A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Dust...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nischal
Thats good to hear, but its the fronts on the S8 that are still not available. The part for the S8, S6, and S7 is dp32158c and they have an unknown ETA for production

Yea sorry, I didn't realize the brakes were different on the S models till after I posted.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to try this but haven't as yet.

RejeX
Old 07-14-2016, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad shop

Is there anything special about replacing the front brake pads on a 2015 A8? The car I just purchased has a "shake" when braking hard. The shop (high end specialty shop) that did my APR tune looked at them and said one side was at 6mm and the other side was at 12mm.

My closest Audi dealer is 200+ miles away. The car only has 12k miles and doesn't seem to have been driven hard at all.

I would prefer to just have a local shop do the pad replacement, unless there is something "magical" about doing that? And are there recommended pads that people like?
Old 07-14-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tjohnson1147
Is there anything special about replacing the front brake pads on a 2015 A8? The car I just purchased has a "shake" when braking hard. The shop (high end specialty shop) that did my APR tune looked at them and said one side was at 6mm and the other side was at 12mm.

My closest Audi dealer is 200+ miles away. The car only has 12k miles and doesn't seem to have been driven hard at all.

I would prefer to just have a local shop do the pad replacement, unless there is something "magical" about doing that? And are there recommended pads that people like?
I would think that if you are feeling a "shake" when braking that your brake rotors may be warped.

I had a local full service shop change the rotors and pads on my '11. It was moderately less expensive than the dealer.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by tjohnson1147

Dealer may be a hassle, but your symptoms are enough they might replace brakes under warranty. At least pads but maybe rotors too. They won't for straight wear, but the uneven wear and the shake on hard braking might be enough. As you will find, the rotors are pricy, as are the unusual seals/shims they use between the pads and the caliper pistons. Supposedly you don't resurface the pin type rotors either if they want to remove any (uneven) deposits on rotors either.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-14-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Agree on the warped rotor. A shake is not going to be from the pads, although you will want to replace them with the rotors. I'm a bit curious as to why there is such a difference in rotor thickness. Any sign of caliper malfunction?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Agree on the warped rotor. A shake is not going to be from the pads, although you will want to replace them with the rotors. I'm a bit curious as to why there is such a difference in rotor thickness. Any sign of caliper malfunction?
Difference reported was in pad thickness rather than rotor. And yes, it is often a sign of a brake caliper (hanging up) issue. Also, if rotors warped, any replaced rotors mean new pads automatically. More likely they have deposits on them, but people think of them as warped. The uneven pad wear--if it is really there--may be enough to get it covered, more so with shaking or other issues.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Difference reported was in pad thickness rather than rotor. And yes, it is often a sign of a brake caliper (hanging up) issue. Also, if rotors warped, any replaced rotors mean new pads automatically. More likely they have deposits on them, but people think of them as warped. The uneven pad wear--if it is really there--may be enough to get it covered, more so with shaking or other issues.
Best of luck getting it covered. I had a pulsation on my '11. Dealer said it was warped rotors and not covered under warranty. Replaced rotors and pads at my expense.

FYI, I'm very careful of not washing my cars immediately after driving to avoid uneven cooling of the rotors.

Less than a year later I noticed the pulsation again. Dealer again said warping and again recommended new pads and rotors. I asked about having the rotors machined since they were practically new. I was told that it was not allowed based on the design. Incidentally I was told that the pad sensor wires were found to be disconnected with a jumper installed. Strange...

This time I took it to a friends independent shop and had the rotors turned/machined and installed new pads. It turned out great!

But I do agree that the apparent uneven wear of the pads side to side may be an indication of a caliper malfunction. I'd approach it from that angle to try to get the pads and rotors covered by the warranty.

Last edited by motegi; 07-15-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by triniexr
I wanted to try this but haven't as yet.

RejeX
My brakes & rotors where replaced by PO. However I hate dirty wheels. Just ordered the REJEX and will report back of any improvement.
I can always tell when riding with someone whether they pay for or do there own brake work.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Garycw
I can always tell when riding with someone whether they pay for or do there own brake work.
I'm a bit curious, how can you tell that?