A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boy what a differance tires make in handling and ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I sure have an axe now I tell ya. It's made me crazy dealing with all these crappy tires from them!

The DWS's were on for only two days! Funny thing is they were not too bad the first day, they got worse as I drove them into the second day. The are the worst so far, shake the vehicle so bad it is undrivable. By the end of the second day I could tell they were no longer round on a smooth road. Also for some reason, the DWS's want to pull to the left pretty hard, to the point where the steering wheel is cranked to the right. Far worse than the Goodyears I took off to go to the DWS 06's.

It's $125 to change tires and road force balance every time it goes in to change a set. Not to mention the shipping charges.

I'm smoking mad now to say the least. How could one spend sooooooo much money and try so many tires and not get something that can run smooth and not track straight?

Tire Rack has had their chance to get me something decent and has failed 100% of the time. Not too cool to say the least. If I didn't have an axe before, I sure do now I'll tell ya.

I had to go back to the old worn out smooth running summer conti3 "AO" tires. Stupid how and old worn out set of tires can run that smooth.

The DSW's are going to the Audi dealer to let them do some testing to figure out why they are so bad. I have to figure this out before winter gets here.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack

I just do not know what to think anymore. I know I am done with the Tire Rack.
And I'd be willing to bet they are done with you too.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
And I'd be willing to bet they are done with you too.

With the language I used on the last phone call with them, I think they know I've completely had it and will never use them again, so I could care less.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I sure have an axe now I tell ya. It's made me crazy dealing with all these crappy tires from them!

The DWS's were on for only two days! Funny thing is they were not too bad the first day, they got worse as I drove them into the second day. The are the worst so far, shake the vehicle so bad it is undrivable. By the end of the second day I could tell they were no longer round on a smooth road. Also for some reason, the DWS's want to pull to the left pretty hard, to the point where the steering wheel is cranked to the right. Far worse than the Goodyears I took off to go to the DWS 06's.

It's $125 to change tires and road force balance every time it goes in to change a set. Not to mention the shipping charges.

I'm smoking mad now to say the least. How could one spend sooooooo much money and try so many tires and not get something that can run smooth and not track straight?

Tire Rack has had their chance to get me something decent and has failed 100% of the time. Not too cool to say the least. If I didn't have an axe before, I sure do now I'll tell ya.

I had to go back to the old worn out smooth running summer conti3 "AO" tires. Stupid how and old worn out set of tires can run that smooth.

The DSW's are going to the Audi dealer to let them do some testing to figure out why they are so bad. I have to figure this out before winter gets here.

What I dont know is why dont you take it to a reputable independent mechanic/dealer with hunter road force balancing machines? There a guy at my audi dealer that would consistently get above 10 lbs of road force because they wont properly match mount my tires to my a8, a7 or a6 rims so I gave up on them and took it to auto europe (certified by tirerack) and the guy there spends 1-1.5 hours properly road forcing all my 4 wheels and get below 10 lbs spec. IF there is one tire that is bad, the assembly would get around 12-15 lbs, I would have tirerack replace that tire.

My a8L is on pilot sport a/s3 from tirerack and all have less then 10 lbs and at 40k miles they are still in perfect balance and smooth as butter at all speeds. My brother's 2014 Audi A6 has DWS and road force less then 8 lbs all from tirerack without issues. My new 2016 A7 has pilot sport a/s3 from tirerack, and 2 of them had 12 lbs so I got them replaced and now smooth as glass. My 2013 ML350 has Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires all from tirerack with less then 10 lbs road force. You just gotta go somewhere else to get them balance consistently. My 2013 Lexus GS350 F-sport had winter bridgestone blizzaks Lm32 from tirerack, and 1 tire had 18lbs so we got it replaced and all assembly were below 10 lbs and the car is smooth in winter time.

I would give another person a try and avoid the dealership, they are way too busy to spend more time on tire match mounting. Even my Lexus or BMW dealers are terrible at road force balancing. Dont blame tirerack or continentals.

Oh, all my tires from tirerack on all 5 cars hold their balance perfectly till worn out with routine balancing for the sake of it (no vibration or pulling etc). This is all because I get them balanced properly from beginning at my independent shop with hunter road force machine and not dealer.

