A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUDI newbie pre sale questions - Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all. All will be considered. I appreciate the help
Old 10-24-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting, I need a new car already in about a year or so. too many miles. I really want to like the panamera but for me it was difficult to see out the back window. my next car will be a panamera (big maybe) or the latest 750 series BMW when the prices drop down under $60k. THEN in about 3 years, I want to see what the new A8 looks like and is priced at used. Can't switch from a 2013 A8 to a 2015 or 2016 A8, just dont' want the same car I have now but newer.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got my recall notice on 2011 4.2. Not sure how far that goes , but if I was trading up, I'd get the 4.0T
Old 10-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by frybear
Interesting, I need a new car already in about a year or so. too many miles. I really want to like the panamera but for me it was difficult to see out the back window. my next car will be a panamera (big maybe) or the latest 750 series BMW when the prices drop down under $60k. THEN in about 3 years, I want to see what the new A8 looks like and is priced at used. Can't switch from a 2013 A8 to a 2015 or 2016 A8, just dont' want the same car I have now but newer.
Hey, I have a 2010 Panamera Turbo LOADED with ALL ($165K) sticker and I want about $58K. So thats already below 60K on the fastest Panny.
BTW, I never look back through the back window. I always pass everybody so no need for rear window . Its not so bad. You get used to it. It also feels very far like in a suburban. You got a camera if you need to back up but I drive CDL so I use side mirrors for everything.
I used to be a BMW 7 series fan but that ended with 2008 model. Anything newer has lots of issues. I love BMWs but BMW guys complaint that new ones 2009 -2015 are very plastic-y, small trunk, no storage, check engine all the time, Turbos have issues around 25K, etc. And 2016-17 7-series is so far behind everything else that its not worth a panny to spend on it.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had mine 2011 4.2L for a month with all options except: executive backseat package and panoramic sunroof (one for the backseats). I tried to use night vision thingy, but while it does detect people on the sidewalks or in front of the car when I don't notice them because of the glare of incoming cars, I find it very distracting, it's almost like video game. I noticed that I look at it like a deer onto oncoming traffic and found it to be distracting. So if I had a choice of not paying for it, I wouldn't.

Second thing, I'd probably be pretty happy with Bose audio instead of B&O. Perhaps it does sound little better, but practically I just download mp3 to the memory card, and usually those mp3s are not even 320kbs, so quality would not be noticeable imho, especially since this option alone was 6k. I'd rather spend this money on better rims or a spoiler/tint/something like that.

Massage seats are great option for sure! I'm sitting down all day behind computer, so I'm looking forward to get off work and turn it on!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

The most bothersome thing I can think of is tranny. If not coming to complete stop or in sport that helps, you get that jerk( like a slip). Very annoying and sometimes embarrassing. Other than that no complaints
Old 10-26-2016, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Garycw
The most bothersome thing I can think of is tranny. If not coming to complete stop or in sport that helps, you get that jerk( like a slip). Very annoying and sometimes embarrassing. Other than that no complaints
The number one most annoying thing in the car. I learned to drive to avoid it, mostly, but sometimes it's hard to miss. The old 6-speed was a smoother transmission, at the cost of performance and efficiency.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't noticed the transmission problems you mention. Maybe it's only a 4.2 issue? While all engines use the same trans I'm sure the programming for each is different.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

For folks w/ the tranny issues on stopping, you may want to get it looked at. Does not sound normal.

Or if you have VCDS, first step may be easy. Look into adapting the tranny--that is, resetting the adaptive learning so it can start over on learning your driving approach. Mine works perfectly as I would expect so I have not looked into it. The resetting part is typically easy--just clicking a few things in VCDS. On the D3 w/ 6 speed there was a very specific routine you then followed for first drive that took 20-30 minutes on a very quiet road to implement. Or, just reset it the first time and drive as normal (just like a new car coming off the line...) and then if it is still sub par, look into the driving adaptation routine.

Other obvious one might be a fluid check. When fluid level is somewhat off, odd shifting can happen. If it is low, then need to start looking for leaks; it doesn't just evaporate.

There are deeper things too, but those are the easiest. If under warranty, of course try to get dealer do the same if they get there is an issue and you/they can replicate it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-26-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the dealer look at it several times and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I saw no signs of any leak whatsoever, and over 30k miles it behaved exactly the same under the same very specific circumstances(accelerating from less than 15mph but not a complete stop immediately after braking from a higher speed.) Readapting it a couple times and an eventual TCU update fixed nothing. I don't think it was something broken, I think it was a small fault in the design later fixed quietly, but that's just my guess.

Last edited by Jack88; 10-26-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: AUDI newbie pre sale questions - Thanks