A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads, DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:39 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake pads, DIY?

Just had my brake pad light come on. I assume its the front pads and the car is at 62,000 km.

On my old D2 it was a really simple job to change but I cant find any details of how to do it on the D4, there is some on youtube for the D3.

Anyone have the instructions/advice for the D4?
Old 06-14-2016, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Happened to see this "how to" on C7 S6 board. Other than the decals on caliper, same set up for C7 S6's or S7's.

How-to: Installing brake pads on an S6/7 - AudiWorld Forums
Old 06-15-2016, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's the back pads, you're going to need a scan tool (I used VAG-COM) to put the real parking break control into the service position. Otherwise, this was very much like my old A6 - and I'm assuming most other Audis. If the caliper cradle needs to be removed (changing the disc), you'll probably need a triple-square tool.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:48 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Great, one step closer even though it seems a bit non DIY for someone like me. Those bolts usually sit very tight but maybe I can make it work.

Checking supply outside the Audi dealership on the pads makes me confused thought, there are quite a few options and examples are Brembo, ATE, TRW, Bosch, Zimmerman to name a few that I think are considered good. I am pretty sure one of these are the actual OEM's but don't know which ones.

This site has a few localized versions and a lot of options on the pads, any thoughts on a possible preference (OEM type pads)

Brake Pad Set for AUDI A8 (4H_) 4.2 FSI quattro - from 11.2009 371 hp ? Brake System
Old 06-15-2016, 09:52 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ppinto1
If it's the back pads, you're going to need a scan tool (I used VAG-COM) to put the real parking break control into the service position. Otherwise, this was very much like my old A6 - and I'm assuming most other Audis. If the caliper cradle needs to be removed (changing the disc), you'll probably need a triple-square tool.
Yes I've got the rosstech stuff so can do the rears as well if needed.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A 8
Great, one step closer even though it seems a bit non DIY for someone like me. Those bolts usually sit very tight but maybe I can make it work.

Checking supply outside the Audi dealership on the pads makes me confused thought, there are quite a few options and examples are Brembo, ATE, TRW, Bosch, Zimmerman to name a few that I think are considered good. I am pretty sure one of these are the actual OEM's but don't know which ones.

This site has a few localized versions and a lot of options on the pads, any thoughts on a possible preference (OEM type pads)

Brake Pad Set for AUDI A8 (4H_) 4.2 FSI quattro - from 11.2009 371 hp ? Brake System
OEM pads can come from a variety of suppliers--Brembo more likely here than normally in front because calipers are Brembo; Jurid, though I have seen those more in back and not commonly in recent years; TRW, and some others. Not sure where you are located, but probably not USA if you mention 62000km. In the USA, some years ago Audi cut prices on common wear and tune up parts, including brake components. They also essentially forced dealers to take less margin, or at least published suggested retail prices that had that effect. Thus, in USA common OE parts like these, rotors, filters, etc. are more competitive than you might guess, especially if you use one of the dealers that does a lot of internet business.

OE pads almost always come down to: highly reliable, reasonable wear and good progressive feel--neither grabby nor slippery. Oh, and one more little thing...dusty. Yep, on my S8 so far--check all the boxes, dust included. Thus I usually look at two principle choices and have used both a lot: dealer OE, or EBC Red. My EBC experience is they basically check the same boxes as OE except for one--less dust. Not no dust, but less. Like as much dust on the fronts as the rear OE's generate, as opposed to the 3 or 5x as much the OE front ones do. There are some other brands that are supposedly lower dust too, typically ceramic compounds. But, some of those have reputations and user experience that also come back as "slippery." Yep you can make them wear a long time and not dust much, but if you go too hard for better wear and/or less dust they can get slippery in feel. Slippery meaning more pedal application pressure, not a feeling they are biting in some when you want it, and maybe some unsettling question as you press down of how effective they ultimately are.

Finally on D4's a fair amount of this is academic, at least in front. There apparently are not really very many choices out there. Yes, same calipers and thus pads as other Audis with 4.0T or earlier 4.2 I guess (or if 3.0T then like SQ5). But not as many offerings as I have seen with prior Audis. However, since I usually go either OE or EBC, I haven't checked into it much besides already confirming EBC does have front and rear fitments for 4.0T/W12/S8.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-15-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

This is still confusing, I am in northern Europe and by the looks of it I can get the EBC red's however some of the other options are likely OEM's de-branded but there it no way to understand what to get.
I have Brembo brakes but if I sort the pads for Brembo it says they are either TRW-Lucas or Teves.
What does Brembo have to do with Lucas or Teves?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A 8
This is still confusing, I am in northern Europe and by the looks of it I can get the EBC red's however some of the other options are likely OEM's de-branded but there it no way to understand what to get.
I have Brembo brakes but if I sort the pads for Brembo it says they are either TRW-Lucas or Teves.
What does Brembo have to do with Lucas or Teves?
Brembo its own company. Teves/ATE is owned by Continental. Lucas likely still independent, or maybe it is in w/ TRW. Audi uses multiple sources. I know from a variety of prior Audi's with Ate front brake calipers that the one pad I usually did not find OE in front was Ate--if they were marked. Odd. Audi pads often have no manufacturer identification these days either, perhaps intentionally. The more recent ones I have found marked from the original factory set up have been either Brembo or TRW.

Net, buy by basic OE/non-OE and compound. First decide OE (meaning dealer to be sure) vs. non-OE. Then in non OE/dealer type you can sort between the organic/conventional ones and the ceramics. OE used to be organic, but circa 2014 at least some seemed to change to a ceramic, or rather somewhat lower dust which usually translates to ceramic. Over years and having tried some others, I always end up back at EBC red.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-10-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:17 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Ok, I will check the dealer prices on Monday and if not to bad I'll probably get them.

Another q though, I hooked up the VCDS just now and expected to find a code indicating if it was the front or the rears but get nothing?

How do I find out where the brake pad warning light have gotten triggered?
Old 06-18-2016, 06:22 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Figured there was no other way then to have a closer look and it turns out I got ATE calipers in the front and TRW in the rear. The front pads still had 5-6mm on them but the rear pads seemed to only have a mm or two so for now I am assuming its the rear pads that triggered the warning light.

Quick Reply: Brake pads, DIY?