Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-Present Audi S8 produced from 2012-

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 288104

Default Been looking at a D3, now looking at a D4... anything I should know?

Found one with about 80K miles. All service and maintenance was done at an Audi dealer. Car is priced in the mid 30's.

Is there anything I should look out for in these 2011 A8s?
needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:27 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 208615

2011 doesn't have Audi Connect.

Other than that, not much that we've heard of - it's pretty quiet around here
I expect the second and third owners will discover the issues, much like the D3s.

jakematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:48 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 11928

My 2011 with under 29K miles has been virtually trouble free (knocking on wood right now). Only major issue was replacement of driver's seat floor frame/assembly and a realignment of ACC camera sensors. Otherwise the car has been absolutely terrific. I can only hope the 2015 I have on order will be as good. If you can hold off for about 2 and a half months until late October, my 2011 will be available as a lease turn-in that my Long Island area dealer will likely be buying back from AFS when my new A8 arrives :-)

derfA8L

2015 A8L 4.0T (production week 10/20/14...Delivered on 11/21/14) Panther Black Crystal Effect/Black Interior/Black Alcantara/Poplar Brown-Silver Inlays
Premium, Luxury, Sport, Driver Assistance, Cold Weather, Rear Seat Comfort, Panoramic Sunroof, Night Vision

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-08-2014 at 04:53 AM.
derfA8L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:58 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 18362

Did you examine the records to see if the car had any nagging unresolved problems? I'd look at its service history.
2001 A6 4.2 (former)
scottphillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member

Is it safe to assume that a vehicle with the paddle shifters has the "driver convenience package" and thus the other options included in said package? Such as the adaptive cruise, blind spot awareness, etc?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member

In addition to my previous question, why do some of these D4's have lower fog lamps and some do not? I looked at the sales brochure and I can't seem to find an answer. I see some A8's with LED headlights that have lower lamps and some that do not, so that doesn't appear to be the issue...
Old 08-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by needles View Post
In addition to my previous question, why do some of these D4's have lower fog lamps and some do not? I looked at the sales brochure and I can't seem to find an answer. I see some A8's with LED headlights that have lower lamps and some that do not, so that doesn't appear to be the issue...
Those aren't fog lights. They are the radar camera/sensors used for the ACC. Cars without them don't have ACC. The closest thing to a front fog light on the D4 with LEDs is a bad weather/rain light as part of the headlamp assembly---can be used as a fog lamp, but it's really intended to illuminate the road ahead for 1) improved side vision and 2) reduces night glare on wet roadway when it's raining. It doubles as side turn cornering lamp when not manually activated as a bad weather light when headlamp switch is in AUTO position.

derfA8L

2015 A8L 4.0T (production week 10/20/14...Delivered on 11/21/14) Panther Black Crystal Effect/Black Interior/Black Alcantara/Poplar Brown-Silver Inlays
Premium, Luxury, Sport, Driver Assistance, Cold Weather, Rear Seat Comfort, Panoramic Sunroof, Night Vision
Old 08-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Is it safe to assume that a vehicle with the paddle shifters has the "driver convenience package" and thus the other options included in said package? Such as the adaptive cruise, blind spot awareness, etc?
For 2011 MY it was labeled as Driver Assist package. And yes it included ACC, side blind-spot monitoring and lane departure warning. I don't recall specifically, but I think paddle shifters were included in the Premium Package, but someone here can correct me if my recollection is inaccurate.

derfA8L

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-08-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
AudiWorld Member

So if it has the "fog lights" which are not fog lights, is that an external visual cue that ACC is installed? Trying to look at low-res photos of cruise control stalks is a bit of a pain.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
So if it has the "fog lights" which are not fog lights, is that an external visual cue that ACC is installed? Trying to look at low-res photos of cruise control stalks is a bit of a pain.
Simply put: Yes.

derfA8L

Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement