A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi Connect using ATT Sim card

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Funny. That's exactly what AOA told me. Funny thing is I had just bought the car a couple of weeks before as a CPO. It doesn't make much financial sense to spend an extra $20k to get Audi Connect.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a 2016 A8L 4.0T Sport... and the MMI screen has only read 2G so far... there is an Audi SIMM in the slot below the screen.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Your car's MMI was never affected by the 2g/3g fiasco with T-Mobile as it was already fitted with the newest hardware. I suspect that there will be more than a few of us upset with AOA in the next few years. It sounds like some serious belt tightening is going to happen at Audi in order to financially survive the diesel scandal. It actually sounds like they might scrap the D5.
True, but AOA continues to tell me that I cannot use my AT&T Sim. When I tell them I have an AT&T Sim installed and it works fine they tell me I am lying. My issues are with accessing my on-line account. AOA has me locked out because it won't accept my Sim number. Everything works from the car, including Audi Connect.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
True, but AOA continues to tell me that I cannot use my AT&T Sim. When I tell them I have an AT&T Sim installed and it works fine they tell me I am lying. My issues are with accessing my on-line account. AOA has me locked out because it won't accept my Sim number. Everything works from the car, including Audi Connect.
They are just giving you the official story. I'm not sure what else you were expecting. Audi doesn't support AT&T on a 2015 model, even though it technically works. It's the same with every other company. If you use the product outside of what they support, you are on your own. That shouldn't come as a surprise. Where are you trying to create your account? Here? https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi#/ You should only need the VIN to create your myAudi account. If you are trying here https://myaudiconnect.com, then you are in the wrong place. That site is to manage the official T-Mobile or AT&T subscription and you have neither of those.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-20-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
They are just giving you the official story. I'm not sure what else you were expecting. Audi doesn't support AT&T on a 2015 model, even though it technically works. It's the same with every other company. If you use the product outside of what they support, you are on your own. That shouldn't come as a surprise. Where are you trying to create your account? Here? https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi#/ You should only need the VIN to create your myAudi account. If you are trying here https://myaudiconnect.com, then you are in the wrong place. That site is to manage the official T-Mobile or AT&T subscription and you have neither of those.
May all be true, and IMHO it is all BS. It certainly isn't good customer service. When I first bought my car you could enter your AT&T sim # via the Audi Connect web site. That is no longer the case.

Plus, when I was still a new owner (2 months) I talked to AOA about this and was told "You can afford an S8, so you shouldn't complain about opening an T-Mobile account." I asked them to look at the T-Mobil coverage where I am and they agreed there wasn't any. They basically said Go Pound Sand.

And they think I'll buy another Audi? Seriously doubt it.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
May all be true, and IMHO it is all BS. It certainly isn't good customer service. When I first bought my car you could enter your AT&T sim # via the Audi Connect web site. That is no longer the case.

Plus, when I was still a new owner (2 months) I talked to AOA about this and was told "You can afford an S8, so you shouldn't complain about opening an T-Mobile account." I asked them to look at the T-Mobil coverage where I am and they agreed there wasn't any. They basically said Go Pound Sand.

And they think I'll buy another Audi? Seriously doubt it.
You can always sign up for a monthly T-Mobile subscription, then use it to create your myAudi account and then let the subscription lapse. This has worked for others. I had a T-Mobile subscription at the beginning (2013 RS5), but then I got my MMI replaced with a 2015 unit and switched to AT&T with a SIM card from one of my tablets. Later I became eligible for the modem upgrade, which I had the dealer perform and then I switched to an official AT&T subscription. Once the myAudi account is created, it continues to work, although, there are reports coming in now from some folks with third-party SIMs such as US Mobile, that have recently started to experience intermittent issues. Perhaps, Audi is clamping down on unsanctioned subscription, but nothing has been confirmed yet.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, a 2013 A6 with factory modem would definitely only get 2G on AT&T, but 3G on T-Mobile's old network.

The module upgrade was offered for free to 2013 original owners that had active Audi Connect service through T-Mobile at the time T-Mobile upgraded their network in their home market. In my case T-Mobile did the upgrade in September of last year. I got a letter from Audi that offered the free upgrade. Unfortunately, unless you've been offered the upgrade you are currently out of luck. They are short on parts, and so far have no plans to offer the upgrade to other owners even if you are willing to pay for it.

Here's the letter I got:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing
My 2013 A8L has consistently had 3G since new using a T-Mobile sim card. I have received no letters from AoA or T-Mobile but if I understand the issue and discussion, T-Mobile will eventually do an upgrade in my area which will result in my service being downgraded to 2G only. In talking with AoA today, they confirmed my car definitely qualifies for the equipment upgrade as an original owner who has always had Audi Connect with T-Mobile. I assume it would be advisable to do the upgrade even though I do still have 3G at this time. I have absolutely no interest in anything to do with AT&T due to past bad experiences! And T-Mobile has worked quite well overall.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes you should have the upgrade performed before they change their mind. I communicated with AOA before I bought my CPO car, gave them the vin#, and they told me it would be eligible for the upgrade. They changed their mind by the time I bought it, had it delivered, and got it into the dealer (about 3 weeks). Needless to say I was upset.

Last edited by the_duke; 10-24-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Yes you should have the upgrade performed befor they change their mind. I communicated with AOA before I bought my CPO car, gave them the vin#, and they told me it would be eligible for the upgrade. They changed their mind by the time I bought it, had it delivered, and got it into the dealer (about 3 weeks). Needless to say I was upset.
That is what I am hoping to avoid is another mind change. I have to say the young guy that I spoke with at AoA sounded like one of my grandkids! Had to be very young. Surprised that they would renege especially on a CPO vehicle. Beginning to think built in technology may not be the way to go since it is changing so rapidly. Carrying my little hotspot and iPhone in my SUV works just fine including navigation. And when my wife wants massage, I just put the right wheels on the rumble strips!