A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
I have everything needed to measure the response of the Bose system. There just isn't any point to it if I cannot change anything.

Don't bother. I already did it.

Here is the same test when I bypass the Bose amp with a mObridge DA1 preamp.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that explain a lot, 15dB up from around 4KHz is just crazy bad. If you have a hearing defect it would probably be great but for others not so much.
Its actually a bit of a large "defect" to make sense, 6dB would probably be enough to tweak the system for a older then average demographic buyers if that was what they were thinking. (You typically loose the high end when you get older)
Old 08-18-2015, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Or you can turn the system up really loud and then it only sounds bad not horrible. As an added bonus it downs out the road noise from the crappy Pirellis. Now I get an error message about the acc not being available. This is my 3rd Audi, sad to say its likely my last.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I have found it lacking when listening to radio from time to time for certain songs, but I have found the Bose system when using the hard drive or CD player to never be of poor quality. While I really like the B&O, I still enjoy the Bose overall just fine. I don't know what problems you guys are all having that you are so vocal about your displeasure, I can only tell you that I haven't had the same experience.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Without knowing the full test parameters, I cannot comment on either graph. I know that when measuring a D2, microphone placement was critical and multiple sweeps had to be performed and averaged to nullify reflection and resonance issues. Simply throwing a spectrum analyzer, white noise, and a microphone at the car does not yield meaningful results.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A 8
Well that explain a lot, 15dB up from around 4KHz is just crazy bad. If you have a hearing defect it would probably be great but for others not so much.
Its actually a bit of a large "defect" to make sense, 6dB would probably be enough to tweak the system for a older then average demographic buyers if that was what they were thinking. (You typically loose the high end when you get older)
Keep in mind the measurement chart above is an electrical response, not acoustic response.

That's the power coming out of the amplifier, basically. I didn't have the testing equipment before I changed my system so I never got a chance to measure the acoustic response of the Bose.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
Without knowing the full test parameters, I cannot comment on either graph. I know that when measuring a D2, microphone placement was critical and multiple sweeps had to be performed and averaged to nullify reflection and resonance issues. Simply throwing a spectrum analyzer, white noise, and a microphone at the car does not yield meaningful results.
It's not acoustic response.

It's electrical response. That's what the Bose amp is sending to the speakers, summed together using the following channels:

Front Tweeter (L+R)
Front Midrange (L+R)
Front Midbass (L+R)
Subwoofer

7 channels summed together.

The lower chart is the same test, but with the Bose amp bypassed. The mObridge intercepts the digital audio signal from the MOST fiber network. It outputs a 2 channel stereo optical digital out.

The response is almost ruler flat, as it should be under ideal circumstances.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 08-18-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:47 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Keep in mind the measurement chart above is an electrical response, not acoustic response.

That's the power coming out of the amplifier, basically. I didn't have the testing equipment before I changed my system so I never got a chance to measure the acoustic response of the Bose.
Ok, that's very different and makes my comments completely irrelevant. I would think Bose should have tweaked the sound to deliver a relatively flat freq response.

Since you rebuilt yours how was the sound different to the original system?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A 8
Since you rebuilt yours how was the sound different to the original system?
It's not really a fair comparison. I have changed so much that it's really not even the same car anymore.

I do compete in car audio shows, and took a 1st Place in Sound Quality at the Daytona Spring Beak Nationals this year. So we must have done something right.

I'll be attended the IASCA and MECA Finals later this year, and hope to do well.
The following users liked this post:
Zaxx (10-20-2019)