A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&O Speakers blown/rattle, replace with aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You have been posting on B&O a lot with the same general disappointed themes. But given the other discussion here, let me double back on specifics. I asked you previously exactly what source/bit rate you are using on one of your earlier B&O reports, but don't remember seeing a response. If not using CD directly, was an original source store bought CD used to record your copy, or what source itself a copy? Your compression algorithm? Bit rate? Are you sure when you transferred it to a device you didn't compress it further if device didn't have enough capacity? And if you are following nuances BTW, you don't have to be on MP3 either for Audi's system.

Or, very simple path, have you just put an original CD of choice--let alone a demanding one--into the drive slot in the car and tried that material directly?
My only sources to date have been cds, I have hundreds and satellite radio. I am an audiophile but certainly not an over the top one, appreciate all kinds of well done systems within their limits. I have had very good after market sound systems in my cars but more recently have lived with the integrated OEM systems that are so integrated into car functions. My 2011 Mercedes e has a Harmon Kardon that is ok, not dynamic but pleasant sounding, open sounding in mids ok in treble with decent bass that doesn't have great impact. It sounds good enough at a variety of volumes but won't play too loud. I prefer that to the B&O that will play way louder but lacking in midrange detail and transient response. Not sure how anyone can look at the front door speaker grills and say that's good for sound, it's just not. I don't buy the concept of "magic lenses", I believe in muting the sound, that's what I hear. If you enjoy sound at 95db, it's probably not a bad system, but that's not me. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
My only sources to date have been cds, I have hundreds and satellite radio. I am an audiophile but certainly not an over the top one, appreciate all kinds of well done systems within their limits. I have had very good after market sound systems in my cars but more recently have lived with the integrated OEM systems that are so integrated into car functions. My 2011 Mercedes e has a Harmon Kardon that is ok, not dynamic but pleasant sounding, open sounding in mids ok in treble with decent bass that doesn't have great impact. It sounds good enough at a variety of volumes but won't play too loud. I prefer that to the B&O that will play way louder but lacking in midrange detail and transient response. Not sure how anyone can look at the front door speaker grills and say that's good for sound, it's just not. I don't buy the concept of "magic lenses", I believe in muting the sound, that's what I hear. If you enjoy sound at 95db, it's probably not a bad system, but that's not me. Regards. Ned.
OK, all fine, but get down to brass tacks that I just can't seem to draw out in these posts.

Tweaking the questions just slightly adjusted to what I can glean here:
1. Are you sticking the original CD in the slot and reviewing that performance, or using a player, cabled or otherwise? I think we both agree just disqualify SAT radio for highest quality, even if I listen to it a fair amount casually too and to spot new artists or albums I may be interested in.

2. If using a player, what are:
a. the compression algorithm,
b. bit rate on the source dub, and then
c. bit rate/any further compression on the transfer over to the device?
If these are not optimized at least beyond common audible levels, you are doing the equivalent of heating pizza in the microwave and expecting gourmet. Or putting in like 85 octane and expecting full rated + HP.

As an aside, per the other replies, have you tried changing the surround sound stage setting--if you are using it? That is, Driver, Front, Rear, All. Seems to affect the EQ differentially, at least to my ears. As or more obvious at moderate volumes, not pushed way up. Not a cure all, but another tool (combined w/ revised fader setting) beyond the minimal bass and treble settings.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-16-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK, all fine, but get down to brass tacks that I just can't seem to draw out in these posts.

Reverting the questions adjusted to what I can glean here:
1. Are you sticking the original CD in the slot and reviewing that performance, or using a player, cabled or otherwise?
2. If using a player, what are:
a. the compression algorithm,
b. bit rate on the source dub, and then
c. bit rate/any compression on the transfer over to the device?
If these are not optimized at least beyond common audible levels, you are doing the equivalent of heating pizza in the microwave and expecting gourmet. Or putting in like 85 octane and expecting 520/605HP.

As an aside, per the other replies, have you tried changing the surround sound stage setting--if you are using it? That is, Driver, Front, Rear, All. Seems to affect the EQ differentially, at least to my ears. As or more obvious at moderate volumes, not pushed way up.
I play the cds in the s8 CD player, why would I do otherwise? I have played with all the audio settings and that doesn't change my overall assessment of the system. A system of this cost should sound great flat, with a bit of tuning to personal taste. I do think much of the problem is the door speaker grills, they are not too far from pieces of plywood in front of speaker drivers, not ideal. The sound is missing the inner detail you hear in the midrange and the midrange provides the transient detail for the bass, hence muddy bass without detail. The sound is just not "open", kind of closed down, you hear low bass and treble when you crank it up but the mids remain recessed. We may differ on this, but it's what I hear. Of course I could be wrong in blaming the grills, there could be other problems as well. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
I play the cds in the s8 CD player, why would I do otherwise? I have played with all the audio settings and that doesn't change my overall assessment of the system. A system of this cost should sound great flat, with a bit of tuning to personal taste. I do think much of the problem is the door speaker grills, they are not too far from pieces of plywood in front of speaker drivers, not ideal. The sound is missing the inner detail you hear in the midrange and the midrange provides the transient detail for the bass, hence muddy bass without detail. The sound is just not "open", kind of closed down, you hear low bass and treble when you crank it up but the mids remain recessed. We may differ on this, but it's what I hear. Of course I could be wrong in blaming the grills, there could be other problems as well. Regards. Ned.
I ask because most owners these days seem to either use players cabled, or increasingly bluetoothed in for even more challenges--and then lesser UI. With players involved the music can then be copied bootleg, many generations old, or who knows what. Thus, part of completing the picture of possible user specific areas to consider. CD player is probably going buggy whip like it has with PC's and laptops. Still functional and then first generation version + directly on optical ring of course.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-16-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I ask because most owners these days seem to either use players cabled, or increasingly bluetoothed in for even more challenges--and then lesser UI. With players involved the music can then be copied bootleg, many generations old, or who knows what. Thus, part of completing the picture of possible user specific areas to consider. CD player is probably going buggy whip like it has with PC's and laptops. Still functional and then first generation version + directly on optical ring of course.
The new e class that I had on order before buying the s8 didn't even have a CD player. Too bad, a lot of people have large cd collections, especially in their demographic, but I understand. Sometimes it hard to say exactly why a sound system doesn't sound good without measuring equipment or even with. As a big music fan and audio buff for 45 years I know when a sound system with a well recorded and produced recording that I've heard a thousand times just sounds right, hits the spot, makes my spine tingle. Don't get that at all from the B&O, it can just play loud, that's its only real attribute, too bad. If the car was a cpo that I paid $75,000 for, I might be more inclined to try and improve it, but just enjoying the great super car that my s8 is for now, don't have the energy yet to try and find a qualified car audio guy, they're a dying breed anyway, nor do I want my car defiled in any way. The stereo only has 40 hours or so on it so I'm hoping for further improvement but am reasonably sure it will never quite get there. Regards. Ned.