Last edited by Baloo588; 10-01-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Baloo588
What I dont know is why dont you take it to a reputable independent mechanic/dealer with hunter road force balancing machines? There a guy at my audi dealer that would consistently get above 10 lbs of road force because they wont properly match mount my tires to my a8, a7 or a6 rims so I gave up on them and took it to auto europe (certified by tirerack) and the guy there spends 1-1.5 hours properly road forcing all my 4 wheels and get below 10 lbs spec. IF there is one tire that is bad, the assembly would get around 12-15 lbs, I would have tirerack replace that tire.

My a8L is on pilot sport a/s3 from tirerack and all have less then 10 lbs and at 40k miles they are still in perfect balance and smooth as butter at all speeds. My brother's 2014 Audi A6 has DWS and road force less then 8 lbs all from tirerack without issues. My new 2016 A7 has pilot sport a/s3 from tirerack, and 2 of them had 12 lbs so I got them replaced and now smooth as glass. My 2013 ML350 has Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires all from tirerack with less then 10 lbs road force. You just gotta go somewhere else to get them balance consistently. My 2013 Lexus GS350 F-sport had winter bridgestone blizzaks Lm32 from tirerack, and 1 tire had 18lbs so we got it replaced and all assembly were below 10 lbs and the car is smooth in winter time.

I would give another person a try and avoid the dealership, they are way too busy to spend more time on tire match mounting. Even my Lexus or BMW dealers are terrible at road force balancing. Dont blame tirerack or continentals.

Oh, all my tires from tirerack on all 5 cars hold their balance perfectly till worn out with routine balancing for the sake of it (no vibration or pulling etc). This is all because I get them balanced properly from beginning at my independent shop with hunter road force machine and not dealer.

You have to remember I'm running large 275/40/20's as well. The best I can get them is 12 or so pounds, and at 12 lbs it runs glass smooth compared to what I've had on the vehicle rpior. I don't have a good small shop around me with the Hunter road force machine either.

My Audi dealer is excellent with me, they went thru the local tire shop to replace the bad Conti DSW 06's that Tire Rack would not warranty, Tire Rack said they had to be over 25 lbs. I'm all set for winter now, but I have to say I don't like the DSW 06's as well as the Goodyears for feel. The DSW 06's get kind of floaty feeling and squirrely up above 85-90 and up, even inflated way over spec. They should be rated for just a touring tire I'd say. Hopefully they are as good in the snow as they claim, I really liked those Goodyear's, but Tire Rack just could not get them to me round like the local dealer could. Dang shame because they were a good tire otherwise.

From now on its only the local dealer or franchise tire dealer for me.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You have to remember I'm running large 275/40/20's as well. The best I can get them is 12 or so pounds, and at 12 lbs it runs glass smooth compared to what I've had on the vehicle rpior. I don't have a good small shop around me with the Hunter road force machine either.

My Audi dealer is excellent with me, they went thru the local tire shop to replace the bad Conti DSW 06's that Tire Rack would not warranty, Tire Rack said they had to be over 25 lbs. I'm all set for winter now, but I have to say I don't like the DSW 06's as well as the Goodyears for feel. The DSW 06's get kind of floaty feeling and squirrely up above 85-90 and up, even inflated way over spec. They should be rated for just a touring tire I'd say. Hopefully they are as good in the snow as they claim, I really liked those Goodyear's, but Tire Rack just could not get them to me round like the local dealer could. Dang shame because they were a good tire otherwise.

From now on its only the local dealer or franchise tire dealer for me.
I am sorry to hear this. I had this kind of experience before 5 years ago with a car that would never stay smooth with tires from discount tire so I stop going to them and decided to give tirerack a try and use road force balancing vs the traditional dynamic balancers.

The DWS were mushy for me and none of them were round. I got them from local retailer few years ago and they were garbage (25 plus lbs on all 4 ). The BMW 5 rode like a donky on the highway. So I went and got OEM Michelins for it and it rode smooth again. Its annoying that some set of tires at different retailers are not good as others... Hence the reason why I sticked with Michelins no matter where I go and what cars I have. The chances of out of round tires were slim compared to Continentals, Goodyears etc.

