A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&O Speaker blown or parcel shelf rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone into the hidden menu and though you can move the volume higher than 34, it won't let you save it above 34, which must be a level you can't override. I wanted to increase the volume output through the hidden menu but it wouldn't take. At least not for me.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

UPDATE:
So I couldn't take the poor sounding rattle anymore and finally swung by the dealer yesterday, Audi revised their policy and replacing audio equipment in their CPO warranties. The have revised the policy to include warranty repairs to sub-woofers etc.

Ironically back in March when I made this original posting they made revision to their policy. Coincidence? I'm not sure, but I'm getting my speaker replaced under CPO warranty and am very happy about it! Horayyyyyyy!

My B&O will sound like it should again!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Mike

Congratulations on getting Audi to make the repair.

Just out of curiosity, what is the damage that is causing the repair? You say the speaker is rattling..... is it vibrating and causing the rattle or is the surround damaged or is the driver itself?

It would be interesting to look at the old speaker when they get it out to see what the actual damage was.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Mike

Congratulations on getting Audi to make the repair.

Just out of curiosity, what is the damage that is causing the repair? You say the speaker is rattling..... is it vibrating and causing the rattle or is the surround damaged or is the driver itself?

It would be interesting to look at the old speaker when they get it out to see what the actual damage was.
Mike,
Dealer said the speaker/driver is toast and rattling. It just continued to deteriorate over time. Can't turn the base and volume up at all anymore. I don't understand why it went in the first place. Hoping the new speaker lasts the remainder of the cars life. CPO is up this Dec. Going to have the dealer pull all the plugs on the valves to make sure all the seals and valves are good before the CPO expiring too so wire harness does not cause a problem just down the road.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Speaker rattles are usually caused by loose tinsel leads, or a torn spider.

A loose tinsel wire will vibrate against the back of the speaker cone and cause a buzzing noise. Sometimes you can DIY fix it with a little rubber cement.

Torn spider requires a speaker repair. Audi is never going to repair a speaker, so replacement is the only option there.

While you have the rear deck taken apart for the install, you might as well stick some closed-cell foam in between the deck cover and the metal. That way you don't get any rattles from the trim panel against the metal.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
I wouldn't take my A8 to a stereo shop. You would probably have better luck with a independent Audi specific mechanic. Most stereo shops have never seen an A8.

A good stereo shop will have someone better qualified to disassemble one of these cars than an Audi dealership or indy shop.

Audi techs don't know as much about these cars as we might like to think.

I trust my installer Russ with my car before any Audi dealer.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
UPDATE:
So I couldn't take the poor sounding rattle anymore and finally swung by the dealer yesterday, Audi revised their policy and replacing audio equipment in their CPO warranties. The have revised the policy to include warranty repairs to sub-woofers etc.

Ironically back in March when I made this original posting they made revision to their policy. Coincidence? I'm not sure, but I'm getting my speaker replaced under CPO warranty and am very happy about it! Horayyyyyyy!

My B&O will sound like it should again!
Wow, that is great news! Is there any way you can get something from your dealer where it says that Audi did indeed revise their CPO policy regarding audio equipment? That would be great if you could and post it here. I am happy for you and glad Audi is stepping up and covering what they should.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by pcc125
Wow, that is great news!
+1

Originally Posted by pcc125
Is there any way you can get something from your dealer where it says that Audi did indeed revise their CPO policy regarding audio equipment? That would be great if you could and post it here. I am happy for you and glad Audi is stepping up and covering what they should.
So since I bought my 2015 CPO S8 in March I was motivated to look this up.

See CPO terms and conditions via this link:https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...et-3.29.16.pdf

P. 5. Specific language of what is now covered includes:

"Radio and Navigation - Navigation components, sound system components, including radios, compact disc and DVD players, speakers, and subwoofer."

Or pdf of it attached here too in case Audi USA web site changes. Doc't date is 3/29/2016.

Plugs what seemed like the biggest issues in CPO. Not just the subwoofer. On my 2013 Q5 with essentially the identical Nav system to the more recent Audi Connect type D4 system, the hard drive blew up. In like one second I heard the head crash just sitting at a stop light near end of long trip, and it was lights out. All 40 or 60gig of it from like circa 1999. Surprised Audi can even buy a drive like that other than from scrap heaps or ancient iPods pre flash. That editorial aside, nope you can't replace just the $40 obsolete drive. Try the whole Nav unit, over $3,000 just for the part let alone labor. New car warranty covered of course, but scary. I can guess a repair service will pop up for these in due course like it has for things like center displays, ABS control units and the like, but I haven't heard of any so far. Good to know CPO will give me more time on these black box sort of pricy elements.
Attached Files

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-10-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Mike.....

What was the outcome?

We can only assume it's fixed but we need ALL the details :-)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Mike.....

What was the outcome?

We can only assume it's fixed but we need ALL the details :-)
Mike,
Sub-woofer speaker was replaced and life is good again! Rattle is all gone and can smile now, all done under CPO warranty!

Quick Reply: B&O Speaker blown or parcel shelf rattle?