A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang & Olufsen vs stock Bose.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewmr
I wonder what home systems people have that they are contemplating a B&O system in their car?

Anyone care to share?

I'll start:

Living room is vintage Sony ES - Boston towers.
Office is Adcom - Mirage satellites and sub.
Den is Yamaha - Focal.
Garage is Onkyo - Vanderstein.
Living room I have 3 Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-50 for fronts and a center, 2 Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-20BP for rears, and a Definitive Technology Supercube 6000 for a sub.

For my home theater I have 2 Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL fronts, Martin Logan Motif X for the center, 2 Martin Logan ElectroMotion FX2 for the rears, 4 JBL SP6CSII for the ceiling, and a Martin Logan Depth i sub.

Yes sound is big for me lol. It add so much enjoyment to a movie.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

triniexr, very nice stuff! It's interesting that you appear to have spent more on your home theater sound than for your living room sound. I would do the same, but only because I care little for music but like a rocking home theater... :-)
Old 01-15-2016, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikey94025
triniexr, very nice stuff! It's interesting that you appear to have spent more on your home theater sound than for your living room sound. I would do the same, but only because I care little for music but like a rocking home theater... :-)
I did because the living room is for TV, our providers can't even display in 1080P, we get 1080i so I didn't see the point of going all out for the living room. The Definitive Technology system is all wall mounted speakers and they sound very nice.

All movies are seen on the home theater. I have an Epson 5030UB projector with a 92" screen. The amp I am running the Martin Logan's off of is a Marantz Sr7008 which is a 9.2. I set the ceiling speakers are rear wide and front wide. With doing this you can actually hear as if a helicopter is taking off above your head or if something passes by in a movie you hear it as it passes from front to back or vice versa.

I'm not into music really, all the new generation stuff I hate. Seems like people are running out of ideas to sing about or are just getting lazy and slapping things together to make a quick dollar.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I guess this is the definitive thread on the Bose Versus the B&O system at a robust 13 pages and has raged on for 5 years now. It is pretty amazing that the opinions totally run the gamut still after all these years, some still of the belief that it is absolutely great and one long review a few pages back ripping it apart. Many fall in the middle saying it is pretty good but maybe not worth the money. Many are of the opinion that the B&O only makes sense if you are using higher resolution sources as opposed to xm radio's compressed files. Obviously if you've been reading some recent threads on the topic you know where I stand, that the system is reasonably flawed, certainly a terrible value proposition for the money. Not sure how Audi sleeps at night charging $6,000 for the "upgrade", which when added to the price of the Bose system you're not getting is one hell of a piece of change. And they've been offering this system for how long? They should have long ago offered a much better upgrade option, for that money it should be truely spectacular, especially in a car as quiet as the a8/s8. Regards. Ned.
The following users liked this post:
chokboywonda (12-11-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You aren’t going to find much better than the Bang&Olufsen. Focal won’t compete. There isn’t much low end because it is designed with a flat sound curve as a reference system. Get the Bose as a more fun a thumpy system but go for Bang&Olufsen if you are looking for detailed high end listening.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:20 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 485 Likes on 386 Posts

Necrothread