A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I don't know about altering type of sound. Volume is settable from 0-100% via VCDS. The setting under "Exhaust" under Individual settings in MMI gives basic control (Dynamic. Comfort, etc.). Thus my earlier mention of backing it off on trips to get car quieter at margin.

Guys in the VW world like Golf R's have no separate basic screen control AFAIK and often post about backing it off, esp. if they mod. exhaust. Don't recall what the S6/S7 crowd are doing--where more exhaust posts can be found.
Thanks. Very interesting indeed. Your knowledge is astounding!
Old 12-13-2016, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The A8 is my DD. I just hit 35K miles and it is about 52 months old (I only live 6 miles away from work). I have been very lucky with it.

It had an electronic meltdown its first year due to a wiring harness coming loose but thats it. I couldnt belve all the warnings and alrms going off one day on my ride home. ABS Failure, Stop/Start failure, Suspension failure! It was nuts! And what was scary was the Digital MPH was reading 0 on the highway I knew it had to be something simple

Since then it has been perfect. I almost didnt feel like forking up the $2700 for a 5 year warranty through my CU but I figured that I was comitting to the A8 for at least 4-5 more years and I didnt want to risk it, especially in an electronic age

I am a big audiphile guy so i forked up the extra $$$ for the B&O Sound. In fact its what sold me on the A8. I must have great sounding tunes when driving and there is no other factory sound system like B&O on the market (and i wouldnt tear up the car for an after market one to try to match the B&O, not with todays chips and electronic interfaces)

Other cars (other cars than a custom S65 AMG order) did not offer anything like the B&O. You might say i bought a sound system on wheels rather than a car

So far I am happy with the A8 and done see AUDI eclipsing the D4 for awhile but I am sure evntually they will. MERC is coming out with some nice cars but the interiors still dont look like the A8 and no B&O sound system on the mercs. They do claim to have a 33D system but many bugs in it (great in theory but not in practice) . Pretty unhappy merc owners with their upgraded 3D sound system. B&O has been doing sound for decades

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 12-13-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of general mileage do you see in the Seattle area and on long road trips? I live in Gig Harbor area and commute a lot into tacoma and the south sound but stay pretty paltry @ 20.7 mpg daily driving and 25 max highway. I had expected better given the 8 speed tranny
Old 12-16-2016, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GR8-LIFE
The A8 is my DD. I just hit 35K miles and it is about 52 months old (I only live 6 miles away from work). I have been very lucky with it.

It had an electronic meltdown its first year due to a wiring harness coming loose but thats it. I couldnt belve all the warnings and alrms going off one day on my ride home. ABS Failure, Stop/Start failure, Suspension failure! It was nuts! And what was scary was the Digital MPH was reading 0 on the highway I knew it had to be something simple

Since then it has been perfect. I almost didnt feel like forking up the $2700 for a 5 year warranty through my CU but I figured that I was comitting to the A8 for at least 4-5 more years and I didnt want to risk it, especially in an electronic age

I am a big audiphile guy so i forked up the extra $$$ for the B&O Sound. In fact its what sold me on the A8. I must have great sounding tunes when driving and there is no other factory sound system like B&O on the market (and i wouldnt tear up the car for an after market one to try to match the B&O, not with todays chips and electronic interfaces)

Other cars (other cars than a custom S65 AMG order) did not offer anything like the B&O. You might say i bought a sound system on wheels rather than a car

So far I am happy with the A8 and done see AUDI eclipsing the D4 for awhile but I am sure evntually they will. MERC is coming out with some nice cars but the interiors still dont look like the A8 and no B&O sound system on the mercs. They do claim to have a 33D system but many bugs in it (great in theory but not in practice) . Pretty unhappy merc owners with their upgraded 3D sound system. B&O has been doing sound for decades
I have no problem getting around 30mpg on highway. Easily....65-80
Unfortunately had to sell mine yesterday due to illness. Girlfriend bought it, so at least it's still in my garage and I have a key. If I get better shed said she'd sell if I got better, but I'm in final months of not weeks
Old 12-16-2016, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

30mpg easily on highway 65-80 '11A8L 4.2
Old 12-16-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apetriedmd
What kind of general mileage do you see in the Seattle area and on long road trips? I live in Gig Harbor area and commute a lot into tacoma and the south sound but stay pretty paltry @ 20.7 mpg daily driving and 25 max highway. I had expected better given the 8 speed tranny
On long freeway runs, where you can cruise at the speed limit <ahem>, then I'll pretty routinely be in the lower 30s. With the congested urban freeways and the Puget Sound Area's remarkably stupid drivers,* I'd say I'm most often in the lower 20s. Urban driving isn't pretty for gas mileage.

John

*I'm sure pretty much every region of the country has their own version of RSDs. Up here in the NW, drivers appear to be completely baffled by rain. And not just heavy rain after a dry spell, but even if today's rain is different to yesterdays! Given how many rainy days we get here, this is alternately amusing and infuriating, depending on how much of a hurry I'm in.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Garycw
Unfortunately had to sell mine yesterday due to illness. Girlfriend bought it, so at least it's still in my garage and I have a key. If I get better shed said she'd sell if I got better, but I'm in final months of not weeks
Very sorry to hear that...
Old 12-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by polo1
Very sorry to hear that...
I am very sorry and saddened to read this post news also. If ever anything I may do to assist as a local area dentist do not hesitate to ask. I recently overcame cancer treatment myself last year. It's awful
Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks ...md. I hive very late liver cancer wish has went to bones, pelvic etc. it . even fractured two ribs.i told girlfriend/fiancé that item I sold that car it'd be the last thing. It's still the only car I feel comfortable in.