Otherwise, I see that you are happy that the car is riding smooth now with the DWS06 correct?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

My DWS 06 are superior to the old DWS in every way. I don't have any "floating" at speed but the ride is definitely smoother than other UHP all seasons I've owned and equally as good in the handling dept.. I love 'em and will keep shopping at Tire Rack with which I've never had any issues for the last 12 years. To each their own.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am sorry to hear this. I had this kind of experience before 5 years ago with a car that would never stay smooth with tires from discount tire so I stop going to them and decided to give tirerack a try and use road force balancing vs the traditional dynamic balancers.

The DWS were mushy for me and none of them were round. I got them from local retailer few years ago and they were garbage (25 plus lbs on all 4 ). The BMW 5 rode like a donky on the highway. So I went and got OEM Michelins for it and it rode smooth again. Its annoying that some set of tires at different retailers are not good as others... Hence the reason why I sticked with Michelins no matter where I go and what cars I have. The chances of out of round tires were slim compared to Continentals, Goodyears etc.

Otherwise, I see that you are happy that the car is riding smooth now with the DWS06 correct?

Yes, that is correct, the car is riding smooth now that the dealer got it sorted out and got a couple tires warrantied, its been a long haul for sure. These DSW 06's are mushier than the Goodyears for sure and do not handle nearly as crisp as the Goodyear Sports, even with the air pressure cranked up. I really would not call the DSW 06 a Ultra High Performance All-Season as soft as they are, the response just is not there and are quite soft to consider them any type of a performance tire. Another thing I notice with them as they get a little loud up over 85 MPH and up, yet they are good and quiet below that. Slower speeds they are fine, but overall I do not like the feel of them when running high speeds. I don't quite get it as they are Y rated for 186 MPH whereas the Goodyear Sports are W rated for 168 MPH. I'd certainly get Michelins if they made a reasonably priced, long lasting all season in the 265 or 275/40/20 sizing. I have the new Michelin Premier A/S on my wifes A6 and really like them, I wish they made them in my size!

I'll go back to the Goodyear next time only they will be from the franchise dealer. I really liked those other than the fact I couldn't get a round one from the Tire Rack is all. I have not had good tire experiences with the Tire Rack at all. I was going to try Discount Tire as they are not far from me, but it sounds as though this may not be an option with your bad experience there. I can't take another fiasco like I've just been thru with shaking out of round tires.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey Knappattack,

How are those DWS06 so far? Riding smooth without vibration? Any issues so far and what size do you have again in the 20 inch?

The problem I am having now is the same as yours.... I have vibration with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 plus new version size 255/45R20 from tirerack. Tire rack has been phenomenal for me over the years and I have 4 other cars with Michelins from Tirerack that rides smooth as glass and road force balance well.

However these new AS3 plus tires they sent have vibration and I keep getting them road force and they send replacement ones that are still out of round. WE tried 245/45R20 in the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 plus and still out of round....... BTW 3 of them are less than 10 lbs around 7 and 9 lbs whereas the last one is 15 lbs road force.

I am so pissed right now yet I am shocked that Michelin has this issue. I wanted to go with the older version AS3 tire which was perfect on my A8 and A7 or go with the DWS06 in size 275/45R20. Let me know.

Last edited by Baloo588; 05-13-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Hey Knappattack,

How are those DWS06 so far? Riding smooth without vibration? Any issues so far and what size do you have again in the 20 inch?

The problem I am having now is the same as yours.... I have vibration with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 plus new version size 255/45R20 from tirerack. Tire rack has been phenomenal for me over the years and I have 4 other cars with Michelins from Tirerack that rides smooth as glass and road force balance well.

However these new AS3 plus tires they sent have vibration and I keep getting them road force and they send replacement ones that are still out of round. WE tried 245/45R20 in the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 plus and still out of round....... BTW 3 of them are less than 10 lbs around 7 and 9 lbs whereas the last one is 15 lbs road force.

I am so pissed right now yet I am shocked that Michelin has this issue. I wanted to go with the older version AS3 tire which was perfect on my A8 and A7 or go with the DWS06 in size 275/45R20. Let me know.
D4. Size would probably be 275/40 20 for DWS06's--maybe was just a typo? I'm going to keep the S8 out of the harder winter conditions in the Sierras for while and use Q5 more; thus went with the DWS06's for the swing and marginal winter uses.

Quick Reply: Boy what a differance tires make in handling and ride