A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi S8 vs. BMW M6 Gran Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi S8 vs. BMW M6 Gran Sport

Anyone with an S8 considering an M6 Gran Sport? My '16 S8's lease is up in July so I need to decide what's next. Since I've had two S8's in a row and the D5 isn't going to appear for some time, I thought I'd try something different. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Gran Sport or the new Porsche Panamera. The Gran Sport would have an MSRP of about $138,000 with full leather and the Competition Package (which boosts the HP from 560 to 600), the Executive Package, and the Driver Assistance Package so just about the same as a fully loaded S8 Plus. I drove one last weekend and the car is a beast, but seems a little more compact than my S8--feels more "cockpit" like in the driver's seat. Also not as much rear seat room but that's not a big factor for me. If I went with the turbo Panamera it would be more like $160,000 comparatively optioned, so that's a consideration. I haven't yet seen, much less driven, the Porsche because no dealers here have them yet.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HouTexAudi
Anyone with an S8 considering an M6 Gran Sport? My '16 S8's lease is up in July so I need to decide what's next. Since I've had two S8's in a row and the D5 isn't going to appear for some time, I thought I'd try something different. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Gran Sport or the new Porsche Panamera. The Gran Sport would have an MSRP of about $138,000 with full leather and the Competition Package (which boosts the HP from 560 to 600), the Executive Package, and the Driver Assistance Package so just about the same as a fully loaded S8 Plus. I drove one last weekend and the car is a beast, but seems a little more compact than my S8--feels more "cockpit" like in the driver's seat. Also not as much rear seat room but that's not a big factor for me. If I went with the turbo Panamera it would be more like $160,000 comparatively optioned, so that's a consideration. I haven't yet seen, much less driven, the Porsche because no dealers here have them yet.
Did you consider the new B7?
Even the B6 would be my choice over M6, 600hp, more refined suspension and AWD (that last one more important for me rather then you in Texas).
Old 01-14-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

HouTex, I can't help with an M6 opinion, but maybe some help with the Panamera. I test drove a 2013 Panamera GTS and I really liked most things about it. In particular, on back roads and with sport chrono in sport mode it was fabulous; the PDK transmission would downshift multiple gears while rev matching and the sound from the sports exhaust was amazing. From pictures, the new version seems much improved, and I thought the NA V8 in the car I drove was a beast, so I can't even imagine the turbo version of the new one.

If I may, I would like to ask you a few questions about your 2016 S8 because I may be on the lookout for one in the not to distant future.

I notice in the brochure for the 2016 model S8 that it does not come with the start--stop system whereas the normal 4.0t does have the feature. Is this correct or a miss print?

How do you feel about the cylinder on demand feature? Does it come in to play at all if you are in "sport" mode?

Does your car suffer from the throttle lag issue that seemed to plague earlier D4s? I haven't seen much mention of this lately, so maybe it has been sorted out.

And I guess the real question is, how do you like it!

Thanks in advance, Mike
Old 01-14-2017, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the A8L 4.0T better than the 2013 Panamera Turbo... probably because of the low end torque. 2013 is within the first generation for Panamera as well, and it feels like it. The new Panamera looks to be a different story, but I have not driven one.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
HouTex, I can't help with an M6 opinion, but maybe some help with the Panamera. I test drove a 2013 Panamera GTS and I really liked most things about it. In particular, on back roads and with sport chrono in sport mode it was fabulous; the PDK transmission would downshift multiple gears while rev matching and the sound from the sports exhaust was amazing. From pictures, the new version seems much improved, and I thought the NA V8 in the car I drove was a beast, so I can't even imagine the turbo version of the new one.

If I may, I would like to ask you a few questions about your 2016 S8 because I may be on the lookout for one in the not to distant future.

I notice in the brochure for the 2016 model S8 that it does not come with the start--stop system whereas the normal 4.0t does have the feature. Is this correct or a miss print?

How do you feel about the cylinder on demand feature? Does it come in to play at all if you are in "sport" mode?

Does your car suffer from the throttle lag issue that seemed to plague earlier D4s? I haven't seen much mention of this lately, so maybe it has been sorted out.

Thanks in advance, Mike
I just, as in yesterday, got a 2016 s8 plus. It does not have the start stop system. You can see my initial opinions in a recently posted thread. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike911A8

Thanks in advance, Mike
My S8 does not have the start/stop feature. The cylinder deactivation feature is so seamless that I cannot tell if it is happening. There is zero throttle lag like there was on my previous '13 A8L--not sure why this is since the drivetrain is basically the same. I love my S8, just want something different.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by absent
Did you consider the new B7?
Even the B6 would be my choice over M6, 600hp, more refined suspension and AWD (that last one more important for me rather then you in Texas).
I don't really like the look of the 7 series and also don't want or need a long wheelbase car. I do need to look into the B6 though as I do like AWD--that is something that I'm a little disappointed with the M6, but I didn't know that the B6 had this.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Btw, Panamera Turbo S Hybrid is being introduced in Geneva with US deliveries in October 2017.
Confirmed 686HP and max torque at idle, base MSRP for Executive model $192k, $184k for short wheel base.
Pricey but one of a kind with no real competition.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by absent
Btw, Panamera Turbo S Hybrid is being introduced in Geneva with US deliveries in October 2017.
Confirmed 686HP and max torque at idle, base MSRP for Executive model $192k, $184k for short wheel base.
Pricey but one of a kind with no real competition.
Makes me want to consider bank robbery! It's a much better looking car than the one it replaces, and allegedly improves on the already great dynamics it had.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just converted to Audi from BMW.
I've had 5 BMW's over the last 15 years and they have gotten progressively worse in build quality. My last 2 (a B7 and an "Individual" 6 series have been pitiful. The B7 was an awesome car when I was able to drive it and not the loaner from the dealer. BMW service in Houston is awful, the techs are hammer swingers at best.
BMW wouldn't even step up to a cracked / broken rear wheel at 17k miles.
I sure hope that this S8 turns out to be a decent car as I hope that I never have to own a BMW again.

Quick Reply: Audi S8 vs. BMW M6 Gran Sport