode

4) This is the after-run coolant pump engaging the fans - sport mode puts considerably more stress on the engine and transmission at the higher RPM rate.
The vehicle is trying to extend it's life by not shutting down completely while hot - just like you'd never zoom into a parking spot with a turbo vehicle and shut it down.

5) SDS (speech dialog) will let you play by artist or song from the jukebox. Random only seems to work well if all the songs are in the same folder on an SD card.
Unfortunately people feel they should have the latest and best because they are used to swapping cellular telephones on a whim - automotive tech does not change that fast.

Best of luck, and I hope you find a Lexus that better fills your needs.

Last edited by jakematic; 12-30-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typographical error
Old 12-30-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
My thoughts:

1) Yes, absolutely horrendous. I nearly got a hangnail pressing the button once, and it takes many hours out of my busy day

Surprising to hear the cancellation doesn't help, but that system is designed to keep you from hearing the motor go into CoD eco mode

4) This is the after-run coolant pump engaging the fans - sport mode puts considerably more stress on the engine and transmission at the higher RPM rate.
The vehicle is trying to extend it's life by not shutting down completely while hot - just like you'd never zoom into a parking spot with a turbo vehicle and shut it down.

5) SDS (speech dialog) will let you play by artist or song from the jukebox. Random only seems to work well if all the songs are in the same folder on an SD card.
Unfortunately people feel they should have the latest and best because they are used to swapping cellular telephones on a whim - automotive tech does not change that fast.

Best of luck, and I hope you find a Lexus that better fills your needs.
#1---Specifically designed to avoid visual distraction while car is in forward gear. Just press the darn button.

#2---Also designed that way so, if you leave your car outside your home and someone breaks into it, they can't open your garage to gain access to your home.

LMAO on the Lexus comment Jake,,,
Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My thoughts:

You probably got that from using your rotary dial telephone. Who needs that newfangled pushbutton phone.

My thoughts:

Nope. It is pushbutton activated not requiring any significant power, even during the brief period when you push it. In fact, the wireless system which allows the keyless entry by your key fob is running all the time and consumes MUCH more power (but still insignificant)

Originally Posted by derfA8L

#2---Also designed that way so, if you leave your car outside your home and someone breaks into it, they can't open your garage to gain access to your home.
This is the dealer excuse but not at all valid since it could be easily enabled only when the key fob is detected. No key fob, no garage door opening.

My thoughts:

Fundamental issue probably a resonance in the struts or chassis. It's common to blame the tires but they are only the stimulus to a design issue.

More info on this issue here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...noise-2872385/

Old Man Mike
Old 12-30-2014, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by OldManMike
Nope. It is pushbutton activated not requiring any significant power, even during the brief period when you push it. In fact, the wireless system which allows the keyless entry by your key fob is running all the time and consumes MUCH more power (but still insignificant)
It is not pushbutton activated - only the transmission is and HomeLink is powered continuously when the vehicle is on.
A ridiculously low tech system with no diagnostic/comms capability, which is activated by terminal 15.

The kessy system will go to sleep over time.
First it takes a CAN-NAP and eventually will be quiesced by the BMM.
Same as how the touch sensors in the door handles do.
Ultimately one would have to use a mechanical key if enough time passed since the vehicle is protecting itself so that it will start the next time.

Fundamental issue probably a resonance in the struts or chassis. It's common to blame the tires but they are only the stimulus to a design issue.

More info on this issue here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...noise-2872385/

Oh I'm familiar with the rants on that thread.
Complaining here is of no value other than venting a rant or attempting to damage the Audi brand.
Audi does not read these threads and any improvements come in later generations.

