A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audiophile -- Looking to add subwoofer to B&O | 2015 A8

Old 07-18-2015, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audiophile -- Looking to add subwoofer to B&O | 2015 A8

Hello Audi Fans,

I have had my 2015 Audi A8 since Oct. I am really enjoying the car. I was even able to hit 44mpg on a longer journey (TDI).

I am asking if anyone has done a DIY to add a sub to a B&O system. I spent 6K on the system but it still does not get the bass I appreciated in the MBZ S550. The mid and tweets are sufficient, I would just like to get a bit more thump.

The other important question is will this void any warranty on my car. I would like to install the sub in the least intrusive way.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. BTW when I was younger I built did my own install of 4 X 12" isobaric subs in the back of my Honda . Therefore I can work my ways around wires.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

"...will this void any warranty on my car...BTW when I was younger I built did my own install of 4 X 12" isobaric subs in the back of my Honda . Therefore I can work my ways around wires."

IMO, if AoA can find a way to void the warranty you bet they will---Changing the configuration of the factory installed B&O setup gives them an open door.

As for your previous experience with working your way around the wiring on a Honda, all I can say is tread carefully around the wiring on a D4 A8...A totally different animal. I will admit that I have absolutely no experience with adding additional audio components to an A8, but I would first discuss this with your dealer's service manager--on both counts--before attempting any modification of the B&O on your car. I will say this, if you are leasing...forget it.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be an obstructionist, but Derf makes a very good point.

Have you heard about a CAN-bus system?

Lemme tell you a little story about that.

I had an ex who was experiencing some very bad high pitched sounds from her Jeep Cherokee. Now me being, much like you, having much experience with car stereo and stereo installs, thought I can tackle this job nooooo problem.

Just pull out the stereo put a new bad **** in and why not throw in a sub for good measure, right?

As it turns out, the stereo is an INTEGRAL part of the car itself. Once the stock system was disconnected the car wouldn't even turn on. Yikes.

Well, to make a long story short, I took alot of twists and turns, including going to pro stereo install shops, I was finally able to make a "stand alone" system that worked, OK.

I learned that CAN-bus systems are a pain in the butte for making additions to.

My B and O system in my 2015 S8 is a thing of absolute beauty. The way the sound "moves" around me and around the cabin is nothing short of spectacular. And yes, it could also use a little more bass.

All that being said, there might be a stupid little RCA sub out sitting right in the back and hooking up a sub maybe the easiest thing ever. I certainly don't know.

If I was a betting man, I bet that the B&O system is a tangle of wires with inputs and outputs that play off each other which makes splicing into it, VERY difficult.

So come on, prove us wrong! Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks both for you opinions. I think as soon as deafA8L said it would/could void the warranty, the decision was made.

I think I will leave it alone until the extended warranty expires.

BTW Ravill I have done the similar thing on a minivan with Navi and it did not go well. Thanks for the input. I will close off the topic.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a guy who did exactly that in his B and O S4.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...d-diy-2822346/