A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common issues with the A8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Common issues with the A8?

Hey guys,

First post newbie here... lol

Coming from the land of Lexus I am not too familiar with the A8's quirks and common issues. I am looking to buy a 13 or 14 A8 L. Honestly, the 3.0 is probably sufficient for my needs but the 4.0 is tempting. I am coming from the LS series and quite familiar with their issues and how they drive / reliability. Can you guys comment on common issues and if you believe paying extra to get a CPO is worth it? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I was comparing LS and A8 and after driving both, I bought a new A8, even though I was looking for a CPO car. Two entirely different driving vehicles. The A8 is a drivers car and you get a lot more for the same amount of money with the A8. I have the 3.0T and it has more than enough torque for this old guy. I cannot comment on A8 common issues. I will be buying an aftermarket warranty just to cover myself, as I intend to keep this car for a long time.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I totally agree that the LS is not a "drivers" car in that it is not as engaging and sporty. It's not designed to be either so you really can't fault it for this. It is exceptionally reliable though and this really is my main focus. I also like Audi's interior better. I am leaning towards getting a CPO. Just not knowing the vehicle / cost maintenance and parts has me a little concerned. I do want to keep it until 150 - 200k miles.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 2014 was a refresh year, some subtle cosmetic changes. I personally would most definitely go for a cpo in either a 2014 or 2015, in a used car, wouldn't want the potential for inheriting a problem car without a good warranty, but that could just be me. I've had a 2016 s8 for a month, love the car, love the turbo v8, love the interior, build, quietness, ride, handling for a big car. Prior to newer a8's, you had the choice of standard or long wheel base, the s8 only comes in shorter wheel base, I believe there are many more a8's with the long wheel base, other than the potential need for a few more inches of leg room in back seat, I would get the short wheel base for a variety of reasons, better handling, but they could be harder to find. The v8 is harder to find as well, engine is a beast, if you like the occasional rush of torque and power, it's great, but I would agree that the v6 is more than sufficient. Being a model at end of run, the technology is starting to feel a bit dated, but that could be same for Lexus as well. The technology works well enough, but clearly could be better. The Bose stereo is decent some like the B&O better but I think it's very over rated and over priced. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you guys know if the turbo direct injection engines suffer from any carbon buildup on the intake valves? Seems to a fairly common issue DIT engines. I know Lexus uses both port and DI to help prevent this.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

If your comparison (or history) is a Lexus and you intend to own for more than a year or two, yes I would probably buy CPO--and do myself even as a heavy DIY'er.

2015 was the mid-life refresh year for D4 in USA BTW, so w/ 2013's or 2014's you are looking before that. All part of how they price though, and will be more of that vintage that have come off leases.

Not enough info on carbon build up on D4's. Like many companies with FSI/DI, it is an issue in some motors, most now somewhat older. But, not really much discussion comes up about it here.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info. I had my eye on a single owner 3.0 L CPO for a rather good price. I am finalizing the deal as I type this. About to be a proud A8 owner. I'll share pics soon.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Wonderful, and enjoy! Sway bar links, adaptive sensor alignment, windshield leaks, and plugged drains are all things to keep an eye out for, but only the first happens enough to be something I'd call common.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yep, sway bar links. had mine replaced a few weeks back and I was the 2nd or 3rd guy in that day with the same issue. CPO'd so no worries.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
Hey guys,

First post newbie here... lol

Coming from the land of Lexus I am not too familiar with the A8's quirks and common issues. I am looking to buy a 13 or 14 A8 L. Honestly, the 3.0 is probably sufficient for my needs but the 4.0 is tempting. I am coming from the LS series and quite familiar with their issues and how they drive / reliability. Can you guys comment on common issues and if you believe paying extra to get a CPO is worth it? Thanks in advance.
I came from a Lexus LS460, and could not be happier with my 2014 A8 4.0T. This is another class of vehicle: a driver's cars. I am never going back to the Japanese sleepmobiles any more having owned two LS's.

Quick Reply: Common issues with the A8?