The majority of owners come here looking for community, knowledge, input and any work arounds that are available.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is not pushbutton activated - only the transmission is and HomeLink is powered continuously when the vehicle is on.
A ridiculously low tech system with no diagnostic/comms capability, which is activated by terminal 15.
I'll agree with the low tech system comment. However, there is no necessity for continuously powering it. Consider the small remote control unit that comes with a HomeLink garage. Power is only used when the single button is pushed. Audi's choice to require powering up the car before the garage door opener can be used is just a poor one. (I've design RF systems for over 30 years so please don't try to convince me that there is an electrical justification for this choice)

The kessy system will go to sleep over time.
First it takes a CAN-NAP and eventually will be quiesced by the BMM.
Same as how the touch sensors in the door handles do.
Ultimately one would have to use a mechanical key if enough time passed since the vehicle is protecting itself so that it will start the next time.
These are just progressive power savings techniques to extend battery life. It is not pertinent to the issue since we are talking about only activating the garage door opener when the key fob is present.

Oh I'm familiar with the rants on that thread.
Complaining here is of no value other than venting a rant or attempting to damage the Audi brand.
Audi does not read these threads and any improvements come in later generations.

The majority of owners come here looking for community, knowledge, input and any work arounds that are available.
Complaints are of no value? Of course they are. Many buyers browse the forums of cars they are considering. Noted issues may be addressed with the sales staff who are often feeding complaints back to engineering to improve future designs. Business 101.

Old Man Mike
Old 12-31-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll agree with the low tech system comment. However, there is no necessity for continuously powering it.
Then how would it work in your example if it was not continuously powered ?
These aren't single button systems with one function - and the buttons are not power buttons.
In theory you could add a circuit to sense the button press and power it up but why complicate it...

Consider the small remote control unit that comes with a HomeLink garage. Power is only used when the single button is pushed.
A completely different type of system - one that can not recharge itself via an engine/alternator.

What puzzles me since I've heard this complaint once before is, why are people sitting in a shutdown vehicle in a garage ?
Are they really that scared of starting the engine before opening the door, or do they just want Audi to conform to the way others chose to do it ?

Maybe they don't carry an extra transmitter or have a button on the wall...
I carry an extra transmitter as I've seen these craptastical HomeLink devices fail more than once on multiple brands and models.
Primarily it is physical failure, but even mine doesn't work 100% of the time electrically.

Audi's choice to require powering up the car before the garage door opener can be used is just a poor one. (I've design RF systems for over 30 years so please don't try to convince me that there is an electrical justification for this choice)
No systems in the vehicle are powered on before the ignition is engaged other than security and lighting.
It's not a case of Audi doing it wrong, the HomeLink does not work the same way a keychain remote does.

Since you have extensive experience I would suggest contacting engineering at HomeLink and working with Audi to affect a re-design of the transmitter module and a change to the power sequence in the modules.
Perhaps it could be implemented in D5 or D6 and would be the final piece de resistance to steal customers from other brands.

Complaints are of no value? Of course they are. Many buyers browse the forums of cars they are considering. Noted issues may be addressed with the sales staff who are often feeding complaints back to engineering to improve future designs. Business 101.
Ok that was the best laugh I've had in years.
As an engineer in technical sales I can tell you that almost never happens.
Didn't in the dealership I grew up in either.
Next time I'm out back smoking with my Audi sales manager and staff I'll ask them how often this happens... got me curious, but am pretty certain of what the reaction will be...

The reality is they aren't issues at all - with the possible exception of your number 3 - they are perceptions with a tinge of the laziness/entitlement that's crept into society these days.
If potential buyers can't see the forest from the single grass clipping, then perhaps they should buy other brands.
Every vehicle has different designs, and in many cases quirks - anyone could find 'annoyances' with any vehicle by the boatload.
We choose Audi for the differences, not for conformity.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The door button issue can't be that difficult both my Lexus and my Porsche are configured so that I can close the door after I shut the engine off. If you are telling me the Porsche engineers are better than the Audi engineers, then that will likely become a whole new thread.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
both my Lexus and my Porsche are configured so that I can close the door after I shut the engine off.
Same with Audi... until you open the vehicle door.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi 2014 A8 - Top 5 Annoyances