A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black or White A8 and Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Black or White A8 and Which One?

Ya,i know, I've kind of passed on the A8 for now but it still a great car and am always up for conversation. So for those who picked white or black, I am curious which one you chose

Yesterday I found out IBIS white is available but the AUDI site still only has Glacier white when Building the A8, which, IMO doesnt look as nice. AUDI Really needs to do better at getting these changes up to date. It took them a awhile to get the 2012 A8 Build software up there

Anyway, I thought that the IBIS white with the front black grille makes for a sweet contrast (coolest contrast I have seen so far is a white R8 SPYDER with the black rear!) I also think the red rear lights on an IBIS are a nice contrast and make the car look nice form the rear

Black is alway the elegance color, when its kept clean!!! But there are 3 blacks. Phantom and Havana look nice. The other black seems to have some green in it. Brochures are tough to use for decisions

So between the blacks and the whites, which one did you choose and why?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Oye Vey!!! Stop kicking the tires, and just get the damn A8 already! You know you want it...LOL :-))

Actually saw a Phantom Black D4 LWB as well as a white D4 LWB yesterday. Viewed the white one from the rear/rear passenger side as it was making a turn. I will say, white is quite striking on the D4, with a huge presence---however, upon reflection, IMO white on such a large car made it look boxier then the D4 appears in darker colors.

I have the Havanna Black, and while I like it for the most part, there are times I wish I had ordered Phantom Black. Had Phantom on my last D3 A8L, and I think the color looks much better on the D4's more angular body. Havanna just shows off so much brown tone in sunlight---and like with white, there is just too much real estate on the D4 for that much brown pigment in the paint. A side note, I think Havanna looks better on the smaller A7 and A6 bodies. In the end, Phantom seems to sparkle just a bit more, and I prefer the bluish hues it projects in sunlight versus Havanna's brown appearance---again, especially on such a large car. If they had toned down the brown pigment somewhat, then I'd probably like Havanna Black much more. Just my opinion.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Oye Vey!!! Stop kicking the tires, and just get the damn A8 already! You know you want it...LOL :-))

Actually saw a Phantom Black D4 LWB as well as a white D4 LWB yesterday. Viewed the white one from the rear/rear passenger side as it was making a turn. I will say, white is quite striking on the D4, with a huge presence---however, upon reflection, IMO white on such a large car made it look boxier then the D4 appears in darker colors.

I have the Havanna Black, and while I like it for the most part, there are times I wish I had ordered Phantom Black. Had Phantom on my last D3 A8L, and I think the color looks much better on the D4's more angular body. Havanna just shows off so much brown tone in sunlight---and like with white, there is just too much real estate on the D4 for that much brown pigment in the paint. A side note, I think Havanna looks better on the smaller A7 and A6 bodies. In the end, Phantom seems to sparkle just a bit more, and I prefer the bluish hues it projects in sunlight versus Havanna's brown appearance---again, especially on such a large car. If they had toned down the brown pigment somewhat, then I'd probably like Havanna Black much more. Just my opinion.
I think Havana is more of a mat finish where phantom black is A SEMI-glossy look and IMO, might be the better black. The emerald black i did not like but thats JMO

I saw glacier white in a showroom but I have yet to see Ibis in an A8. I saw ibis in an A6 and it seems to look nicer than the glacier white but I would have to see them together in an A8. Black will always carry a bit more elegance but there is more exterior contrast with white and A nice window tint on an Ibis A8 car would look striking.

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 10-06-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Nope, Havanna Black is a glossy metallic finish, same as Phantom Black---the difference is the pearl effect technique in how the finish is applied with Phantom. The Emerald Black metallic will have a decidedly more dark forrest green appearance in sunlight. All are clearcoat finished.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Nope, Havanna Black is a glossy metallic finish, same as Phantom Black---the difference is the pearl effect technique in how the finish is applied with Phantom. The Emerald Black metallic will have a decidedly more dark forrest green appearance in sunlight. All are clearcoat finished.
oh, ok. Its hard to tell from the AUDI site. I havent had a chance to see a Phantom and Havanna side by side. Boy would it be great if there were a few local dealers who would have all colrs on display? Or you'd figue tha wiht today technology, ther wud be a hologram (that you could manipulate) at the dealership showing all the colors - lol!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes A8L is Oolong Grey which has a really wide range of colors dependent upon light. It will look at various times grey, brown but both have a blueish hue. I am told that the Oolong has the lowest gloss of the metallics which I tend to believe. My preference was white, but our trade was a white S class, my R8 is white as well as my daughters A4 and other daughters Benz. A bit of change is good but I may regret it in the next year or so.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We also had Phantom on the D3 and even w/ all the new choices, we stayed with that color. Very elegant indeed, but yes we have 3 times the car wash expense as those with other colors. It is especially nice when the doors and/or trunk is open with the custom black and burgundy monogrammed woven floor mats and trunk liner - and certainly at night with the interior 'city lighting' effect.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I saw a glacier white next to an ibis white today. Ibis is a much nicer contrast with the black and chrome grille